Login

Bricasti M7

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bricasti M7

Postby david1103 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

best solution for distribution is a torrent, but also using a seedbox. there could be a seedbox donate button and this money *only* goes towards that. this would mean initially the torrent will seed from the seedbox at insane speed, when the bandwidth has run out then it will revert back to the users who downloaded to seed.

i remember the days of nebula-programs torrents, there were a lot of people who just didn't get it. there will be a danger of endless posts saying the torrents are not working due to various config problems. there would need to be a strategy for dealing with that.

2nd best would be a service like dropbox/yousendit, but it would need donations to pay for the bandwidth.

maybe acustica-audio website could host it? i think it will be a great promotion for nebula and more copies will sell, could be a fair deal :)

seems sampling at 96k then using the SoX resampler in post production for 44.1 would be best. i am sure most people use 44.1, but 96k will become standard soon when PCs catch up.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Ah sample rate...much ado about nothing. Just release the native library; many of the already great Nebula reverbs are 96K (VNXT, Michael's PP2 rooms to name a few). It takes a little extra time to load instances but...we're talking about time measured in single digit seconds. If that's gonna make or break it for someone then Nebula probably ain't for them in the first place.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm

I don't care much about loading times but using 96 programs @ 44.1 gives audio quality degradation.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWAN » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:05 pm

the problem is with torrents is that they have a bad rep in the audio community, some people dont know hwo to use them.

I think PR is important here. If Bricasti is being used as a flagship high end audio product given away free for anyone to use and hear Nebula technology - then it should be hosted with a simple download strategy which appears professional. There was a lot of grumbling from people about the Nebula Programs torrent situation - and whilst its cool for a community to torrent - I would hope with Bricasti - this wants to be more than a little community launch. Maybe I am getting grand ideas for Nebula - but I would like it to be recognised - and for 'pros' not to have more reason to complain about things being confusing...

If it is possible - I think it should be hosted by AA on this website with the other free content-available to download immediately with the free player. This is because AA and Nebula will gain the most from new users of Nebula who come for the free version. New users will be some percentage of overall downloads....

If AA desires perhaps they could handle the 'new user' traffic who download the free player for Bricasti...but the load could be split to another host elsewhere for the current Nebula userbase...

Its worth noting it 'could' be worth Michael or Henry hosting due to increased traffic and promotion for their own stuff...but I dont know how much hosting is...unfortunately Im not sure the 'donate to host' model is ok with the free bricasti ethos...

Anyway host or not - perhaps Henry and Michael can include a couple of documents in the download with a sales list of all their lovely stuff for promotion, and documenting the production of the Bricasti...then at least as soon as new people come on board - they find out about Michael and Henry collections and go shopping.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:50 pm

RJHollins wrote:Should two versions be released, I would grab both ... but I would likely install 44.1 for day to day work.

ditto that!
futur2

Postby mitch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 am

I agree AA could host the files because this would be a great promotion for them: it would be more easy for all those who aren't aware of how torrents work.
And torrents do have a pirat image...

Then I think 96 khz as a native resolution would be cool and futur proof.
But if it was possible to have also a 44.1 available, that would be cool.
But I don't know really how much loading time/dsp power a 44.1 version would bring?

About the sampling process, I would strongly recommend to try to do it only digital without any AD/DA, even if the convertors are good quality.
I tried the difference between using a good AD/DA convertor with a M3000 and going through the effect in digital, and the digital loop was much more trasparent.

Anyway, thank you so much for doing this, guys, it is so generous!!

Regards
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 am

mitch wrote:About the sampling process, I would strongly recommend to try to do it only digital without any AD/DA, even if the convertors are good quality.
I tried the difference between using a good AD/DA convertor with a M3000 and going through the effect in digital, and the digital loop was much more trasparent.

Regards

If I understand how NAT works (which I may not), I think it is impossible to sample a piece of hardware into a Nebula emulation without converting to audio and reconverting to digital. Isn't that what we are trying to emulate, the analog circuitry and analog signal path, and in the end, the analog sound? Correct me if I'm wrong, this has gotten me very curious and a bit confused.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:28 am

richie43 wrote:
mitch wrote:About the sampling process, I would strongly recommend to try to do it only digital without any AD/DA, even if the convertors are good quality.

Regards

If I understand how NAT works (which I may not), I think it is impossible to sample a piece of hardware into a Nebula emulation without converting to audio and reconverting to digital. Isn't that what we are trying to emulate, the analog circuitry and analog signal path, and in the end, the analog sound? Correct me if I'm wrong, this has gotten me very curious and a bit confused.

you can sample the M7 digitally using the AES connection- no need for an extra AD/DA.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, I had no idea. I still wonder if the end result would be any better.....? Different, I am sure, but would it be better? Maybe I am not wrapping my head around this properly, but there seems to me to be some reason to sample the actual audio characteristics of the unit.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Digital audio IS actually an audio signal as well as analog audio.
The reverb works internaly in digital,
so it has to convert the incoming signal if it is analog.
AND what goes out of NAT when sampling is a digital signal (everything inside a computer is digital).

Even if the machine is high end and has good built in convertors, the less conversions, the better.
And in the case of a rather high end processor like the M3000, I found the sound beeing more pure and clean when using an adat send/return loop to and from the reverb.
Maybe it has something to do with the low level reverb tails signals which are very sensitive to the distortion and noise added by the convertors.(even if it is a very light distortion you can feel it clearly).

So to me it can only be better to make a digital loop for sampling a digital processor.
It is better than using a D/A convertor on the output of the computer, an A/D convertor on the input of the reverb, and then a D/A convertor at the output of the reverb, and an A/D convertor at the input of NAT. ;)

Regards
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries