Login

Rayphlex 661x2 A ( new demo prog added, set updated)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise release: Rayphlex 661x2 A stereo compressors

Postby botus99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 am

Bah, I hate being in a money dry spell. Can't wait to buy this sucker! :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 am

enriquesilveti wrote:Should be interesting if you can sample at SR 384 kHz = 96 kHz x4 in order to get better and small attack samples.

it's an interesting idea, but don't the prog rates go up as you increase sample rate?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Gemini Audio » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 am

biomuse wrote:I tried the community version and yes, it compresses like an algo compressor. Congrats Tim!

Playing devil's advocate, though, I need to ask what tradeoffs are occurring here, if any.

My guess is that it's no accident that you chose a relatively clean compressor to sample for this release. Am I correct in assuming that, with this technique, you won't be able to sample a really thick, characterful compressor with substantial harmonic distortion or complex time-dependent changes?

Or have you really found a way to defy Nebulaic gravity here?

Actually i've discovered that same tweak when i was developing the "KultComp Tube" "Tube Harmonics" program and implemented it. This is not a compressor, but a very colorful program and it worked and sounded better. So this makes me believe, that thick characterful compressors will work with this tweak too.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 am

with all due respect, and i think your comp looks interesting and sounds nice from the demo, but i've done a little more than just a 'tweak'.

i was going to release this 2 weeks ago and i thought i had already improved on the compression behavior then, but it was brought to light that there were still flaws. so i went back and dug through the inner workings, the samples, and even did a little research on comps and how they work. i made MANY adjustments, and tested them.

so for a week and 1/2 i was just working on improving the response, with several changes done over many hours. i have a couple of pages worth of notes altogether (granted this isn't just from that period, some of it is stuff i already did up to that point). i don't see how you could have applied the 'same tweak' since i haven't shared those adjustments with anyone, and a lot of the changes i made aren't going to be something you could tell by loading the programs and looking at the settings. i can say that switching to peak mode is not the only thing i did. ;) (on a side note, yes my set does use peak mode, and most other comp programs use evf17. yes it does change the response to change that and it is one of the adjustments i made. but- a) for accuracy to the hardware, lots of comps shouldn't use peak. and b) it won't solve all comp program issues to make that change).

that aside, i'll stand by my own opinion that the type of behavior i've achieved with this set, probably couldn't be done with a tone-heavy comp and have it retain the tone. i'll also repeat that i could be wrong, and i often am (and in this case i would be glad to be). :)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 am

Well done Tim.
lordnielson

Postby SWAN » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 pm

wow its great to see the response of this new compressor - need to update my system and grab it. Sounds like Tim has done some great work.

re: 'tweak' - steady on - I think Gemini was just referring to one particular tweak and speculating on it...not suggesting the whole behaviour was down to one change...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:25 pm

I've just made a few updates.

a) now there is a free demo version available that will work with any free Nebula. the community version is the better of the two, so if you already have it, you don't need the demo version. the demo version is still good for showing the compression.
grab it here

b) i've added some things to the set. such as duplicate programs for external side-chain input, some of the programs now have a dry % control that you can use to add dry signal back in (which works well because the phase matches nicely), and some of them now have an 'ahead' control which is already usually in most comp programs but i took it out to make room for other stuff and because i never thought ahead was useful. later i saw that it could be used for limiting, so now i've added it back in, for a few progs.

if you have the set you can grab the 44kHz update pack here
and the 96kHz update pack here.

one other thing, if anyone bought the 44k version of the set, make sure that that's what you got. some people were getting the 96k version instead. if this happened to you, contact me.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Rayphlex 661x2 A ( new demo prog added, set updated)

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am

Funny you should say that , I was using it for a parallel compression and noticed the lack of phase issues.

Very clean

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am

thanks for the update, tim. i'm guessing we don't need the vector files, yes? the update only came with n2p files.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am

timp wrote:Funny you should say that , I was using it for a parallel compression and noticed the lack of phase issues.

yeah. the only thing in the set that i've found that can cause phase issues is the bass phase shifter/enhancer, for obvious reasons. it's built into the soft ii comps, and in the no-comp program where it's basically the main feature. so if you wanted bass phase shifter with the soft ii comps, AND parallel compression, you'd want to use 2 instances. one with the soft ii comp and it's bass phase switch off and some dry mixed in, the next with the no comp program and switch it on there.
i mentioned this in the update .txt i think but i thought i'd mention it here in case anyone missed it there.
SWANG wrote:thanks for the update, tim. i'm guessing we don't need the vector files, yes? the update only came with n2p files.
yes that's correct. vectors haven't been changed.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries