Login

Best tape alternative to R2R?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Best tape alternative to R2R?

Postby schismatic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Put simply, I'm put off the R2R collection by the price (currently I might add! In the future I might have enough funds!).

What do you guys feel is the next best alternative for tape? I'd be looking at tape for use on individual tracks and also busses mainly.

Thanks! :)
schismatic
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Best tape alternative to R2R?

Postby mpodrug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 pm

NAG Tape. I also still don't have enough money to get R2R. I'm pretty sure i'll get it someday though.
Till there, NAG Tape should serve me right. Also don't forget to get Henry Olonga's Tape, they are also pretty good. I don't have enough time to spend with them yet, but for what i've heard it's very nice.

Oh, the free tape library from YR is also very usable.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby lipa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:22 pm

I would strongly recommend trying Henry olonga tapes..machines 1 and 2 (libraries 1 to 4) are fairy natural, machine 3 (libraries 5 and 6) is the most smooth sounding. In my opinion they are the best tapes for nebula, period. Although it's a tape sim sampled (anamod tape simulator), it really works great (same as the hardware unit that costs around 3~4k $!!), eats highs nicely when pushed (check differences between different tape speeds and biases.. and the libraries are veeeery cheap! (I would choose libs: 2 and 5 since I use them the most). Happy mixin! ;)
Last edited by lipa on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lipa

Postby SWAN » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:58 pm

thanks for the comments Lipa I was wondering where to start with Henrys Tapes...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 pm

sure.. no problemo.. I would really like to have time to sit down and listen very carefully to those libs and try to figure out which emulates which hardware tape machine..maybe I'll make samples and we will do it on forum? :P
lipa

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:38 am

There is no tape library that compares to R2R in terms of the depth, complexity, versatility, machines, tape stocks...it's a monster, hence the price tag. There is sort of a downside, though, which is that R2R is really part 1 of a 3-stage process, the other two being Tapebooster+ Nebula library and the VTM-M2 vst (which handles the compression element that Nebula can't really capture). You don't absolutely HAVE to use it as phase one in this 3-stage process but that's what it was designed for and imo the R2R/TB+/VTM combo is unsurpassed. And none of the tape programs can do the compression piece, you need VTM or some other similar tool (or even a compressor) to do that. It's not outrageous or hardware tape emu expensive but it's not pocket change either. It is, however, worth every penny (and more). Of course if you don't have the pennies right now then that point is sort of moot.

In terms of libraries that are comparable in quality I have gotten a fair bit of use out of the Nagra and some (though less) out of the 1/4" Studer (a810 I think?) from signaltonoize.com. I largely haven't tried more recent tape offerings because between those and the R2R I'm really only missing one tape sound that I want (Ampex MM-1k series...someday). Also some of the newest offerings are not tapes at all but tape emus/sims from the analog realm. I don't consider that a problem but I'd rather have a Nebula program of a specific tape machine/tape. Just a personal preference though, I know that many of those hardware emus are quite usable.

But honestly, whatever you spruce your tape collection up with...if you take tape emu seriously save up and get the R2R/TB+/VTM. It's just that good.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am

second the request for the 'Ampex MM-1k series'.

Preferably the 16 trk at both 15 & 30ips.

I know an engineer that has one ... restored to mint condition ... but he's purely a hardware guy ... no computers :|

Oh well, hopefully one of the 'Pros' will find this gem and Nebulatize it ;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 am

I can only confirm that Tapebooster and VTM2 work great with Henrys` or YRs` or others` tape programs as well.. ;)
lipa

Postby piperboy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm

ngarjuna wrote:There is no tape library that compares to R2R in terms of the depth, complexity, versatility, machines, tape stocks...it's a monster, hence the price tag. There is sort of a downside, though, which is that R2R is really part 1 of a 3-stage process, the other two being Tapebooster+ Nebula library and the VTM-M2 vst (which handles the compression element that Nebula can't really capture). You don't absolutely HAVE to use it as phase one in this 3-stage process but that's what it was designed for and imo the R2R/TB+/VTM combo is unsurpassed. And none of the tape programs can do the compression piece, you need VTM or some other similar tool (or even a compressor) to do that. It's not outrageous or hardware tape emu expensive but it's not pocket change either. It is, however, worth every penny (and more). Of course if you don't have the pennies right now then that point is sort of moot.

In terms of libraries that are comparable in quality I have gotten a fair bit of use out of the Nagra and some (though less) out of the 1/4" Studer (a810 I think?) from signaltonoize.com. I largely haven't tried more recent tape offerings because between those and the R2R I'm really only missing one tape sound that I want (Ampex MM-1k series...someday). Also some of the newest offerings are not tapes at all but tape emus/sims from the analog realm. I don't consider that a problem but I'd rather have a Nebula program of a specific tape machine/tape. Just a personal preference though, I know that many of those hardware emus are quite usable.

But honestly, whatever you spruce your tape collection up with...if you take tape emu seriously save up and get the R2R/TB+/VTM. It's just that good.

Agreed. Flexibility would be an understatement. there are so many colors in this library that it is like a huge box of crayons and asking which one is the best. it is a powerhouse!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:29 pm

ngarjuna wrote:But honestly, whatever you spruce your tape collection up with...if you take tape emu seriously save up and get the R2R/TB+/VTM. It's just that good.

What he said. Michael did a great job there. Save up your pennies. ;)
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries