Login

So...What are consoles good for?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

So...What are consoles good for?

Postby enigma2win » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 pm

So, I've had this question for a long while now..

I have MLC and CLC consoles, and use them all the time (individual channels, groups and 2buss).
What does each instance do? Does it just give the sound the Console flavour or does it also compress the signal?
I notice a difference in the sound when using it, but not sure if its just the analog flavour or if it also compresses the sound...

I'm asking because, I want to know if I still have to compress groups and such, or if this does the job...

P.S- I never understood another thing...The pan law, does it come before the 2buss console insert or after?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Re: So...What are consoles good for?

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 am

I 'think' that the console emulations were mostly sampled using the pre template. I heard some used the compressor template but I am sure there is no compression going on when in actual use. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. You may well still want to compress as usual. For all I know all that is happening is that the flavour of the console is colouring your audio with its sonic signature.

As far as Pan Law goes I believe it works across your DAW. Whatever is the global pan law affects all tracks, busses and the master bus. At least in the DAWs I use. Again, I may be corrected. My humble opinion, if you want full control over panning get VSL powerpan. You will never look back as it is quite extraordinary.
Peace
H
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby enigma2win » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 am

Thanks for the reply h-man.
What i was referring to when i said pan law, was that AlexB consoles come with the -4.5db preset, does that come before or after the console?

Also, since we're on the topic of compression as well..

Lets say I have a pre-amp like the A****n or a Fatso Preamp, do they compress? or just colour the sound and then I should compress?

Again, appreciate you taking the time to explain these things to me :)
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 am

first, it would depend on how the fatso or whatever other thing were sampled, or more accurately, if there was compression when it was sampled.
second, if there was compression, for those types of programs there WILL be some of the dynamic behavior of what was sampled, but it's not really something you can 'depend on' if compression is what you are after, and the compression won't be so accurate to what was sampled.

when i said 'those types of programs' i'm talking about 'preamp style' programs (have attack/release controls but no thresh control), as opposed to compressor style programs (have all 3 and maybe a ratio or others). the two types are sampled differently, with the compressor style programs being more geared towards capturing compression. so the 'preamp' style programs can't do it very well.

preamps aren't generally going to give you compression, because they aren't designed to. there are exceptions, and lots of gray areas, but that's a general rule. if it's a hardware unit and it's marketed/called a preamp, then it's not a compressor and it won't compress (again, not always, but in general).
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 am

Yup. . . .what Tim said.

Aaaah - you are referring to Alex's actual Panner. I assumed it was a general question about Pan law. I presume Alex sampled it with a couple of Pan law options and you chose the correspondong one to your DAW? I would imagine you want use it within your mix on individual elements' tracks to pan them as you mix. Placing it on the 2 bus is not what I believe it is intended for. I believe - check your pan law. Load up the panner with corresponding Pan law and place on a track and pan away to your hearts content.

Perhaps I am still confused about your question and he can chime in. I am not at home and my main computer is dead so going on memory so I hope that helps.

Anyway, there is a really long thread you can search for and read through if you are not aware. May be worth going through it as some developers contribute. Think its called consoles, consoles, consoles. May answer some questions about how to setup, gain staging, workflow etc. and also what to expect.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

H
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:11 am

h-man wrote:I 'think' that the console emulations were mostly sampled using the pre template. I heard some used the compressor template but I am sure there is no compression going on when in actual use.

Do some consoles compress slightly then? if so should people sample with a comp template and then console template and then pan pot one?
Definity

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 am

I really don't know if they compress a little or not and to be 100% sure, Michael and Alexb are the main console guys so worth asking them. It was a comment I came across somewhere about the compressor template.
I personally stick to the pre template when sampling.Be good.
H
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries