Login

YR Free Presets- Latest: "JFET" (44.1kHz/48kHz/96kHz)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: YR Free Presets- Latest: Nagra III Preamp (1966)

Postby mathias » Mon May 28, 2012 7:09 pm

i have to join the choir on the nagra preamp-program!

this has really a special tone, round and full.
the distortion can be driven pretty hard and gives a nice over the edge resonance to lower frequencies. great!!!

another example, why they are so famous with their machines in the audio-community.

thanks a lot, yuval!

greetings,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks, I'm really happy with this one. I think you can really "push" the preset, because even some of the engine artifacts (sub-bass distortion) are very similar to the distortion of the preamp in that region (below 50hz or so).
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Mon May 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I have to say again how good the nagra preset is! Landed on my master bus twice today! I have only a small question regarding the kernel page settings.. Is this an effort to make best sounding program and save some cpu at the same time? Why didn't You choose splith and same kernel lenght (about 15-20 ms) for both: even and odd harmonics? ok.. maybe I don't understand nebula engine as much as others here.. Thanks again for the Nagra! :P
lipa

Postby yr » Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Lipa, I set the clean and even kernels to timed 50ms. Odd is set to 50ms freq. To get the full kernel lengths you probably need to change the max kernel length in the XML:
<LTIMED> 50000 </LTIMED>

The reason I use long kernel lengths is that it minimizes aliasing. I didn't switch the odd kernel to "timed", because there is bug in Nebula- when all kernels are switched to timed/classic mode you get a lot of aliasing/artifacts. You can switch all kernels to "timed" 50ms if you use the split mode (press on "splith").
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Mon May 28, 2012 11:02 pm

thanks! will edit xml..nagra showed different settings in my nebula.. I don't want to hijack thread by any means.. but only one little question: I have my all programs set to splith, 20ms clean and 15ms even and odd harmonics.. is that generally ok? or is it much better to go timed only route? thanks again ;)
lipa

Postby yr » Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 pm

are you seeing splith (meaning you are using classic)? - if so you should switch either the even or odd to freqd:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (77.55 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 am

ok.. I know that. ;) so what about the setting? isn't it better to set to splith (shows classic on button) and set both (timed/freq) to 25ms? it shouldn't sound worse (or am i wrong?) but save lots of cpu right? ;)
lipa

Postby yr » Tue May 29, 2012 11:36 am

ok.. I know that. ;) so what about the setting? isn't it better to set to splith (shows classic on button) and set both (timed/freq) to 25ms? it shouldn't sound worse (or am i wrong?) but save lots of cpu right?

Hi Lipa,
That's a though question.. I've been testing it a lot lately and there is definitely a difference in sound between the 2 modes (classic/splith). My impression is that the classic mode sounds more "punchy", while the splith is "rounder". Kernel length can influence the sound and short kernels can increase aliasing in classic mode when "smoothing" is enabled. As a general rule, I prefer using presets with less kernels with "ideal" settings rather then having more kernels when short on cpu resources.
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 am

ok.. thanks.. I'll try changing these things more often but the differences in sound are so minimal I'd have to stack 10 instances and change parameters off all to hear that kind of details.. :shock:
lipa

Postby rrrobo » Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi, is it possible to download without signing up to 4shared.com?
rrrobo
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries