Login

OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff insid

Postby ownhammer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:58 pm

PRO series stuff is also getting a monstrous overhaul, but I'm still ironing out how to do it considering how much of a balancing act it is to implement function with the compromise of file size and Nebula caving in on itself when there is simply too much information for it to process at one time. I don't want to sacrifice quality, so I'll probably have to split out the functionality into multiple kinds of programs.

Detailing the improvements would mean disclosing years of developmental build and torturous amounts of trial and error hypothesis testing, and is not something I am willing to do at this time, my apologies.

I forgot about S-Gear, that one was definitely better than the others, albeit I thought the high gain implementation was pretty flabby/loose sounding IIRC. However, death metal isn't the intent of the developer, so it sounds great for the application in which it is intended. At one point in time I had taken the effects loop out of my Egnater Tweaker to compare the 'USA' mode to the Duke and 'Brit' mode to the Stealer. At that time the software was at V1 but the Egnater was better. Things may be different now, but once again, I've deviated from sims so I'm not the end all of reference points...
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mpodrug » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks for your response!
I fully understand if you don't want to reveal more, actually that was not exactly what i wanted to know. But it was not a very good question anyway, because the answer is actually: just better. :)

My question about the PRO series was: are you planning to add another Cabs to it other than the Bogner?
But it's also very nice to hear that you're planning a bigger overhaul.

I definitely have to get more of your stuffs. They are indispensable for me lately.

As for S-Gear, i love it very much, because it always sounds right. With Amplitube and others i used to tweak hours on it, just to be unsatisfied at the end.
The user presets on Scuffhams forum are also highly useful.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ownhammer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Sorry for the super quick and seemingly robotic responses, over the weekends my kids demand a lot of my time and attention, so I only have enough of each to just get the points across in my replies at the moment. Also the Fractal Audio forum has been on fire since last week with all of this and I've needed to devote most of my time there just trying to keep up...

In all honesty I'd love to talk about what I've done as I find it to be quite interesting, however I'm in the commercial market so doing so (publicly or privately) may very well spoon feed prospective commercial and freeware competition all of what has taken me a few years of tweaking and honing how to create these files for these kinds of platforms and connected hardware/software. It's not a bad question at all however I do plan to keep the details to myself, and yes, the answer is just that it certainly sounds better. Mixes are wider, elements have greater depth and separation, it's just a dramatic step forward for myself and compared to what anybody else has done that I've ever heard.

PRO stuff has been on hold just because of how long it takes to create and how little attention it gets in sales. Return on investment is very low, and very undeservedly so. I'm revamping the whole layout, and if I succeed in streamlining the process, I should put out a PRO version of every cab/speaker I do for the other series as well. So in other words, every time I make a library of a certain cab/speaker combo, I'm going to attempt to release it in all formats, PRO included.
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Formbank » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 pm

To these ears, the Beta is a significant improvement on the Bogner Pro 57 that I have. Perhaps describing it as 'cleaner' and 'focused' may be appropriate and no, I'm not going to say it's sounds 'euphonic' or more '3D' !

A small criticism of the PRO is that perhaps sometimes less can be more, in terms of tweak-ability, and this Beta scores in that department.
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby ownhammer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

As per less is more, I agree fully. File size was also a deciding factor since I'm going with higher kernel values this time around, but I'm going to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. PRO controls are going to change to:

Mix1 = X axis, same as before
Mix2 = Z axis, same as before
Mix3 = Mic Angle, sweepable between -45 (45 degrees pointed toward edge) to +45 (45 degrees pointed toward center) and everywhere in between.

The TONE, AUX, and FAT are going the wayside, and in their place I will include a couple guitar frequency centric EQ programs for additional tone shaping. It will be cool, the Boost program frequencies will differ from Cut program frequencies, so it will be pretty handy. If all goes well, all mics will be contained within a single package, just like the current NEB library. All previous buyers will be sorted out on an individual bases. I will engage in private email exchange to credit their past PRO purchases toward the new full PRO package by virtue of an individualized coupon that is functional only with the new PRO library. Even at this, the previous version will still stay in their buy history and remain on the server, so it will be there in case it is wanted/needed in the future. :)
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:08 am

ownhammer wrote:As per less is more, I agree fully. File size was also a deciding factor since I'm going with higher kernel values this time around, but I'm going to go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. PRO controls are going to change to:

Mix1 = X axis, same as before
Mix2 = Z axis, same as before
Mix3 = Mic Angle, sweepable between -45 (45 degrees pointed toward edge) to +45 (45 degrees pointed toward center) and everywhere in between.

The TONE, AUX, and FAT are going the wayside, and in their place I will include a couple guitar frequency centric EQ programs for additional tone shaping. It will be cool, the Boost program frequencies will differ from Cut program frequencies, so it will be pretty handy. If all goes well, all mics will be contained within a single package, just like the current NEB library. All previous buyers will be sorted out on an individual bases. I will engage in private email exchange to credit their past PRO purchases toward the new full PRO package by virtue of an individualized coupon that is functional only with the new PRO library. Even at this, the previous version will still stay in their buy history and remain on the server, so it will be there in case it is wanted/needed in the future. :)

This sounds very cool and generous!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm

for you guys who really know your guitar stuff....if you dont like an amp sim (Im considering Scuffam as it sounds pretty good to me)...is it possible to get an analogue pedal to use before a DI -> into a Nebula program?

I actually quite like the idea of having a hardware pedal to deal with guitar (and maybe bass)...but only if it sounds better than scuffam...I dont want to get an amp because I just use a bit of guitar in recording-not live...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:18 pm

I should clarify that I like clean and crunch tone and use a P90 Telecaster...I wonder about a Tube Pedal or Sansamp Blonde...any good?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby odla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Go with S-gear! Really, you won't be disappointed, and you can try it for 15 days... I don't think a pedal will give you what S-gear can do. Listen to some of my stuff, I use S-gear for all my guitarsounds:
http://fandalism.com/odla

Probably a bit too much gain for you; but S-gear really shines in the clean and crunch department.

Aldo
odla
User Level I
User Level I

Postby msp13everlasting » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:56 am

I saw on your website that you have a kickstarter going. Is this only Wav or will we get the Neb versions if we participate in the kickstarter?
msp13everlasting
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries