Login

Vinyl

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Vinyl

Postby davidleonalexander » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Would it be possible to do a program that emulates vinyl, samples the whole chain eg: cutting lathe --> dubplate -> technics1200 -> pioneer mixer

is this technically possible?

Would be a GREAT program to have!

:)
davidleonalexander
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Vinyl

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Not exactly as you imagined it but this might interest you:
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/en/vinylizer.htm
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: Vinyl

Postby Cupwise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:10 pm

davidleonalexander wrote:is this technically possible?

Would be a GREAT program to have!

:)

in my opinion it would be VERY difficult. the biggest issue is going to be wow/flutter. with tape sampling, it's pretty much mandatory to sample everything 'in one pass'. in other words, you record to tape, 'monitor' off of the tape what is being recorded while it's playing/recording (the record head records to tape, then right after that the play head picks signal back up off of it). if you had to record, then rewind, then play to get the tones, you'd also be introducing speed differences which could result in a tone that was off by whatever fraction of a second. on top of that the wow/flutter is worse because the recording and playback both add their own. so doing it in one pass eliminates the speed problem, and minimizes the wow/flutter. also, faster playing speeds cut down on wow/flutter (usually).

i developed a method to reduce wow/flutter in 'post' which i used to make my cassette stuff, but that stuff was all sampled 'in one pass'. i did an experiment once to see if i could do it in 2 passes, and it didn't work out so hot. i might try it again sometime.

there was a guy who messaged me over at the gearslutz forum asking about my method, who was trying to sample vinyl. i told him i thought the only way would be to cut with the lathe and play from the groove in the same go. he said he actually had that type of setup. wow/flutter ruined his results though. i told him details about my method but he never got it working. i offered to try it myself but i guess he didn't like that idea ;)

i had a fair amount of schemes about it, but there's a lot of things to consider. like as the needle gets closer to the center, it's moving slower relative to the groove, so wow/flutter might be different at dif. positions on the record, which would make reducing it... even crazier. you'd probably want the fastest speed you could get, and i don't know if anyone cuts 78s, let alone how many players will play them :). and the faster speed means less time, and to get a nice dynamic model you usually need like 20-30min. you could maybe take out some dynamic steps, and shorten the sweep and get it down to 15minutes and still have a reasonable model, and i doubt you're going to get a 45rpm cut with 15min across both sides total, let alone on one (which would be ideal).

the pure sine sweep tones would probably cause issues with the bass (needle/cutting head jumping out of groove), there's noise to worry about, etc etc etc blablabla

it's probably 'technically' possible but you'd need such a custom setup, and cutting records is supposedly an art form, so you'd have to have an experienced person working with you, allowing you to do these crazy experiments. and that's just the sampling part. cleaning wow/flutter up afterwords is no guarantee. it would cost so much time and money, that it's 'practically' impossible. unless you had a wizard.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries