Login

Bricasti M7

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Bricasti M7

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello everyone,
As a few people keep asking me about this and reverbs are the FoTM I thought I ought to give bit of an update and also get some thoughts before we plough ahead. Firstly, apologies for letting this one run without any clarification but I didn't want to give too much away in the last few months because I didn't want to get folk's hopes up and then disappoint. We have had some challenges.

Anyway for those who are unaware Michael of CDsoundmaster and I have been permitted to sample this crazy good Reverb by the kind people at Bricasti. I will be sampling and Michael will be editing. If you don't know how good it is you ought to know that some have called it one of the best reverberators out there. I invested in serial number 44 a few years ago and it has been updated to version 2 of the software so all is up to date. Casey has kindly offered his expertise and know-how and between myself and Michael we have had much head scratching as we attempt to bring this library to the Nebula world. Many, many months of failed attempts and many hurdles to overcome but all seems promising now. :D

In case you are unaware it will be provided for free. Yes for free - Michael and I cannot or anyone else for that matter cannot sell it. The goal is of hopefully allowing for the world of Nebula to expand and have a wider user base through the accessibility of folk to sounds as incredible as the Bricasti.

I will be honest, it has been the single most frustrating project that I have attempted to date and many times I have wondered if it were even do-able to sample this beast to a satisfactory standard. It will never be 'exactly' the same but today saw a breakthrough that gets us very, very close and instead of answering questions posed in another thread, I thought that I would start a new post as there are few things to share going forward and hopefully this can be the anchor thread from here on in.

So - good news :D - I have managed to find a very involved workflow that gets us almost there with the Bricasti M7. I would say 70 % to 90 % of the hardware is retained. It's just the last few percentage points that the most extremely fussy of users would complain about and if you didn't have the hardware with you in the room to compare it to it probably wouldn't bother you. Modulation had to be turned off so sorry - no lush chorusy tails. The stereo image is not as accurate as I would hope but I may have a solution for that.The hardware envelopes the sound more and smothers the audio in a more realistic way. But that is just me picking differences. A tweak here and there and we may be in business with total authenticity. Having said that we hope this will add immense value to the world of Nebula even with all it's tiny issues.

I will now begin final sampling in the coming weeks as I get breaks in my schedule and will be passing the files on to Michael for processing and packaging and I believe that the reasoning is that it will then be incorporated into the Acustica Audio library - I think. :?. I could be corrected on that front.

Please note that the Bricasti is intended to be used fully wet in your effects bin as a send effect. That is the advice for the hardware so I would imagine that the same goes for the Nebula version when things start to roll. Assuming all seems in order and there are not too many resamplings required then it will be up to the 'bosses' to decide on a release schedule after Michael has edited but I will begin passing items across the pond from now on through to the end of the year.

So how can you help - well give us feedback here - mainly for Michael as he is editing. At this point in time I have already gathered that some folks would like to have it work with all versions of Nebula including free. Is that agreed - some felt that it would help the community for new customers to have an incentive to invest in the platform - others felt free is good to get as wide a user base as possible - please discuss - suggestions.

Nebula server comes into its own with this coming package as it would really be desirable to run the Bricasti on anothr machine. My advice - get started setting up and practicing with Nebula server if you haven't got it. You will be much less frustrated as this is such a nice reverb you may wish to use it all over the place with little cpu penalty.

Now from a sampling point of view - I need some suggestions.

Sample rates - 96 khz is what we are sampling it at and we are doing it all digital. 44.1 khz means more work but we appreciate many work at this sample rate.I will not be sampling at 44.1 khz so if folk want 44.1 khz then it will have to be provided in post production. In my experience Michael's libraries work just fine even though many are only 96 khz. Put it this way - 96 khz only is simpler with over 100 presets to sample.

Ummmmmm - the most important - distribution. The library will be huge when done. A 3 second plate is 280 MB. That is 30 dynamic layers. We can lower the layers for efficency. Would people want smaller file sizes or quality? What we would need is a fast reliable always up online service that doesn't cap users if this gets the kind of traffic we imagine it might. Suggestions.

Are there any talented skins producers who can make a Bricasti themed skin?

Length of tails? There are the default tail lengths. Obviously the machine can go from short tails to a ridiculous 30 seconds. What lengths would folk desire to have as standard for most presets - the defaults or perhaps one on either side of the defaults? One longer and one shorter? This is especially important for example for the halls and plates as they have the most spread.

Lastly - and I hope that this is obvious without me having to say this and that you can have grace to understand - this won't happen soon if we aren't supported in what we do in our own projects that does make this viable. As we cannot charge for our time it is up to the community to help us bring this to fruition.

I have a couple of choice beta testers to help along the way with getting feedback. If there are any other experienced beta testers who would like to be able to help along the journey do get in touch with Michael or myself soon.

Apart from that - have a great year and hopefully stuff will begin to roll in weeks rather than months.

Take care
H
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Re: Bricasti M7

Postby david1103 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

this is exciting stuff! thanks for all the work you guys have done.

i have to ask, have we got a true stereo update for nebula ready to go? i remember that was one of the stated reasons for the delay ages ago. i think its needed to sample this reverb, if not, some kind of modular setup of 2 nebula's to make a true stereo patch from 2 programs (can be done easily in reaper)

i have the Samplicity free impulses:

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

the true stereo (quad channel) ones are much better and can be used with reaper's own reaverb with this setup:

http://forum.cockos.com/attachment.php? ... 1278789866

also, if there is no modulation, how does this differ from a normal impulse and what are the dynamic layers used for?

cheers :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi David -
No true stereo as far as I know but my hack may circumvent it for now.
With no modulation it just means that the chorus type lush reverb tails won't be getting sampled. In fact if you attempt to with convolution using sweep tones it just doesn't get captured that well. It doesn't make it sound bad in any way because IMHO the real strength of this box is the realism of the modelled acoustic spaces.

The dynamic layers that I am referring to basically means that I sample from 0 Dbs input gain to say - 30 dbs in 1 Db steps. The more layers you sample the more variation per layer you get and the more realism. Not referring to distortion - just for clarity.
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Henry - thanks for opening up the dialogue on this one - hopefully as a community we can discuss it and get the best result together

With regard to sample rate my view is it could be sensible to sample at 96 but then maybe Michael could do the downsample to 44.1. Because they will be big programs I think there is a strong argument to have them in 44.1

This goes to my second idea. Perhaps 50% of the Bricasti library could be available for Nebula free at 44.1. Then the remainder and 96k option could be there on purchase of N3Pro. That might be a compromise - however there is a good argument for all free on NebFree - or only on full version...I think it could really widen the appeal of Nebula if it were given totally free....shame you cant do local area testing to see which launch is the best!

In terms of tails - I suppose that is partly related to a decision on the total library size. Longer tail = larger and if there were 2 variants then also larger...It depends how much control over a longer tail can be had eg within Nebula and / or by transient designers/gates...I will prob pick up the AITB Photocampia to see how he did it and the best way to work regarding changing tail lengths...

With regard to quality - this is interesting. Im not 100% clear how it works however I did notice that in the Nebula commercial library there are some great sounding reverbs that dont appear too heavy in size. Years ago when I beta tested Nebula they were the first really nice ITB reverbs I ever heard-PCM70 presets. However when I tried the Nebula sampled L*****n PCM91 free library which was a 20Gb library - it was quite unweildy (and unstable) to use. Personally I wonder if it is worthwhile to make the libraries very large if the difference isnt that big. I think there is an argument to making a library that offers a fantastic and usable ITB reverb rather than the closest 'possible' emulation of the Bricasti - which becomes too massive and unweildy for a few percentage point increases.

Ideally we could do a blind beta test at different qualities...perhaps if you could sample 1 preset at different quality and then upload audio demos unlabelled as a blind test - that could be a good way of deciding...

In terms of reverb modulation - Im just curious if thats a limitation with reverb sampling in Nebula in general - or the complexity of the bricasti modulation?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Nice to see this post Henry!

For me, 44kh is not useful if I have 96kh. So I really don't mind not having 44kh.

Tail lenghts should be from 0.5 sec to 4 secs I think it would be enough.

I'm volunteering for beta testing if you need me. I've never tested on Nebula but my actual day job involves a lot of systems testing so I'm quite experienced with providing quality testing and testing scripts.

Cheers!
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby yr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello Henri,

Thank you for taking the time to do this- I can only imagine how much work is involved..

I have 2 questions- I've noticed that sampled reverb presets always sound colored and different from the original because NAT has issues dealing with complex phase patterns (which are typical in this case). So my first question is- have you found a way around this problem?

What I've also noticed is, that long Nebula reverbs generate artifacts/clicks (to varying degrees). I was told that this issue is inherent to the way Nebula works and can't be solved. So my question is- did you encounter this and do you think the Nebulized Bricasti will be "artifact free".

Concerning what should be free and what not- I support the complete set being free and available to all. That seems more in line with the (generous) spirit of the Bricasti creator.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:17 pm

oh and IMO, the bigger the better. I would love to have a huge reverb library. I don't care if it's 20gb! :D
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby futur2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 pm

jpchartrand wrote:oh and IMO, the bigger the better. I would love to have a huge reverb library. I don't care if it's 20gb! :D

same thoughts here!
futur2

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

yr wrote:Hello Henri,

Thank you for taking the time to do this- I can only imagine how much work is involved..

I have 2 questions- I've noticed that sampled reverb presets always sound colored and different from the original because NAT has issues dealing with complex phase patterns (which are typical in this case). So my first question is- have you found a way around this problem?

What I've also noticed is, that long Nebula reverbs generate artifacts/clicks (to varying degrees). I was told that this issue is inherent to the way Nebula works and can't be solved. So my question is- did you encounter this and do you think the Nebulized Bricasti will be "artifact free".

Concerning what should be free and what not- I support the complete set being free and available to all. That seems more in line with the (generous) spirit of the Bricasti creator.

Hi Yr,
As far as the sound changing - yes there is the sense that the reverb is separate from the audio even when fully wet that you don't get with the hardware but I I don't get a very specific sound shift. Just different - less real. But we are talking about tiny percentages of course.

No clicks with a 3 second test so far - still as xml and wav files however - not crypted yet. Not gone further so cannot comment on the likelihood of issues with longer tails but so far so good. I am making these in a special way that goes beyond how I would normally sample a reverb because the situation has led me to having to create a hack. To me the final results are more important than methodology so i have modifified my method - trade secert of course/ :D ;)
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks to Henry, Michael and Casey! Great to see this moving forward.

I agree with a 44k 'community' version that works in nebFree and a 96k version available to commercial nebula users.

As far as distribution, maybe a torrent? Cheap, fast downloads and everyone shares the bandwidth...
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries