Login

patches for timed mode

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: patches for timed mode

Postby Cupwise » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:18 am

i went ahead and added 2 new sets of patches, one that sets the lengths to 50ms for preamp programs (and some EQ programs that use 50ms for freqd already), and another that sets them to 10ms for comps. i said i wasn't going to do it, but i finally got some free time.

also, i noticed that the previous patches that 'max out' the lengths, where i said 'up to 80ms', it's actually 'up to 800ms'. it just means that they really will 'max out' pretty much anything except for reverb programs that go over 800ms (nothing besides a reverb/delay should go over 800ms). but this doesn't mean it will increase any program up to that level. it just means it will set the program to use the full length of the kern, if it isn't already. and a most efficient program should be using the full kern length already, because if it isn't, then you are loading impulse material that isn't being used. but that's not a big deal unless it's using way less than the full length. so if the patches actually do raise the kern length used by freqd by a large amount, don't blame the patches...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:04 am

ohhh ... just found this thread again!

I'm wondering if the discussion here applies to what I've recently encountered while manually adjusting a PC&S Millennium Preamp.

If I may impose upon those more experienced.

I've posted this 'issue' in another thread, no response as yet :|

I've edited my .XML file to allow larger settings for a special TIMED version of NEBULA. I'm using this particular version as a base template [NOT saving any of the patches, as I manually adjust both the 'CLEAN' and 'EVEN' settings on the KERN page. Fortunately, using REAPER, those adjustments recall [without issue] for the NEBs that I've used this way.

Here's the confusing part !

The original preamp has 50ms as the default. I click arrows and set both parameters to 50ms. Fine.

However, after playing some audio, the ORIGINAL values are no longer at 50ms ?!?!? My changed settings still are.

Are my settings correct?? or do I need to re match to this changed values? I've tried that, but it seems like the values will change again ?!?!?

Or course ... I soon get to the point of maxing out the computer ... so the experiment rapidly breaks down the playback :|

Bottom line ... what are we suppose to do ?? Leave the TIMED values at 50ms as first shown when the original library loaded up ???

Appreciate any insight, guidance, clarification, to help me better understand and implement.

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 am

I will probably get blasted for this next statement, but my opinion is to leave the settings alone at whatever the library dev has set it at and get back to making music. I keep seeing these very interesting threads regarding different tweaks for different uses of Nebula, and I am sure that they all (or most at least) are amazing and valid. But I have also noticed that most of the experienced devs tell us to not worry about it since they have optimized the libraries for instant use. I am sure that some tweaks can improve things a little, but is it really worth the time and computer resources to do this? Back when I was using all analog gear, I ALWAYS maintained my gear the best i could. But what about those tubes.... did I keep them fresh and new...? NO WAY! They started getting more character as they aged (until that threshold was reached, but that is a unpredictable variable, not a scientific number). I guess what I am saying is this: if you want to use up your hours "optimizing" your Nebula instances, where is the music making time going to come from? I am as big of a geek as any of you, but my biggest joy (and goal) is that audio.
This is not a judgement or even a suggestion, I guess I had a rant brewing and I had to let it out. Cheers!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Richie,

Appreciate your comments, however, my primary interest is not writing.

I have also read all the discussion, comments, regarding modifications to the NEBULA engine.

More importantly, I have zero interest imposing what I hear, or think I hear, on anyone. Nor do I rely on anyones determination os sonic quality/ integrity, though I do give serious consideration to all others' perspectives and observations. But the bottom line is what I hear.

Not that it should matter to anyone, there are certain NEB adjustments that are clearly distinguishable from a jambox, to Auratones, right up to the main mastering system. For whatever reason, when consistently choosing the same patch for its' sonics over another ... and then to find out that it happened to be the modded version ... which one should I go with :lol: I chose the patch that best serves the sonics of the track I'm hired to master.

Believe me ... that LAST thing I wanted to get involved with was now modifying NEBULA [or at least specific libraries - in this case, the Millennium Preamp.] Granted ... the original, newly updated PRE sounds great. I would have been quite satisfied. That would be a blanket statement I'd express for most all NEBULA libraries. I spent thousands on algo plugs over the past several years in pursuit of anything that would resemble some of the sonics that we took for granted. Working studios like The Plant, or Cherokee, there was nothing out there that we could not get. [This was at a time when record production had proper budgets].

Again ... not trying to show an attitude or anything, nor interest in 'converting' anybody. This is part of my research/ independent study for my own self.

I'm seeking clarification, understanding, of why certain parameters are changing from their initial value, and how I'm to interpret this.

If this sounded a rant ... my apologies.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 pm

richie43 wrote:I will probably get blasted for this next statement, but my opinion is to leave the settings alone at whatever the library dev has set it at and get back to making music. I keep seeing these very interesting threads regarding different tweaks for different uses of Nebula, and I am sure that they all (or most at least) are amazing and valid. But I have also noticed that most of the experienced devs tell us to not worry about it since they have optimized the libraries for instant use. I am sure that some tweaks can improve things a little, but is it really worth the time and computer resources to do this? Back when I was using all analog gear, I ALWAYS maintained my gear the best i could. But what about those tubes.... did I keep them fresh and new...? NO WAY! They started getting more character as they aged (until that threshold was reached, but that is a unpredictable variable, not a scientific number). I guess what I am saying is this: if you want to use up your hours "optimizing" your Nebula instances, where is the music making time going to come from? I am as big of a geek as any of you, but my biggest joy (and goal) is that audio.
This is not a judgement or even a suggestion, I guess I had a rant brewing and I had to let it out. Cheers!!

INDEED,Well Said!!!
dacaveprods

Postby Cupwise » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 pm

richie43 wrote:I will probably get blasted for this next statement, but my opinion is to leave the settings alone at whatever the library dev....This is not a judgement or even a suggestion, I guess I had a rant brewing and I had to let it out. Cheers!!

i partly agree with you. what bugs me a bit is when people come to the forum thinking that their programs are not working well, because they haven't made some tweaks which they saw someone talking about, and so they think it's necessary to get a good sound. truth is, things are already optimized to sound good on the nebula end, and if the devs know what they are doing (and i'm not suggesting any don't), the programs will be fine as they are when you get them also. and mainly i think it's funny because in these types of posts, the poster doesn't usually say that their programs sound bad, but they still think they might be bad, which to me makes no sense.

on the other hand, some things can be tweaked and may provide benefits for some special cases. giancarlo himself has said that timed mode sounds better than freqd, and it's probably one of the most basic things that can be adjusted for possible gain. also there's the fact that if g/acustica didn't want people tweaking these things at all, they wouldn't or shouldn't have left these parameters available for adjustment by the end user. the fact that they are available, to me, sends the message that they wanted some users to experiment with these things, possibly find new setups, and report those and maybe help advance nebula.

as for these patches, i released them knowing that they were pretty unwieldy and i made the problems with using them pretty clear, i think. so they are definitely a use at your own risk sort of deal, and i want to re-state that everything should be backed up before any type of tinkering is done with any programs.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries