Login

AlexB - Preamp Colors & Saturation

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Preamp Colors & Saturation + GDRIVE

Postby Vernon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi,

I've tried to patch the PC&S libraries with the preamp GDRIVE patch but the GDRIVE control overwrite the Saturation one...
Is there a simple way to have both without manually editing the individual library's controls?

Thanks, Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Re: AlexB - Preamp Colors & Saturation

Postby richie43 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Why? The saturation control is a better choice in my opinion for this library. To my knowledge, Alex's saturation is basically the same, it is driving the input of the preamp harder (which is what the GDRIVE is also doing).
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Vernon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Richie and thanks for the reply!

I only would be sure of the same result, in fact Alexb manual says: "With the SAT control you can change the real saturation by driving the input stage
+/- 12dB without changing the output level.".

Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:51 am

Vernon wrote:Hi Richie and thanks for the reply!

I only would be sure of the same result, in fact Alexb manual says: "With the SAT control you can change the real saturation by driving the input stage
+/- 12dB without changing the output level.".

Vernon

That sounds like a GDRIVE to me. I have applied the GRDIVE patch to all of my older libraries (where it's applicable), but some of the newer ones (Alex, Gemini) are perfect (for me) right "out of the box".
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby AlexB » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am

SAT control applied to my libraries is the GDRIVE optimized and with different scale: +/-6dB, +/-12dB and so.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:56 am

I've been hearing some chatter regarding the NPNG preamps. Seems to be getting some very positive reviews.

hmmm ... any chance for a Nebula version ??
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby wagz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:33 am

On most hardware, for more saturation, you simply dime (turn up a lot) the input level and turn down the output level to balance out the volume. Does this suite work the same way?

I am asking because of what is written in the manual. This is a quote from the manual:

"The programs are unity gain.
With the SAT control you can change the real saturation by driving the input stage
+/- 12dB without changing the output level. You can use the “DRIVE” control to drive the plugin over the original
characteristics."

I don't understand what is written here. Can someone explain it to me? I checked all over the Nebula skin for a "SAT control", but I didn't find it. Are you saying that I should be using the input parameter on Nebula to saturate the preamps? According to what I just posted from the manual, I should be able to crank the input without the output level jumping up. However, when I try to do that, the output does jump very high in level.

I don't understand what was written about the "DRIVE" control, either.

Are you saying that using the "DRIVE" control will alter the sound of the program in such a way that the result wouldn't even sound like you ran through whatever preamp was selected? Also, when I crank the DRIVE control, the output level goes up. So, I have yet to find the "SAT control" that was mentioned.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby botus99 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:55 pm

wagz wrote:On most hardware, for more saturation, you simply dime (turn up a lot) the input level and turn down the output level to balance out the volume. Does this suite work the same way?

I am asking because of what is written in the manual. This is a quote from the manual:

"The programs are unity gain.
With the SAT control you can change the real saturation by driving the input stage
+/- 12dB without changing the output level. You can use the “DRIVE” control to drive the plugin over the original
characteristics."

I don't understand what is written here. Can someone explain it to me? I checked all over the Nebula skin for a "SAT control", but I didn't find it. Are you saying that I should be using the input parameter on Nebula to saturate the preamps? According to what I just posted from the manual, I should be able to crank the input without the output level jumping up. However, when I try to do that, the output does jump very high in level.

I don't understand what was written about the "DRIVE" control, either.

Are you saying that using the "DRIVE" control will alter the sound of the program in such a way that the result wouldn't even sound like you ran through whatever preamp was selected? Also, when I crank the DRIVE control, the output level goes up. So, I have yet to find the "SAT control" that was mentioned.

The SAT control works the same as the G-Drive control in other libraries (turns up the input/turns down the output simultaneously), while drive artificially turns up or down the harmonics independent of the source audio.

Personally, I try to leave the Drive control alone and get my sound through the SAT/G-Drive, since that's more authentic to the original hardware. However, the Drive control can bring some welcome possibilities.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby wagz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:32 pm

botus99 wrote:The SAT control works the same as the G-Drive control in other libraries (turns up the input/turns down the output simultaneously)...

Thank you for responding to my query, botus99. I guess what I am trying to say is: Where is the "SAT control"? I don't see it anywhere on the skin. I've tried the PCS skin that came with the suite...as well as the default red one that I use. I would like to use the SAT control feature, but I simply don't see it. :(
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby richie43 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm

wagz wrote:Thank you for responding to my query, botus99. I guess what I am trying to say is: Where is the "SAT control"? I don't see it anywhere on the skin. I've tried the PCS skin that came with the suite...as well as the default red one that I use. I would like to use the SAT control feature, but I simply don't see it. :(

Are you possibly referring to a different library? This is about the Preamp Color Suite, isn't it?...are you perhaps using the Modern Tube preamp?
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries