Login

Bricasti M7

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Bricasti M7

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:03 pm

jeffbdavis wrote:Thanks to Henry, Michael and Casey! Great to see this moving forward.

I agree with a 44k 'community' version that works in nebFree and a 96k version available to commercial nebula users.

As far as distribution, maybe a torrent? Cheap, fast downloads and everyone shares the bandwidth...

Torrents are a great idea. The only thing I see wrong with separate packages available for Neb free and Neb Pro is that the Bricasti developers are very serious about it being very good and very free. If the Pro users are the only people with access to the higher quality 96kHz version, than isn't that one (even small) step toward making a quality distinction based on what you have paid for? I am a Pro user, so this isn't about me. But fair is fair, and free means free. Besides, offering 2 packages makes more work for the devs who are not allowed to make money from this, so maybe we need to really look at this as a total community thing and decrease the work for devs, offer up the same package for everyone for free. Just my opinion, of course.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Could you tease us with some audio demo's yet Mr Henry? or are we gonna have to wait ;)
Definity

Postby mweldridge » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 pm

I would have to vote for the 'free to all' option. I think that is in keeping with the Bricasti developer's generosity and the Acustica manifesto of equalizing the toolsets available to all.

While I agree that torrents are probably the most efficient way to distribute a large library like this, among many in this field they carry the taint of cracked software. If the goal is to use the leverage of a free Bricasti library to encourage a broader acceptance of Nebula then I think you have to pursue a distribution method that encourages the widest possible audience.
mweldridge
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Definity wrote:Could you tease us with some audio demo's yet Mr Henry? or are we gonna have to wait ;)

I would love to but we are not quite in the clear yet. We are just still testing and sending stuff out to beta testers in the very early stages of critical listening. It would be fair to unleash only what the golden ears believe is worth releasing so we may have to just wait a little bit longer for demos and comparisons.

As an aside, I am also kind of a video guy and delve in various forums and what tends to happen is there is always excitement with a new camera release. Some dude steals a few seconds of footage under less than ideal conditions and then the pixel peepers come out the woodwork and complain about a product that hasn't even been released. Nay sayers queue up to say what is wrong with it and and every blogger on the planet then regurgitates the info and before you know it it's hard to back track. So for now it will just be a select few and once it's agreed that we have it perhaps almost there then there will be plenty of demos I am sure. Hope you understand. :P
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby CoolColJ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 pm

You could always host it on a free cloud service like Mediafire - much faster than torrents
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby jpchartrand » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18 am

CoolColJ wrote:You could always host it on a free cloud service like Mediafire - much faster than torrents

+1
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 am

CoolColJ wrote:You could always host it on a free cloud service like Mediafire - much faster than torrents

dont think you can get 20+Gb free tho which is prob what we are looking at...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby jeffbdavis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:18 am

SWAN wrote:dont think you can get 20+Gb free tho which is prob what we are looking at...

Exactly. Plus, they're kind of a pain to use. Like only being able to download one piece at a time or taking forever because they limit bandwidth to unpaid users...
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby CoolColJ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 am

Mediafire has 50Gb free I believe, and has no download limits, and you can parallel download with download managers

I have gotten up to 5+ MB/s on it
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:14 am

I still vote for torrents. It will only be slow if nobody seeds. And since it IS a legitimate free download, I think it is fitting to use a medium that is notorious for crack-ware for a good free product. If enough people seed, there is no better way to do this in regards to bandwidth AND ethics or "vibe". It's worth a try, for sure. And if people end up being curmudgeons and not seed, then that would be the time to investigate other methods. Just my opinion.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries