Login

AlexB Modern White eQ PRO

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB Modern White eQ PRO

Postby AlexB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm

tumburu wrote:This over-caution is a bit paranoid to me, but i think it prepares the field for the Nebula powered (Aqua) products.

You are right
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm

With the amount of aggression Nebula generates on Gearslutz and Kvr among the non believers I'm sure they're gonna have a field day with this .

And if it's going to be the prevalent protection for all products Nebula in the future where you have to manually get an authorisation file whenever something changes on your system then I'm history around here.
Very sad developement, because it won't stop the program from being reverse engineered. It will just become such an incredible nuisance for the paying users.
lordnielson

Postby SWAN » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm

It could stop wholesale uploading of 3rd party programs tho...I dont think crackers will bother with Nebula presets...but I can understand why the developers want some protection...

Can someone explain the Alex B copy protection here as Im about to purchase some stuff...? Is it similar to the Nebula .ser file?

Lord Neilson to say you are going to leave Nebula community for this is a little "throwing the baby out with the bathwater..."?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

lordnielson wrote:With the amount of aggression Nebula generates on Gearslutz and Kvr among the non believers I'm sure they're gonna have a field day with this .

If users or developers cared about such stupid aggression then we'd stoped using Nebula long ago.

lordnielson wrote:And if it's going to be the prevalent protection for all products Nebula in the future where you have to manually get an authorisation file whenever something changes on your system then I'm history around here.

Everyone has different needs and a different system setup and thats ok. But if you're changing things so common on your system then it makes one think your system is actually problematic.

The way I see it this is more of a pain to alexb then us(you do it once or twice on your system but he has to manage all of his customers...). For us, its just a simple e-mail+copy/paste process nothing more or new about it.

lordnielson wrote:Very sad developement, because it won't stop the program from being reverse engineered. It will just become such an incredible nuisance for the paying users.

As far as I know, Nebula isn't reversed engineered (yet) for a reason and this protection is helpful to keep it that way.
mertayy

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:36 pm

mertayy wrote:.....

Well dear Mertay, I'm glad you feel that way about it. I don't. I think it's bothersome, annoying, flowbreaking and wholly unnecessary. I'm being asked to jump through hoops in order to avoid the inavoidable.
For sure this copy protection will prevail where simple ones like syncrosoft and Ilok have failed ???!!!!!

The reason it hasn't been cracked (of this I'm 100%) is because people who aren't part of this circuit don't really know what it is or how it works. Is it one program ? or fifty ? Where to start ?
Once somebody figures that out, it'll be all over the place like any other software out there. The advantage of Nebula though is that it keeps evolving, so essentially you can't really crack it. Which is why I'm seriously bothered by this new "protection". It compromises my investment.

And listen, I've been a member of the community since 2007 so I have of course reinstalled my os a few times since then. Y'know keep your daw all smooth like.
lordnielson

Postby david1103 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:18 pm

i am against this new copy protection for the exact reasons that have been mentioned in this thread.

if i buy something i want to know i own it and can use it whenever i want in the future. it takes a long time to learn the sound of an eq and how to use it. it could mean whole projects are unplayable if it stopped working.

god forbid anything happened to alex, or any developer! still the fact remains the whole program's ability to continue to function rests on one person. its been proven so many times that all protection will be cracked that it is a really annoying development to have more challenge response protection.

in a way i would rather a dongle, and believe me i don't want a dongle :)

... i do have an idea for a solution, how about this:

every developer must agree in writing that if he goes out of business or something goes wrong that:

1. in worst case of death or accident acustica audio can release a patch that de-protects the library forever (no need to pay hosting for a large library. just a patch)

2. in normal case of going out of business the developer must release the library unprotected themselves (they pay the hosting for a reasonable amount of time and contact all customers)

it sounds wrong talking in all these formal terms and talking about people dying! this is friendly fun nebula we are talking about... copy protection has brought the evil bad vibes into this forum :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby scooter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 pm

The problem with people, ownership and digital plug-ins is people feel plug-ins should have an infinite life span. And this train of thought is completely backward.

Our Nebula preset's hardware counterparts have a life span and have failing components that call for repair.Software becomes out dated and so does computer hardware.
Much like our lovely Nebula MBC/CLC/MWC/MTC introduces harmonic love,thresholds and filters that govern and add new musical limitations to our DAWS, so must the people who create the presets have the right to the publishing "our" libraries and introducing their own limitations.

The digital world is virtually infinite! But we must institute filters and limitations, much like the presets themselves or risk sinking into the abyss. Just like we've begun to do for down-loadable music.

Besides.... who started this? This is entirely off topic! :roll:
-Scott
scooter

Postby SWAN » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:50 pm

yeah this seems crazy out of perspective. We are talking about the possibility of Alex B death and the potential of loosing a €20 program...I know times are tough but....
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:44 am

SWAN wrote:yeah this seems crazy out of perspective. We are talking about the possibility of Alex B death and the potential of loosing a €20 program...I know times are tough but....

Well no we're talking about this becoming THE protection for 3rd party programs.
I've got 9 soo far. At some point that starts looking like money (it may not to you) but I don't see a point in flushing money.

I wasn't really talking death. Try: lack of interest, a better proposition, Giancarlo selling the technology, people falling out (over protections ), long term illness, walking the dog, marrying a hot chick who hates geeks. Shit happens, and we may all have the best intentions to start with, but that doesn't always hold up.

I'm being judgemental here, but the protection in question looks to me like a lot of potential misery with very little gain. I like reassurance that what I buy is mine. (I'm just funny that way ?).

I've made my opinion clear and will stay out of this from now on.
lordnielson

Postby mertayy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am

lordnielson wrote:For sure this copy protection will prevail where simple ones like syncrosoft and Ilok have failed ???!!!!!

The reason it hasn't been cracked...

I understand what you mean and I guess at this point there isn't much to argue about personal preferences...

My idea is the cracker cannot access %90 of the librarys without being a customer . So thats why I believe such protection (in a way) can be useful. And there's also the "buddys" idea that I can think where 2 friends both own Nebula...
mertayy

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries