Login

3rd Party REQ: LA2A Compressor Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

3rd Party REQ: LA2A Compressor Collection

Postby jesse.nemitz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 pm

I haven't seen one floating around but it seems with the limitation of just two knobs, this compressor might be a perfect candidate for Nebula. Otherwise I'm not sure why this hasn't been done.

I rent these all the time, they all sound a bit different. Even the summit tla 50 and 100 have a unique character.. The UAD plugin version is pretty crispy and the waves/T-racks... ugh.. nobody has the gooey quality perfect.

So what about getting a badass LA2A library so we could do the la2a/1176 combo on those vocals ?
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: 3rd Party REQ: LA2A Compressor Collection

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am

Fast attack so even if someone does it won't work as an LA-2A does. There is a line-amp/no compression preset already somewhere (I think maybe STN as a community edition?).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:50 am

ngarjuna wrote:Fast attack so even if someone does it won't work as an LA-2A does. There is a line-amp/no compression preset already somewhere (I think maybe STN as a community edition?).

Hit the nail on the head. There is one from STN and also another from CDSoundmaster in one of the Producer Packs.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 am

Henry has one as one of the "mojo" presets. Combine it with one of the better algo versions to get the behavior, and you will be very very close to the real sound, in my opinion.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm

i'm up for sampling these compressor's. just give me a little time....

Wanted to find out if the neb crowd would like a pack of different compressors or single's. I was thinking of doing a classic collection , but will take sometime.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 am

program dependant release also?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 pm

SWAN wrote:program dependant release also?

Good point, although it makes me think about AlexB's GMC programs. There's several with AUTO release so now I REALLY wonder how those are working :ugeek:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 am

I don't think the release would be the problem; there are indeed other programs with automatic program-dependent release. But the attack on the LA-2A is fast, fast, fast; the old Urei manual says 10microseconds (although my understanding is that number is not accurate, it's closer to 10ms)? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it; the LA-2A is the bees knees.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:40 am

I always thought La2a was slow , Maybe i'm wrong. 10ms sounds right if slow .10 micro sounds like a 1176? It's Electro-Optical, so slow in theory.

My free comp is a Electro-Optical and has a slowish attack. But its the playback engine which can't do fast attack.But if your above 88.2 and 128 buffer you get slightly faster rate so attack is more accurate to the source. If we had a buffer of 64 we could get faster attack still. It will be possible in the future.You can modify the xml to get a faster rate but will result in high cpu and artifacts.

Release if fast can cause problems too. Strange distortions can occur. But this is only on very fast release. Artifacts are the problem. Fast rise and fall seem to create distortions.

All in all la2a if slow attack, should be no problem to sample. Maybe it's release will cause problems? I've heard the release is quite complex because it changes as it falls?
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 am

timp wrote:I always thought La2a was slow , Maybe i'm wrong. 10ms sounds right if slow .10 micro sounds like a 1176? It's Electro-Optical, so slow in theory.

My free comp is a Electro-Optical and has a slowish attack. But its the playback engine which can't do fast attack.But if your above 88.2 and 128 buffer you get slightly faster rate so attack is more accurate to the source. If we had a buffer of 64 we could get faster attack still. It will be possible in the future.You can modify the xml to get a faster rate but will result in high cpu and artifacts.

Release if fast can cause problems too. Strange distortions can occur. But this is only on very fast release. Artifacts are the problem. Fast rise and fall seem to create distortions.

All in all la2a if slow attack, should be no problem to sample. Maybe it's release will cause problems? I've heard the release is quite complex because it changes as it falls?

Yes, from an old manual:
Release Time
approximately 0.06 seconds for 50% release, 0.5 to 5.0 seconds for complete release depending upon amount of previous reduction

I've heard the 2A described as both "fast" and "slow" by different people (it does not have adjustable attack heh). Without debating subjectives Urei's published manual does read "essentially instantaneous (10 micro seconds)". There are apparently those who consider that number to be incorrect as well so...dunno.

Other cool features of the LA-2A:
-2 different slopes
-can be stereo linked with another 2A
-later units had the R37 control which adjusted the response of the unit above 1K. it was located on the back of the unit so I don't think it was constantly tweaked as such in normal practice.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries