Login

AlexB Modern White eQ PRO

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB Modern White eQ PRO

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:11 pm

lordnielson wrote:
h-man wrote:it takes a big man to hear what your customers are saying. :)

Alex has (with his replies and general attitude in this thread) shown me that he honestly doesn't give a f**k about my opinion. Naturally I won't do any more business there, copy protection or not.

This discussion is getting old and my conclusion is that if a developer won't make even the tiniest effort to respect or just communicate with me as a customer, I'm out.

Fortunately for all of us there's a lot of interesting stuff going on in Nebula land.

I don't know why customers always feel like their personal preferences are more important than what is (potentially at least) a well thought out business model. If you think that all Nebula customers agree with you that 1) AlexB's authorization is unacceptable, 2) would prefer hardware iLok style authorization you should count how many people actually agreed with you in this thread (less than ten). One man's ceiling is another man's floor. There are plenty who don't mind AlexB's method (and probably many more who don't care).

There's a simple solution for everyone: buy the programs you want and don't buy the programs you don't want. But to tantrum because a developer won't bend to the will of half a dozen people on a web forum is a bit over the top.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:51 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
I don't know why customers always feel like their personal preferences are more important than what is (potentially at least) a well thought out business model. If you think that all Nebula customers agree with you that 1) AlexB's authorization is unacceptable, 2) would prefer hardware iLok style authorization you should count how many people actually agreed with you in this thread (less than ten). One man's ceiling is another man's floor. There are plenty who don't mind AlexB's method (and probably many more who don't care).

There's a simple solution for everyone: buy the programs you want and don't buy the programs you don't want. But to tantrum because a developer won't bend to the will of half a dozen people on a web forum is a bit over the top.

Mate I haven't been keeping score of who's on which side of the fence, and I can't say that I care at all either.

I bought from Alex in good faith, without previous customer discount as a sign of good will on my behalf.
But when I express my worries about the direction of a dodgy protection scheme on products of which I own several and the developer laughs it off, labeling it as "mental masturbation" I get pissed off.
lordnielson

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:04 pm

lordnielson wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:

Mate I haven't been keeping score of who's on which side of the fence, and I can't say that I care at all either.

I bought from Alex in good faith, without previous customer discount as a sign of good will on my behalf.
But when I express my worries about the direction of a dodgy protection scheme on products of which I own several and the developer laughs it off, labeling it as "mental masturbation" I get pissed off.

Fair and well and I can appreciate that the issue is important to you and indeed not some theoretical mental masturbation (I suspect Alex knows this too).

But in terms of who's on which side, it's not a matter of mob rule or anything like that but when half a dozen people strenuously object you have to take into account how the other dozens/hundreds/thousands (I honestly have no idea how many copies of his programs Alex has sold) might agree or disagree. Just because a small number of people are being very vocal doesn't mean they represent a majority opinion (for example I doubt very much that the majority of Nebula users would prefer [or even be okay with] iLok).

But even all that aside: here's a thread to announce and discuss a program set that AlexB (I'm sure) worked very hard on. I don't think we should continue to hijack this thread to pepper Alex (whether or not you approve of his authentication methods we can all agree that Alex is a great Nebula sampler and a boon to Nebula in general) with obscene accusations. There's already another thread to discuss authentication which has already displayed the wide spectrum of opinion on this matter; if cool heads can prevail that thread is an opportunity for the users to discuss and contrast some of the options that might (or could) be available.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Juanjo wrote:
giancarlo wrote:...If someone has a better idea or is able to code c++, we could move to something better, honestly I'm running out of ideas.

How about some form of fingerprinting and/or personalized key files? For example take a look at the ARIA engine developed by Plogue and used by Garritan in their most recent products: elegant, unobtrusive, and apparently it works as I don't think GPO4 has been cracked? They even made a selling point out of it, "graceful copy protection" they call it...

Anyway, ANYTHING unobtrusive for legitimate users... personally I feel that having Nebula itself with C/R is already painful, but having libraries with C/R on top of the Nebula C/R is just nonsense.

Btw we're hijacking this thread, there's a dedicated parallel discussion going on here:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

just to make clear a point. Nebula is NOT protected. The protection you see it's for the commercial library. We are not protecting nebula, which is a player, but libraries. If you buy the commercial library you buy nebula, the support, and you don't have to care about upgrades, you'll download them as soon as they are available. You'll have all the tools and so on. Which is a pretty amazing value. A different discussion could be raised on 3rd party libraries. Each developer is free to protect the work, as he likes the most. There is hard work in each sampling session, and hard work in supporting customers and so on. Everyone is free to decide what's the best solution.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mertayy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:23 pm

giancarlo wrote:Everyone is free to decide what's the best solution.

I thinks thats the main problem here as growth will make things a little more complicated on the customer side.

just an idea but why don't you guys handle the 3rd party developer protection?

I mean I guess sooner or later the .ser files will be sent automaticly, can't such system be used for 3rd party developers too ( .aut) ? so the entire system will be connected and standardized by your company.
mertayy

Postby Juanjo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:17 pm

giancarlo wrote:just to make clear a point. Nebula is NOT protected. The protection you see it's for the commercial library. We are not protecting nebula, which is a player, but libraries. If you buy the commercial library you buy nebula, the support, and you don't have to care about upgrades, you'll download them as soon as they are available. You'll have all the tools and so on. Which is a pretty amazing value.

Thanks for the clarification and I agree completely, on Nebula being amazing value.

giancarlo wrote:A different discussion could be raised on 3rd party libraries. Each developer is free to protect the work, as he likes the most. There is hard work in each sampling session, and hard work in supporting customers and so on. Everyone is free to decide what's the best solution.

Again I agree completely, everyone has the right to protect his work exactly as they see fit, same right we as customers have of factoring that on our purchase decisions, and of being able to, politely, express our opinions on them and even suggest alternatives that might benefit all.
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Postby farjedi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 pm

mertayy wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Everyone is free to decide what's the best solution.

I thinks thats the main problem here as growth will make things a little more complicated on the customer side.

just an idea but why don't you guys handle the 3rd party developer protection?

I mean I guess sooner or later the .ser files will be sent automaticly, can't such system be used for 3rd party developers too ( .aut) ? so the entire system will be connected and standardized by your company.

I alreay suggested this in the '.ser' thread I started, obviously everyone do as they please but I second the suggestion of leaving this thread to discussing the modern white eq and make comments there. I think this sort of future looking 'worry' would be eliminated if authorisations were done from Acustica, if 3rd parties fall off, users can still get authorisations from here.That is the only issue I would like to see resolved, the .ser itself is OK. Anyway inevitably they will do what they think correct.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries