Login

Cupwise release- Rayphlex 661x2 B

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release- Rayphlex 661x2 B

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 am

yes, ngarjuna is correct.

the compressors can operate with 3 different knees- hard, soft, and then another one that is 'softer' than the soft knee.

i've sampled each knee twice. once with, and once without the extra 'UFE' controls, which allow you to cut back on the compression that happens to the higher frequencies. the reason i've made the 2 versions is because those extra controls being in there, creates very complex programs with higher sample counts, which need more cpu to use. so just as you have different kern options to choose from for cpu use, you also have the option to use the versions with or without the UFE controls. if you know you don't need UFE, use the programs without it.

the way it breaks down is this:
part A has both hard knees, and the 'softer' knee comp without UFE.
part B has both soft knees, and the 'softer' knee with UFE.

then there are 'bonuses':
part A has a program with no compression, but with a bass phase enhancer switch that was sampled from the units.
part B has a program where the output tube stage was overdriven, and you can get a sort of overdrive compression effect out of it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:06 pm

looking forward to people's reviews on this, especially any established mastering engineers who frequent this forum :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Definity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:36 am

I took the leap yesterday and gave in, and wow this really is a superb compressor. Just adds a professional quality to my master bus.

Props to Tim! Good job mang!
Definity

Postby RJHollins » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Finally had the chance to get this release. Look forward to working with it!

Thanks Cupwise :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:29 pm

some updates- first off the prices have gone up a little for both parts A & B. to offset that a bit, there's a new bundle deal i have up where if you buy both together you can get a few dollars off. if you already bought one part at the lower introductory price you can't get that deal, but your total after buying the other part at it's new price is still actually lower than the bundle price.

next update- lots and lots of new programs/presets have been added to the set (both parts A and B). i can't put controls in them to allow you to switch between different detection modes, or to adjust between feed-forward and feed-back modes, but i wanted those abilities in the set. i put some thought into how the extra programs are organized/presented and added a section to the manual that explains that layout. i've added RMS and EVF modes, to the original set which uses PEAK. then there are 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% feedback options. so this is quite a bit of duplicates but i think it's organized ok and if you try them out you might get some use out of them. for example, the RMS or EVF modes might be better for 'mastering' use, compared to the peak mode. the feedback options can give you results a little more like some analog comps that use that type of detection.

i'm emailing links with these updates out to all who bought either set, so if you don't get it somehow, contact me.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 am

ok, sorry for the delay after i already announced my update. i just spent another 3-4 hrs getting thunderbird to send some email.
anyway, the updates should be showing up in peoples inboxes now.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am

10k progs loading now. well done

still cant get my head around all the options :D
ufe is a low-pass internal sidechain filter I guess..

I cant find a look-ahead slider the manual talks about anywhere.

Im confused by anything tagged esc having a sidechain 'Q'. And now anything in the 'alt' folder has a blinking Q. As well as the items in that folder that are tagged esc...its sidechain mayhem

ah well. awesome comp
sneaky

Postby Cupwise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm

sneaky wrote:10k progs loading now. well done

really? so you're saying that you had the issues that some were having with the 10k programs not loading, but now they load? weird. i didn't do anything to fix that. are you sure you're trying the 10k ufe ones, because those are the ones people had problems with. maybe you forgot and loaded a non-ufe 10k?
sneaky wrote:
still cant get my head around all the options :D
ufe is a low-pass internal sidechain filter I guess..

no. you can't sample the sidechain filter in a comp. you obviously COULD sample the unit with the filter on, but the result would have nothing to do with what you wanted. it's kind of hard for me to explain because i'm not too good with the words to think of a way to explain it well, but basically you can't sample a detection circuit. it's a controlling mechanism that's behind the scenes, and so nebula can't touch it. if you tried to sample a comp with the sidechain filter on, the results would have nothing to do with what you'd expect.

nebula has it's own sidechain with it's own filter, so you get the sidechain ability that way. not by sampling it.

anyway back to ufe, which is totally different- it allows you to keep the high frequencies from being compressed as much as the other stuff. so the end result is almost like an EQ boost to the highs. but its really that the other stuff is being brought down MORE than the highs, so you only hear it when compression is happening. it's almost like having a dual band compressor.
sneaky wrote:I cant find a look-ahead slider the manual talks about anywhere.

the manual says the control isn't in every program. this is because there isn't room in every program. i can only have 8 controls. the ufe programs need an additional 2 for ufe. i've crammed what i could into every program because i like control, and if i could it WOULD be in every program. the only ones it's actually in are.. i believe, the 1k programs without ufe. which works out well anyway because the 1k programs are, i think, the only ones that can be used as 'limiters'. the 1k programs are the fastest. if you load the hard knee no ufe 1k program, drop attack down, and add some ahead, it can catch everything. you can limit and squash stuff with it. ahead can still be used in programs without ahead control. it's discussed in tips section of the manual.
sneaky wrote:Im confused by anything tagged esc having a sidechain 'Q'.

why? E SC stands for 'external sidechain'. it's in the manual.
sneaky wrote:And now anything in the 'alt' folder has a blinking Q. As well as the items in that folder that are tagged esc...its sidechain mayhem
ok well i don't know what's up with the blinking 'q', but i wouldn't really call it mayhem. i mean, c'mon, it's a tiny little letter q! ;)
i didn't even know what the q meant. are you sure it's to designate a sidechain? anyway, if it is, then it makes sense for it to be there for E SC programs, since they are... sidechain programs. but the others, well, i don't know. it could just be because i 'touched' the sidechain stuff in the programs, without actually setting them up to be used. but the programs work just like they are supposed to. so i recommend ignoring the q. :)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries