Login

Bricasti M7

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bricasti M7

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 pm

yeah mitch, i've experienced weird results sampling reverbs where i'm using an analog connection also. the units i sampled weren't high end, but i would get these really weird artifacts in the tails. i spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly caused those, to no avail. i guess as you say, the tails are just more sensitive somehow.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Cupwise wrote:yeah mitch, i've experienced weird results sampling reverbs where i'm using an analog connection also. the units i sampled weren't high end, but i would get these really weird artifacts in the tails. i spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly caused those, to no avail. i guess as you say, the tails are just more sensitive somehow.

Hi cupwise,
I didn't sample the reverbs with NAT, I simply used a reverb in a project.
And going analog in and out of the M3000 made an audible loss of clarity and transparency in the reverb tails.
On a lead vocal you could hear something was a bit muddy in the reverb.

Then, I imagin that there could be other parameters inside NAT that could bring audible artefacts/phase issues in the reverb tails, as they are sensitive parts of the signal.
But I don't know what would cause that on the NAT/Nebula side.
The fact is that if you begin with a perfectly clean impulse signal beeing recorded, then you can face the next problems (i.e the settings inside of NAT/Nebula) with a clean basis.

Regards
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby dpclarkson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm

BUT, the moment that the actual drum is finished, say you have a single kick drum and nothing after it, the 1ms release time means that the envelope follower almost instantly takes the impulse player down so that it's playing the quietest sampled dynamic step. that means that if you have a 10sec reverb, the sample at the level matching the input level is played only during the duration of that input, but the rest of the 10sec is played by the quietest sampled step, because now nothing else is going into nebula so the envelope follower takes the impulse/sample player down to the lowest one. in the real world, if a loud sound triggers a natural reverb, it will reverberate as the reverberation of a loud sound throughout it's duration. with default nebula reverb program settings it magically goes down to reverberating as if it were a really quiet sound, once there's no new input keeping that envelope follower up in the higher dynamic steps.

Cupwise, that's interesting.
I'm doing some research on how to sample
a convolution plugin properly, and I want to
mimic the dynamic behaviour of acoustic spaces;
differences in reverb time and frequency response
at different incoming levels.
Surely it should be possible to have a reverb program
consisting of multiple layers.
I remember a post from Roomhunters saying
that they have programs with 3 layers.
So I wonder how they pulled it off.
Any suggestion would be great!
dpclarkson

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:32 am

Just a quick note to say that the last few hours testing Henry's work are promising. I think it is going to be all 96kHz and it should follow Casey's "100% Free" request. There is not accurate way to downsample to 44.1kHz outside Nebula. It would have to be the exact same process repeated in the 30-layer separate stereo sampling process that is being done at 96kHz. The two rates do not relate to each other the same way that you can down-sample via conversion for a song or mix. It takes a while to load if converting to 44.1kHz but it plays back smoothly live on a relatively slow computer (regular dual core 4 gig ram 32 bit OS AMD2).
Sent audio to Henry to test samples against hardware again to see how it passes the ear test :-)
Great work so far Henry! :-)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Animus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 am

adam73 wrote:i think a single 20gb zip file could be a great idea, but due to many different download speeds some people may wait for a long time to try, if each preset is between 200-300mb then maybe an upload of individual presets? also i'd like to say a huge thank you to
Michael and Henry for making this happen, very kind of you :D

Organize different rars to correspond to the different preset registers on the M7. So one would have all the Halls, one the Plates, one the NonLin etc
Animus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby turbotrixie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people who are excited for this project :)
turbotrixie
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Animus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm

So I've been sampling some presets on my M7 over the weekend and let me tell you I am extremely pleased. I have to really pay attention to tell a difference once the wet levels are matched. As Henry said there is a slightly more enveloping sound with the real hardware perhaps but in a way it's "cleaner". Overall though the sound and character is right on. Way better than the regular convolution IR's of the M7 I've tried, and I would say even the Nebula captures are better than any other native reverb I have.

I am very pleased as once you have a M7 you can't really use any other reverb and to run a mix realtime I really need to have several but that would be expensive. :-) At first was going to try the Nebula M7 thing as temps in a mix and then render the real thing in the final mix but it's close enough I probably won't bother.

Also, this was my first foray into NAT sampling. It was fun. I never realized it took so long! Around 2 hours per preset! Wow.
Animus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Animus wrote:So I've been sampling some presets on my M7 over the weekend and let me tell you I am extremely pleased. I have to really pay attention to tell a difference once the wet levels are matched. As Henry said there is a slightly more enveloping sound with the real hardware perhaps but in a way it's "cleaner". Overall though the sound and character is right on. Way better than the regular convolution IR's of the M7 I've tried, and I would say even the Nebula captures are better than any other native reverb I have.

I am very pleased as once you have a M7 you can't really use any other reverb and to run a mix realtime I really need to have several but that would be expensive. :-) At first was going to try the Nebula M7 thing as temps in a mix and then render the real thing in the final mix but it's close enough I probably won't bother.

Also, this was my first foray into NAT sampling. It was fun. I never realized it took so long! Around 2 hours per preset! Wow.

I'll send you an email about Bricasti M7, but remember I'm slow, very slow.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Definity » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Its not long now, Henry said it would have a January release, is this still the case?

I'm more excited about this than my New Years party :lol:
Definity

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 am

We should have something soon. There is just one last thing I need to figure out. I have nailed the sound on a plate better than before but a clean final deconvolve is what I need to figure out. I am doing a two stage process that takes the best part of half a day just for one preset so this will be a slow roll out. Once I figure that last part out it will be all systems go as I have figured out the methodology to a large degree. Very convoluted. It also means one preset only per program.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries