Login

Rayphlex 661x2 A ( new demo prog added, set updated)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Rayphlex 661x2 A ( new demo prog added, set updated)

Postby Cupwise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm

lipa wrote:Seriously, has anyone had any problems loading 10 kernels programs? My reaper crashes almost every time..even with totally new session.. but 1k and 5k programs work great! 8-)

well, with those 10k programs, especially the ones with the 'UFE' controls, i'm really going into uncharted territory. that program has 5,600 samples in it. i'm not going to say i'm the only dev to go over 1,000 in a program, but i think i might be. not that i'm saying raw sample count is a record i'm striving for, but it's needed to cram more sampled controls into a program. the ufe progs have 3 controls which were sampled at various positions so it comes to lots of samples and creates a very complex program.

i tested them myself on a few hosts, and a few beta testers did also, but i couldn't be 100% sure those programs would work for everyone in every host. i think it is safe to say nobody else has made a program with close to 5600 samples so it's hard to predict what happens at that point. but the 10k versions aren't always as necessary as you might think. i would really strongly recommend only using the 10k versions if you are going to use heavy compression. like maybe over 8-10dB. because, having seen the structure of the samples up close, i can tell you that those upper harmonics (6-10) will not even exist unless you are using lots of compression, or very hot inputs close to 0dBfs. so you'll just be spending more time loading the program, and you'll still be using more cpu and ram, but won't be getting anything for it. this is because of how insanely clean these units are. further, the 5k version will even be a little more (slightly) accurate with the harmonic structure of the harmonics it does generate. so honestly i kind of think of the 5k versions as the main part of the set.

that said, as lipa asked, is anyone else having that issue?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Grim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 pm

is anyone else having that issue?

Just tried a few of the 10k on a fairly busy project in Cubase...the noUFE seemed ok, but the with UFE 10k took my ASIO from 50% to overloaded a second or 2 after hitting play.
The same preset 5k versions are fine and really not too heavy on CPU at all.

I also tried in an empty project and that same preset worked fine so presumably a combination of factors making it overload like this.

Anyhow....perfectly happy with 5k here.
Grim

Postby giancarlo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:43 pm

5600??????????
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Cupwise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 pm

yes. 5,600.
that's for the 10k version. 5k is less.

Grim wrote:
Just tried a few of the 10k on a fairly busy project in Cubase...the noUFE seemed ok, but the with UFE 10k took my ASIO from 50% to overloaded a second or 2 after hitting play.
The same preset 5k versions are fine and really not too heavy on CPU at all.

I also tried in an empty project and that same preset worked fine so presumably a combination of factors making it overload like this.

thanks grim, that info might be helpful.
did you check to see if adjusting asio buffer has any effect?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 am

In REAPER x86 I can load the 10k UFE programs but it's SLOW to load. Like 5s plate reverb slow heh. That said it seems to be working just fine (and it's totally sweet). But no doubt it's a resource hog, as warned. Brought my i7 to tears (all the sudden I had to look and see what 10k Nebula instances I had running which I haven't had to do in a long time). I don't have the 96K library loaded on this machine yet so I can't test that but I'm sure it loads even slower hehe.

That said I've gone to using the 5k programs on the advice in this thread. They really do seem to be fairly manageable.

Add me to the chorus of people who love this library. Really great job.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 pm

I crash everytime I try to load the 10k. Doesn't matter though...5k sounds amazing.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:25 pm

jpchartrand wrote:I crash everytime I try to load the 10k. Doesn't matter though...5k sounds amazing.

My apologies to everyone who can't run the 10k with or without UFE controls. I only had 2 testers and it loaded for them, and since I lost an HDD, then my computer (which was getting a bit long in the tooth) not too long ago, I 'splurged' a bit with my replacement which I built (first time), and which I LOVE- it's an i7 3820 overclocked to 4625 MHz, 16gb of these RAMs, which are awesome, and I just recently added a Samsung 830 ssd. Almost all of the parts of this I got lucky and got while they were on sale (I'm not rich! and I've never put this much money into a system before, so if it comes off as bragging, forgive me!). Building it was an awesome experience and I think I have a better understanding of how they work and how to get the best out of it, and most importantly- I think it's helped my Nebula work go MANY times faster. Now the computer is actually waiting on me to figure out what to do next, instead of my waiting on it all the time.

The problem is that now my system isn't representational of an average system. So I might tend to lose touch with that every once in a while. That said, I never really tried to even see how many instances I could load of the 10k myself, so I did last night. I can only load 5 before Asio starts stuttering and CPU gets bad. That's in an otherwise blank project. So I can imagine what it's like for others. So I really should have done a little better to stress that the 10k versions are unholy on CPU.

On the other hand, this is probably going to be how I do things from now on, whenever I can. I'm going to add more things in, and use more CPU. There will always be less CPU heavy options that will sound great also, but for people willing to render/print/bounce tracks down to get a little better result, they will have that ability (assuming it even loads on their system). I think that pushes things forward, and it's how the top 3d animation studios have operated (relying on rendering to get the absolute best end result). And I think of it as setting up a nice little bonus in the future when people's computers catch up, maybe they upgrade their systems and then they can go back and use these programs 'live', and it will be like they have a new thing all over again. Maybe I'll come up with some kind of generic disclaimer about this, post it at the site, and just link to it from anything I release that has a CPU hog in it.
Last edited by Cupwise on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:43 pm

I have a Hackintosh which I built - i7 with 32 gb RAM + SSD HD and I wasn't able to load the 10k. Based on your post I should be able to run it fine.

How do you get your cpu to overclock so much??
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

the 3820 is great for overclocking. i'm only air cooling it. i have this with 2 fans, and if i run intelburn (maxes out all cores to stress test an OC) the highest temps are about 78-79°C, which is getting a little too hot and i'll probably have to look into that because a few weeks back it didn't go much over 70. Vents are dusty, and i think i changed some fan settings so hopefully i can get it back down a few degrees, but in real world use it doesn't go into the 70s still (even with the 5 10k progs loaded).

anyway, i'm thinking the cpu is only part of the equation. the SSD and RAM wouldn't have much to do with not being able to load it, i guess, but would help with multiple instances and load times (if progs were installed on the ssd). like i've already said, the progs are all VERY efficient as far as ram so that's not the problem either. i'm thinking it's maybe something more along the lines of being a combination of obscene cpu use, and something with ASIO. it seems like most people reporting this are using reaper? anyone having these issues, if you want to help me try to possibly figure it out, email me some details about your setup and hosts that crash.

i knew the cpu with the 10k versions would be bad, but i kind of figured that the amount/quality of stuff in the set, and the price, would offset that (and fortunately, people seem to think so). but if anyone is actually really unhappy about the situation, contact me (and i want people to contact me over any of my stuff if this is the case, rather than feel like they got burned and not give me a chance to remedy the situation). but, if that's the case, then i would also recommend staying away from my recent and future stuff. ;) the ufe controls would just not be possible without the extra samples and cpu use, and i could have stopped at the 5k versions but wanted to attempt 10k. they came out as cpu monsters, and apparently not very stable ones. i'll do what i can to see where the problem is coming from, but they do seem to work on my system, so i'm not going to stop putting monsters like these in my sets. if that bothers people, don't buy my stuff. if you already did and don't like it, contact me, and i'll do what i can, within reason.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey man thanks for the reply.

I really don't mind not being able to use the 10k but I think 10k is a great experiment and a new way for Nebula (based on what I've seen so far). So I'm very interested in helping to test it.

I'm on Logic on Mountain Lion. Let me know what specs to e-mail you and I will.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries