Login

"AMK98 CONSOLE EQ AND CHANNEL STRIP" - CDSoundMaster !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: "AMK98 CONSOLE EQ AND CHANNEL STRIP" - CDSoundMaster !!!

Postby norburybrook » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:26 pm

I have a pair of the real things here so I'll let this one pass :D

mc
norburybrook
User Level V
User Level V

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Only still had a few moments to play with this ...

BUT ... this library has some of the most fantastic curve shaping and surgical manipulation that I've ever seen!

First ... although the WeQ has some narrow 'Qs' available, this Library's 'notch' filters are what normally are found in 'algo' eq's ... but this is hardware!

Also ... the High/Low shelving are an incredible design! Most all other shelfs have a 'rolloff' characteristic ... but these are like 'flatline' band adjusters [terrible description]. And the range that they cover ... unbelievable!

With all the other bell-q's included in this lib, the sculpting power is like no other.

I tried out the available 'pre-amp' ... it seems to open up the mid-range area ... I still need to have time to listen to the sonics that impart.

My hope is that any coloring would be minimal and transparent, because the shaping ability has 'Mastering' all over it!

Ya know ... I've purchased nearly every NEB EQ library to date, and I really did NOT want to buy another one, but this design is so unique. Check out the graphs to see what I'm referring to.

Again, need more time to evaluate sonics!

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

I tried out the available 'pre-amp' ... it seems to open up the mid-range area ...

Try loading a preamp on every channel. Followed by an eq where required (low cut is nice) and a no-eq line amp on the 2bus and it sounds like a console to me :D
sneaky

Postby lipa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey RJHollins,.. what is a WeQ?? :?: ;)
lipa

Postby RJHollins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 pm

lipa wrote:Hey RJHollins,.. what is a WeQ?? :?: ;)

Hi Lipa,

oh ... that was suppose to be MWeQ [ModernWhite] from AlexB.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm

yeah.. I love MWQ, cutting sounds very good on that eq..but I'll buy this amek next week! :P
lipa

Postby Henry Olonga » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 am

RJHollins wrote:
Ya know ... I've purchased nearly every NEB EQ library to date, and I really did NOT want to buy another one, but this design is so unique. Check out the graphs to see what I'm referring to.

Hope your enjoying it Rj as your enthusiasm shows,
Once in a while I see a comment like this and have a quiet chuckle. Its as if we in the Nebula world have had a big meal and are well and truly stuffed. 'Okay no more! There's no more room in my belly. I have had enough. I don't need anymore'. Until the next hunger pangs kick in and the next release comes along LOL. Can you ever build a studio with too many hardware options?
A little personal story if I may. Not directed at you Rob by the way, just a rambling on my obervations. When I arrived in the UK and started my life from scratch I almost cried at the expense of owning tools to allow me to pursue my musical dreams. I almost thought someone had played a joke on me. Back in the day about 2003 I discovered the usual large retailers who sold the usual mass appeal mid priced stuff sold be college graduates. Etcetera, The now defunct Turnkey on Tottenham road, DV247 and so on. But then I realised that in spite of having an M-box, Protools and the Sony Oxford bundle, there was something missing. I had a Rode NTK microphone which was a nice valve mic but was limited in options. I needed a high quality low cut switch and a preamp that gave me some eq options. I did a bit of research and ended up getting the GML 2032 from HHB. I had heard of and read of George Massenburg on various forums and was in awe of his Discography. His music was music I had grown up with. So off I went and got that piece only to discover that it actually would be nice to crank up the input and get a nice warm fuzzy sound once in a while. Well GML won't give that to you if that's what you want. So eventually got another one for stereo work but still had the rock sound in my head that was fat, distorted and distinct. I knew I needed more options.

So I got q-clone and it helped with a fewoptions but where was the warmth and distortion. Antares came out with a plugin modelling tubes. Aaah that's a bit better. But wouldn't real tubes be even better? Off to a shop called KMR after a lengthy research. Wow what a catalogue. Now we are talking, re-issues of stuff the Beatles recorded on, The Who, The Rolling Stones, all the 80s musicians I had listened to. That sound was now in one place under one roof. So many options, but so out of luck, why? Well none of that stuff was cheap. Forget middle of the road kid, this is the high end. Welcome to the kind of shop that can wreck marriages and cause you to sell your children's future. You could easily spend 100k in that place and come away with 5 pieces. I could never save nearly enough in a lifetime to own 'those sounds' nor could I justify it.

But a little community begun brewing. People like me, frustrated by the high price point if entry into 'those sounds', the high cost of plugins that didn't quite do what the hardware did and a lack of CPU. But a revolution begun with the lab techs at Intel leading the way. Suddenly Giancarlo and company's skills could be matched by the CPU grunt of a workstation and the third party devs begun to flourish. I discovered a simple website run by a very nice, curteous and refreshingly knowledgable American called Michael Angel. He always replied my e-mails and gave very good explanations for any enquiries I made. I bought all the stuff he produced in a heartbeat. He and the Nebula family understood what we all now know. It actually is possible to get ' that sound' and deliver it over files on the internet and into a computer. It had happened to the CD and now it happened to 'sounds'. No postage, no waiting, no cash tills. Instant on-demand, virtual cheap studio sounds. But many still don't appreciate how HUGE this is. Like, dude you can own the sound of a $10 000 eq in your computer for like 1/ 300th of the price.

I stopped crying then about not being able to get 'that sound' anymore. I embraced the revolution for what is was. Absolutely Mega! This game has changed.

So when I go to the GS forum and see another member ask in the high end forum - Help me spend 75 k on my studio, what to get? First I chuckle and then I think to myself either you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you are blind to the revolution ( and find fault with the website, the GUI, the documention, the CPU hog etc ) or you simply need to visit another forum errrrrrrr . . . . this one.
I'm laughing all the way to the bank thanks to this community coz I have saved so much and can get comparable results to the big guys - well sorta - just my own skills the dividing factor. So big thanks to guys like Michael, Alex. AITB. Wisecup and the rest.

All of this to say. The revolution only works if you support the guys who started it. I know it may sound odd coming from a developer but I am not saying this for me. I am a late comer. We should honour these guys who had the vision to start it off by buying their products because some of them went into this fulltime. Don't buy it cause it's just another tool that you may need. Buy it because it has enabled us all to smile when we push a slider and know that this is our little secret despised by the unitiated. Haters be gone. Buy it because it sounds incredible. Buy it to keep the revolution going forward. Viva democracy in Pro Audio. Being spoilt for choice is a tremendous privilige we must never take for granted because this rev is a double edged sword. It can be tarnished as easily as someone placing a free file of anything on the internet.
Peace
H :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Henry ..... RJ here ;)

Your post, though not directed at me, [but INCLUDES me] is so on the mark ! :)

The scenario you describe going through is so relevant, especially to those of us who had the opportunity to begin our careers before there were computers [that at least didn't require a separate building to house it :| ].

When I 'retired' from the studio scene [almost 30yrs in], digital workstations, midi sequencing, console automation had already established a strong foothold. I was called away to ad-junc at a major uni for several years. Not having my doctorate, and 'they' requiring a 'teaching' degree, I decided it was time to step away ... and catch my breath so that I could consider what I wanted to do next.

What had been on the back burner ... me playing music ... specifically, drumming [my personal passion].
I am so fortunate at this moment to be playing in 3 different bands, with a caliber of musicians that inspires! I'm very thankful.

The studio bug hit hard, and plans came together to build. I am, right now, typing away in a 'dream come true' Control Room.

Leading up to this was building faster computers ... and buying lots of software ... trying to find something ... anything I liked. Sure, there were/are so very cool things ... but the FUNDAMENTALS :shock: In simple terms, all I heard was 1 dimensional, plastic :roll:

One day, a buddy of mine sent me a magazine with a CD disk included that had audio software. One of the programs was this thing called NEBULA CMF [or something like that]. So I eventually installed to check it out. Hummm ... very interesting. Found their website, with a bunch of cool people on it, and even more libraries and demos.

I was very intrigued, since having a convolution reverb was about the only other plugin that sounded halfway 'real', this VC concept sounded promising [to say the least]. There were plenty of limitations, especially when I heard my quad-core actually begin to whimper ... it had never done anything like that before ... and I was doing plenty of radiocity graphics rendering [because I've always enjoyed art and design]. Ended up building a bigger, faster computer as my interest grew listening, working with NEBULA and the collection that was building. It soon became a no-brainer to buy the PRO version.

When I recently moved into my new CR, I upgraded to the Server version. I still need to build a newer computer, or hope I can utilize the server function to farm out ... this is extremely important.

The continuous growing library, with the equipment they represent, is nothing short of amazing. The rental charges we had at the studio for a session was most more than buying the NEB library [now I hope the 'devs' don't ratchet those up :roll: :lol: ].

One of the problems ... the overwhelming numbers of gear [libraries] to study and learn about ... oh ... and I really, really miss tweaking knobs :( From flying, two hands, around N**e's, S*L's and all kinds of gear ... this point/ click with a mouse is a real drag ... and my hand hurts :|

anyway ... I too look forward to the next releases. Right now the compressors are the critical focus.

As you mention ... the community support ... purchasing libraries ... will help drive future releases and development/advances.

and by the way ... do we have some cool people on this forum or what !!! :D
:lol:
8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm

wow.. Henry...not a typical nebula forum chit-chat.. it's like a big manifesto!! viva la revolution, hell yeah!! :D
lipa

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm

I could write about as much as Henry on this topic, but why bother. he said it so beautifully, especially great job representing us "older analog guys". I have been talking to many of the "uninitiated" using the same language, referring to this as a sonic revolution going on. I have said more times than I can count that I am so grateful of what I can achieve sonically in my small but powerful project studio. I could never even dream of owning (or even ever seeing) a fraction of the amazing gear in it's actual physical form that I have as Nebula or Aqua emulations. It blows my mind every time I sit down to start or resume a project. My ears were weened on the warm creamy goodness of circuitry, tubes, magnetic tape, diodes, transistors, transformers.... and that audio signal would pass through them all and come out almost the same but somehow richer, more palpable, and magical. When I finally got brave enough to dive into digital audio, I abhorred what i heard. I didn't even like my own compositions, I thought. Did I really make music that sounded like this? Yuck. And like Henry (who has been a wealth of info and guidance for me on my Nebula journey), Michael Angel was one of the first people that, through his own excitement and knowledge of this new and amazing (revolutionary) audio technology, pulled me deep into it as well. So yeah.... support these amazing devs and talk about it however you can!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries