Login

Fatso?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Fatso?

Postby sheever » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:44 pm

AlexB wrote:Thank you Michael, I think that if I need tape color and harmonic saturation, R2R is the best you can found, and much better than any Fatso, hardware or plugin ;)
Fatso is an emulation and it sounds quite arsh to my ears...

R2R is amazing I love it too.
but to get to the point you can pull it out the tape sounds even more to put a compressor in the next slot on the buss channel.
Besides the Draw her one of the best if not the best compressor preset I ve ever heard under nebula it havent got enough agressivity to maximize the power of tape caused transients.
I hope it make sense with my perfect english :P
sheever
User Level III
User Level III

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

I suspect the Fatso is a somewhat unique device (I should point out I've never actually worked with one) and the compressor stage itself might be desirable to some; but I do agree that it's a somewhat questionable use of development time to worry about tape simulators when we not only have great tape libraries but the equipment to sample the actual tape machines themselves. Same deal with the ATS-1, why sample a tape simulator when you could just sample those actual tape machines it simulates? I'd rather get a new tape machine / tape stock than even the very best of the simulations.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 pm

yes I somewhat agree given the hugely labor intensive job it would be to capture a FATSO I wonder if it is worth it given Tape and Transformer is already available - plus some compression...
What I would like to see tho is more saturation Nebula presets for colouring -> driven overdrive....
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby sheever » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:55 pm

ngarjuna wrote:I suspect the Fatso is a somewhat unique device (I should point out I've never actually worked with one) and the compressor stage itself might be desirable to some; but I do agree that it's a somewhat questionable use of development time to worry about tape simulators when we not only have great tape libraries but the equipment to sample the actual tape machines themselves. Same deal with the ATS-1, why sample a tape simulator when you could just sample those actual tape machines it simulates? I'd rather get a new tape machine / tape stock than even the very best of the simulations.

I just copied:
Empirical Labs FATSO Jr. Features:

* Soft clip features modeled after broadband tape saturation. Smooth clipping up to 20% THD
* User programmable high frequency saturation
* Switchable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like N**e, A*I, etc.
* Four compression modes - One for tracking, one general purpose, one "bus" compressor, and SPANK (see below). All LINKABLE!
* SPANK!- An additional limiter that musically smashes the dynamic range, and can be used to stop clipping before digital recorders
* Huge "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering
* Distortion indicator lights - A 0 VU LED and a "Pinned" (5%) LED
* Sidechain output and input for eq-ing control signals.
* Locked, calibrated, output level - Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
* Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to get a bad sound
* Discrete and integrated combination - the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components
* Switchable 110/220 volt operation
* True bypass

so I am interesting about that compressor behavior
I would be happy to fitt after my R2R presets just to see if its worth to deal with.
AlexB do you have recorded preset with the compressor itself?
sheever
User Level III
User Level III

Postby kungfujeezus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Somebody please just sample an Ampex 350/351 pre & tape machine and I'll be happy. :mrgreen:
kungfujeezus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby scooter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 pm

kungfujeezus wrote:Somebody please just sample an Ampex 350/351 pre & tape machine and I'll be happy. :mrgreen:

I've got a fully rebuilt 1/4" ATR102 I'd like to try and create a library with. I'm not too stocked on my converters right now (Steinberg MR816 doesn't bypass the preamps). Once I save up enough for a Lavry Black in and out, I'll start building my own libraries.

How much does AD/DA weigh into affecting a Nebula preset?
-Scott
scooter

Postby zaminx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

scooter wrote:
kungfujeezus wrote:Somebody please just sample an Ampex 350/351 pre & tape machine and I'll be happy. :mrgreen:

I've got a fully rebuilt 1/4" ATR102 I'd like to try and create a library with. I'm not too stocked on my converters right now (Steinberg MR816 doesn't bypass the preamps). Once I save up enough for a Lavry Black in and out, I'll start building my own libraries.

How much does AD/DA weigh into affecting a Nebula preset?

Use the inserts to bypass the pre on the MR816
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby scooter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks zaminx

I always worry about fidelity and signal strength (as driving the insert too hard). I patched into the insert on the 816 before and wasn't too happy with the results. I could have sworn it was clipping. I was using an unbalanced cable inserted half way in, but perhaps I need to get a Y-Insert cable and just use one side.
-Scott
scooter

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:44 am

Thank you for your kind words, Alex. It means a lot.

AlexB wrote:Thank you Michael, I think that if I need tape color and harmonic saturation, R2R is the best you can found, and much better than any Fatso, hardware or plugin ;)
Fatso is an emulation and it sounds quite arsh to my ears...
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby davidperetz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:03 pm

About the AnaMod i had tried and worked with the Ana Mod and it's really a fantastic machine that get you close enough for tape sound but if you know what you are doing (matching levels, IPS and tapes) R2R will get the job done to the very same degree as an AnaMod.
The only thing that differentiates between the AnaMod and the R2R is the lack of other machines and tapes. The AnaMod has quite a veraity of them and it really what makes this a fantastic machine. the colors you get with the same chain and just switching the machine and tape is quite amazing you can dial a lot of classic tones with it. the R2R is not there yet in terms of veraity (and i hope Michael will do an R2R2, with more professional machines and tapes:) so in that i suggest skip the AnaMod sampling of tapes and sample the original
davidperetz
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries