Login

Limiter?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Limiter?

Postby sheever » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 pm

oh yes...
the next thing I am wondering about...
how difficult to sample some great limiter?lets say for master limit.
is it the same Nebula support required as the compressors?
or I guess even worst...
it need to hold the peaks and actually need very fast screen to controll the signal..
might this is the future only but I would say thats the way to smash the plugin world because this way would be full range of technical tools covered for the users.

as I can see the 3rd part developers getting better and better in quality and worked out how to take less CPU power and memory which is very promises!
the EQs are fantastic day by day but almost all famous EQ recorded already so I dont know what they can pull it out of the hat next time but to recording so many EQs from one point would be work against themselfs.
so I think this experiences could be taken into the newest projects on new territories?:)
am I wrong?
sheever
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Limiter?

Postby greekpeet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 am

I think this is being addressed, and will be developed when they get compression under way.

That being said its going to be an exciting year for the development of this platform for sure!

Be patient though, some of us are still waiting for a proper AU port and maybe Nebula Server to boot. That might be first before compression/limiting. Who knows!
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby tumburu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 am

Maybe analog limiters. Digital with look-ahead ones I'm not sure they can be sampled properly.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 am

Giancarlo and I were working on this at the last phase of the process. Things were working well for compression but not for limiting. There are a lot of reasons; none of them really problems with Nebula, but the fact that the character of the goal of compression is different.

When a great sounding compressor is doing its job, it is creating an obvious sound of its own. The more extreme the setting, the more obvious its character is. With limiting, the most important work happens at very subtle levels and small amounts of dB. The more it does, the more it should be transparent. What was working well for us was high ratio deep threshold, and medium threshold. This was tracking variation in attack release settings and reporting back correctly. But, trying to sample lets say 2dB of a limiter, this is more like driving a signal to a point of handling peaks, and it doesn't respond the same. The perfect solution in my opinion, is allowing a certain amount of limiting behavior happen from Nebula engine itself, where it can do things subtle according to what is reported from sampling. Then, at more obvious settings, the tracking can come from more obvious envelope following of the changes in timing.
I'm sure there will be solutions.
The coolest part was actually seeing a print-out of changes in attack and release. Giancarlo is simply brilliant!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ericus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 am

tumburu wrote:Giancarlo is simply brilliant!
Hey! That's a big surprise...NOT! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to hear the results of your hard work guys!
ericus

Return to 3rd party libraries