Login

AlexB - Opto Tube Dynamics

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - Opto Tube Dynamics

Postby lipa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:51 pm

+1 to the above...great news about that upgrade! Please Alex tweak it a lot, we don't really need totally exact copy of hardware.. ;)

Anyway, apart from the nice, vibey behaviour the Opto Comp sounds very fat, tubey and has so much character.. and it's so nice we have in the bundle two different sounding versions! Alex was definitely not wasting his time lately! :P
lipa

Postby AlexB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 pm

lipa wrote:+1 to the above...great news about that upgrade! Please Alex tweak it a lot, we don't really need totally exact copy of hardware.. ;)

Ehmmm yes and no.
If the tweak damage the original sound, which is really close at the hardware, I prefer to preserve this. I don't release any library that sound flat and lifeless like a plugin, sorry. Nebula is unique for vibe, dynamics, colors, depth and firstly I like to maintain these characteristics (which professionals demands). Some improvements are possible BUT until the sound will be preserved, I don't go over this threshold. You think that only changing the algo from "smooth" to something else the sound go away from the original sampled hardware and this needs a complete new revision of the whole process.
(Now I hope to avoid a long debate here on "tweak yes - tweak no", thanks) 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I have to say that I support Alex on this one. Besides, he does what he does and does it well. And remember, the so-called tweaks that Cupwise has been working with, which are stunning, are also for a very clean piece of hardware. I have no issues with Alex giving us something less clean and "vibey", even if the behavior is not perfect. I guess I am always happy to have more and diverse color for my work, I can always find "behavior" somewhere else. Oops, I suppose even if I agree with Alex, I am continuing the debate he wants to avoid...... :roll:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cps418 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

richie43 wrote:I have to say that I support Alex on this one. Besides, he does what he does and does it well. And remember, the so-called tweaks that Cupwise has been working with, which are stunning, are also for a very clean piece of hardware. I have no issues with Alex giving us something less clean and "vibey", even if the behavior is not perfect. I guess I am always happy to have more and diverse color for my work, I can always find "behavior" somewhere else. Oops, I suppose even if I agree with Alex, I am continuing the debate he wants to avoid...... :roll:

the debate he wants to avoid.. sounds like a shut up statement to me, If you define it as a debate, or something negative how do we explore new things. "A meeting of the minds" is the is what this is. Not a shut up and be happy because one dev. says so.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm

I think the point is to do the compression programs like the more recent ones you need to approach the sampling sessions differently as I understand this - so what is being asking of AlexB is not a 'tweak' but a complete resampling of the units...I think his current programs can be 'tweaked' but this I think is a smaller change...I could be wrong tho but Im assuming the sample sessions are dependent on the NAT settings that are used for the specific session...

Still Im curious to hear a nice smooth tube comp mojo...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 am

don't want to do endless debates for sure.. but what I meant was that we already have one original version, right? so why not have totally different approach..(of course not meant to sample it from the beginning) even if it's not 100% compatibile with what hardware (that most of us never used) does it might be more inspiring and sometimes surpassing what harware can achieve..(just like nebula interpolated attack in 4KD for example) but of course I'm saying it in positive light..I trust your ears Alex and don't want every compressor to be able to insanely squash audio.. just please don't "switch off" some nice juicey behaviour only because it's not what hardware does.. I don't care if hardware does 100% if in nebula we can have it's vibe and make 105% at the same time.. :roll:
lipa

Postby cps418 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 am

lipa wrote:don't want to do endless debates for sure.. but what I meant was that we already have one original version, right? so why not have totally different approach..(of course not meant to sample it from the beginning) even if it's not 100% compatibile with what hardware (that most of us never used) does it might be more inspiring and sometimes surpassing what harware can achieve..(just like nebula interpolated attack in 4KD for example) but of course I'm saying it in positive light..I trust your ears Alex and don't want every compressor to be able to insanely squash audio.. just please don't "switch off" some nice juicey behaviour only because it's not what hardware does.. I don't care if hardware does 100% if in nebula we can have it's vibe and make 105% at the same time.. :roll:

Very politely put.. We have been brainwashed into thinking that it's all about a name, just so I can tell all my friends "I made this song with an A*I compressor".
It is in the best interest of all the developers to step their game up, because from now on all the older compressors will be viewed as nothing more than tone generators and who would wanna turn back when Cupwise opened us up to freedom. Personally I'm not buying anymore compressors, unless they are COMPRESSORS.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 am

cps418 wrote:Very politely put.. We have been brainwashed into thinking that it's all about a name, just so I can tell all my friends "I made this song with an A*I compressor".
It is in the best interest of all the developers to step their game up, because from now on all the older compressors will be viewed as nothing more than tone generators and who would wanna turn back when Cupwise opened us up to freedom. Personally I'm not buying anymore compressors, unless they are COMPRESSORS.

I disagree a little bit. maybe I just don't have much use for extreme compression. And I do have a few algo compressors that even Nebula can't get me to quit using (GOOD stuff). But I have also been using the "pre-Rayphlex" era Nebula compressors and use them as COMPRESSORS all of the time, not just for tone. 4KD, Vari-Mu, 165a, GMD, and many more. I am getting great gain reduction and I know how to use them consistently. So I guess while I too am excited about the implications that Cupwise may have unlocked, but I for one certainly don't feel like it has tainted my opinions of the compressors before now.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cps418 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 pm

disagree a little bit. maybe I just don't have much use for extreme compression. And I do have a few algo compressors that even Nebula can't get me to quit using (GOOD stuff). But I have also been using the "pre-Rayphlex" era Nebula compressors and use them as COMPRESSORS all of the time, not just for tone. 4KD, Vari-Mu, 165a, GMD, and many more. I am getting great gain reduction and I know how to use them consistently. So I guess while I too am excited about the implications that Cupwise may have unlocked, but I for one certainly don't feel like it has tainted my opinions of the compressors before now.[/quote]

For sure the neb compressors do have limited gain reduction, my point was to broaden the horizons of the newly found nebula compressors functions. When A.I.T.B. came out with "fate compressor",that was a game changer and everyone in that direction. now cupwise comes out with a new game changer and I bet as we type developers are working on that game changer. If you read the older "compressor post you will see people say so much about the tone and most complaints are in the function of the compressors. By the way, I to do have almost all of the neb compressors and they do sound pretty, but we should not stay set in our ways if there is a chance for improvement.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby vicnestE » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Back to the Opto Tube Dynamics itself, the compressor helps a lot to thicken and add weight + warmth to a track without muffling it.

I can even get pumping drum sound with it under high gain reduction ;)

I'd love to see the older Dynamics with new updates too.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries