Login

Guitar DI and Nebula?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Guitar DI and Nebula?

Postby jpchartrand » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone use Nebula to process on guitar/bass DI's?

If so...Can you please describe exactly how you are using Nebula and which libraries?

Thanks !
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Guitar DI and Nebula?

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm

It's a good question. I guess own hammer would be a good place to look for guitar stuff. I will be making some overdrive's and amp stuff in the future, With correct impedance's etc. Don't know how much has been captured so a guitar would sound correct going straight into daw.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Ownhammer for sure. They have some poweramps sampled from guitar amps. And they have amazing cabs, of course. CDSM had a deep sampling of a vox amp, but I only saw it offered to existing customers months ago, but never made it to a public release for some reason. Email Michael at CDSM and ask. Also, signaltonoise has a very simple but awesome sounding set of prests sampled from (I think) a Fender Twin. I use that quite a bit, but it is a very clean sound. Fot higher gain guitars I still use my favorite amp-sim and replace the cab with a Nebula cab (If I am not mic-ing a real cab!!)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 am

richie43 wrote:Ownhammer for sure. They have some poweramps sampled from guitar amps. And they have amazing cabs, of course. CDSM had a deep sampling of a vox amp, but I only saw it offered to existing customers months ago, but never made it to a public release for some reason. Email Michael at CDSM and ask. Also, signaltonoise has a very simple but awesome sounding set of prests sampled from (I think) a Fender Twin. I use that quite a bit, but it is a very clean sound. Fot higher gain guitars I still use my favorite amp-sim and replace the cab with a Nebula cab (If I am not mic-ing a real cab!!)

Michael's Vox offering is part of the Producer's Pack 2 (there's Vox and Marshall guitar programs in that). I did not know about the Twin, thanks for sharing that. Will have to go check it out now...
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:23 am

ngarjuna wrote:Michael's Vox offering is part of the Producer's Pack 2 (there's Vox and Marshall guitar programs in that). I did not know about the Twin, thanks for sharing that. Will have to go check it out now...

No, not that Vox amp Ngarjuna. Just recently Michael had worked up a very very deep and complex sampling of a newer Vox Tonelab amp, a modeling amp. I did a bunch of testing for it. He sent out the emails for the discounted price for previous customers, but I never saw it offered for sale on the site. I think that it was actually over many peoples heads, it was not a "set-it-and-forget-it" library, it required quite a bit of tweaking before great sounds came out. And because it is Nebula, it wasn't something you can track through (in real-time), so I have a feeling that most peoples overwhelming urges for quicker satisfaction took priority to patience..... Shoot Michael an email and ask about it, it is a pretty cool library if you spend time with it first.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 am

richie43 wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Michael's Vox offering is part of the Producer's Pack 2 (there's Vox and Marshall guitar programs in that). I did not know about the Twin, thanks for sharing that. Will have to go check it out now...

No, not that Vox amp Ngarjuna. Just recently Michael had worked up a very very deep and complex sampling of a newer Vox Tonelab amp, a modeling amp. I did a bunch of testing for it. He sent out the emails for the discounted price for previous customers, but I never saw it offered for sale on the site. I think that it was actually over many peoples heads, it was not a "set-it-and-forget-it" library, it required quite a bit of tweaking before great sounds came out. And because it is Nebula, it wasn't something you can track through (in real-time), so I have a feeling that most peoples overwhelming urges for quicker satisfaction took priority to patience..... Shoot Michael an email and ask about it, it is a pretty cool library if you spend time with it first.

Aha interesting. Thanks Richie.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby MegaDude » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:22 pm

What I do when I DI (which I imagine is pretty common) is use some amp sim, usually guitar rig 4, or the ones that come with Logic 8, for tracking. Then when it comes to mix/render, I put nebula cdsoundmasters vintage tubes and tubebooster *in front of* the ampsim in the chain, and adjust the ampsim's parameters slightly to taste. I usually then put another tube program after the ampsim. I think it sounds pretty good, and is a decent compromise -- sort of like how some people combine algo compressors and nebula compressors.
MegaDude
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mathias » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:28 pm

to put one of the tubes of michaels vintagetube library in front of amp sims, compressors, ... anywhere in front of algo-plugs is kind of a secret tip 8-)

try it anywhere and hear what you get!

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Ok so basically I guess the following chain would be best...

Vintagetube -> Amp Sim -> OwnHammer Cab -> Vintage Tube ?
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Vernon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm

+1 for OwnHammer.
The chain OwnHammer Amp + OwnHammer Cab is winning...

Bye, Vernon
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries