Login

Gemini Audio Releases KultComp!!! - Compressor library

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Gemini Audio Releases KultComp!!! - Compressor library

Postby Gemini Audio » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

lipa wrote:I've got one (very minor) request... would it be possible to change the scale on attack (release too - but not necessarely) knob?.. as it's not easy to set it for eg. 3ms attack exactly..in this area (0 to 30 ms) being accurate is much more important for us than say difference between 1.2 and 1.4 sec.. but that has nothing to do with the sound which is fabulous!! :D

Try pressing the shift key while you turn the knob/fader.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby lipa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for the tip! Well it's not working on my nebula (don't know if it's the skin or some set up).. but I figured that mouse roll is working and doing just that.. even smoother.. so no more requests! :D
lipa

Postby Gemini Audio » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:48 am

lipa wrote:Thanks for the tip! Well it's not working on my nebula (don't know if it's the skin or some set up).. but I figured that mouse roll is working and doing just that.. even smoother.. so no more requests! :D

Hah, nice!
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I've just improved the download system. I recommend using a download manager within your browser, which is now possible.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 am

Gemini Audio wrote:The download might not immediately start when you click the link. Please click only once and wait until the download starts.

This has been solved. The download should now work flawlessly.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I've just uploaded audio examples for the DeCompressor feature.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

Today is the last day of the "September Introductory Special" of 25€!
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Bowler » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm

KultComp is at the very top of the heap for Nebula compressors. Its quality is similar to the Rayphlex from Cupwise, but KultComp's own unique sound stands out. You can hear that it was sampled from an "expensive" sounding original unit. KultComp is bigger and more transparent than other ITB compressors I've used. Even though I'm using it in a pop/rock context, it reminds me of the kind of large, open and very clear sound you might hear on a Frank Sinatra record from the late 50s or early 60s. The plug-in gives you all kinds of options for comp ratios. I've been using the KultComp Combo the most because its slider for comp ratios gives you quick and convenient "one-stop" compression without Nebula reloads for different ratios. The hard knee version can be very "in-your-face" while the soft knee is more open and dynamic. The attack and release function well unlike some earlier Nebula compressors.
Bowler
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Gemini Audio » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 pm

I've put together a KultComp vs. Hardware test for you guys which is inspired by SoSueMe from the gearslutz forum.

Download link: KultComp vs. Hardware

It's a full mix at 96kHz compressed with -9dB gain reduction.

There are reasons behind the structure of this test and its files, but every attempt has been made to allow the subject to "PASS," not "fail." If you do "fail" the test, it is very likely that you do not have a preference in this instance, even though you may think you do!. There's more to this test than meets the eye (and ears). Unfortunately, I don't have much time to defend science and the ensuing arguments toward tests such as this.

In order to provide any meaningful results, either on an individual or group level, you must compare all groups that are posted in the test. In this case there are ten [10] groups of short samples, twenty [20] in all.

In a nutshell, in order for you to actually have a preference with any real-world relevance, you must consistently choose the same device at least 9 out of 10 times. In other words, if you choose the same device 8 out of 10 times or less, that is below the acceptable confidence level of 95%. To put it another way, if you don't choose the same device at least 9 out of 10 times, it is likely that you are just guessing. However, nothing is absolutely certain. As I said before in another thread, this test does not prove anything.

Finally, if you truly are not hearing differences (even though you may think you are), it is likely that you will "flip flop" between the devices about 50% of the time.

You may record what you believe you are hearing between the samples. For example, "Group 1, Sample A sounds thicker than Sample B, so I think it's the hardware." Keep in mind that you are only comparing samples per group. In other words, you're not comparing one sample in Group 1 to another sample in Group 2. You must compare only two samples at a time per group.

Here's an example:

Group 1 A: KultComp, because ...
Group 1 B: Hardware, because...

Not valid (groups aren't the same):

Group 3 A: Hardware
Group 4 B: KultComp

I've found the best way to compare these samples and to improve the accuracy is to line the samples up one group at a time in the timeline of your DAW. So, the next group of samples will not fall below the first group... the next group will begin shortly AFTER the first group, and so on.

For each group, continually loop the samples so that they will continually play with no gaps, with ONE sample muted. Then, SOLO the muted sample in order to perform a seemless switch between the two. Keep going back and forth until you make a decision for that group. Record your findings.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 pm

very very good!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries