Login

Cupwise releases community edition compressor (FREE STUFF)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cupwise releases community edition compressor (FREE STUFF)

Postby Cupwise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:40 pm

OK!
so i just dealt with some crazy madness, to try to get this program made up to upload and release here. for some crazy reason it took me a few hours running in circles trying to chase down some bugs that seemed to be based on magic gremlins in my computer.

ANYWAY..
what it is, is a compressor program from a set which i think i've pretty much finished up. this zip i'm about to link to has a 'community edition' program in it, which i think is a very use-able compressor program. it IS feature 'crippled' compared to the full set... but mainly just by the fact that i've removed the ability to adjust the ratio. it's stuck at 6:1.
you STILL have LOTS of controls to mess with and can get a ton of use out of this i bet. it still isn't near what you will be able to do with the full version, let alone the complete set.

i still have to do a little more testing, make some audio demo mp3s (and i'm low on material to use...), and then type up the page at my site, set it all up etc, before the set will be released. but i've been working pretty feverishly on it, dealing with tens of thousands of files until i feel like my brain is about to melt, and now that it's (i think) done, i just want to get something out there. so i'm throwing this out ahead of time as a kind of appetizer. i almost worry that the program is too much to just give away, but it really is just the tip of the iceberg.

when the set goes up i may just edit/erase this post, rename this thread and use this same thread as the general release thread. i just wanted to show what i've been up to.
:)

.txt in the zip gives some info. progs only work with commercial Nebula. 44k and 96k versions included.

http://www.cupwise.com/cup/demo-programs/RayPhlex661x2-com-edition.zip
-tim
Last edited by Cupwise on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise releases community edition compressor (FREE STUFF)

Postby adam73 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 pm

thank you :P
adam73
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm

cool thanks! - I wonder what this is... ;)
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby piperboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks Tim! Can't wait to try. All of your stuff is killer!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:49 pm

SWAN wrote:cool thanks! - I wonder what this is... ;)
it's nothing anyone would consider 'vintage', it's 90's era. but looking it up online and glancing at forum reviews/discussions, it seems to be considered a very solid work-horse compressor, and across a hand-full of threads i've seen, it's pretty much all very positive opinions. a very clean sound, pretty much what goes in is what comes out, only compressed. it has VERY impressive specs (regards to noise, distortion etc), loads of features and controls to adjust, and it was the challenge of capturing all of the possibilities that really drew me to it. i had to make some custom templates to have the main attraction even be possible, which is that there are 2 extra controls that 'expand' the higher frequencies. or you could think of it as 'compressing them less than the other stuff'. those controls are in the community version.

in the full set there are compressor programs which have a total of 5 sampled adjustable controls, if you count attack and release. the reason i say that is because they are sampled differently from other types of 'sampled controls'. but i sampled the attack and release here with lots of precision and with dynamics of their own too, so i think they should count. to get 5 sampled controls in a compressor, and 10k, it amounts to ~6thousand samples a program, so they are really pushing boundaries. there are going to be 1k and 5k options too, and since the comps are so clean those versions are just as valid to use. so no, it isn't a super 'character' piece, but has lots of control-ability and does what it does well.

I'm calling the comp 'Rayphlex 661x2'. (hint). the 'x2' part is because there are actually 2 of the comps (sequential serial numbers) in linked stereo mode (so the prog in the zip is actually 2 comps in stereo). i think the clicky attack/transient overshoot issue doesn't seem so bad with these, and the compression effect can really be obvious (some things for people to check out in the free program)...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks for your generosity Tim.Very nice.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby botus99 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Played around with it. Not sure where I want to use it yet, but it does sound great! Since this compressor is a little different from the norm, it'll take a few tries to find good applications for it.

Unless, does anyone have any suggestions regarding usage preferences? :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:04 am

Thanks! People seem to love the 661 (never used one myself), can't wait to check it out. Were you able to sample it in Easyrider mode for the full library?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks for this one!! You could have called it "Aphex Twin" (or twins) :D that would be realy funny.. ;)
lipa

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries