Login

Nebula Compressors

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Nebula Compressors

Postby SWAN » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Im struggling to find an algo compressor that can shape transients in a way that does not sound sharp and unpleasant...there are some which are ok to do subtle compression - but for heavy compression and creating punch with some tone - it seems hardware is the only choice...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby mpodrug » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Have you ever tried Artsacoustic's CL Series? It does something great with transients. One of my all time favorite.

Now that we all are talking about algo compressors, a +1 to Sknote GTS 39, amazing on bass, and works for other stuffs as well.

I would also throw in IK Multimedia stuffs in, especially the 1176 and La2a. With Henry's mojo program the Fairchild 670 one is also my fav now.

My 2 cents.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sneaky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm

tried alex's fts bus comp?
sneaky

Postby biomuse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 pm

On the issue of which algorithmic comps to pair with Nebula comps in order to compensate for Nebula's difficulty with transients, I would say: none, because what you want is something that fills in Neb's weak point and then gets out of your way. That's not a comp but, instead, a limiter, saturator or transient designer set at high threshold/no knee. What you want to do is knock down transients with the algo to a reasonable degree so that they're within the dynamic spread you need for the track. Once that is done, I find you can do reasonable compression with Neb comps.

If you don't have any commercial plugs that fit that description (FGX is actually great for this because it lets you control the character of its multiband saturation very precisely), a good donationware pairing to try with Nebula is vladg's Limiter No 6:

http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

Try it before Neb with the compressor off, using a combination of just the limiter and saturators to get transient control.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby biomuse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Caveat: if you need to just flatten the crap out of a track, don't bother with Neb's compressors; go algo for that.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby lipa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 pm

awesome tips!.. thanks Biomuse! Just one more thing.. when pairing nebula with Henry's Mojo libraries one need to apply actual algo compression with these nebula presets.. not only transient control..
Also.. I was thinking how not to overcolor tracks using a compressor that already has transformer and tube stages simulation (I guess IK traks compressors have these stages simulated already) and stacking it with nebula colors..

Some of them have switches (molot can have saturation totally switched off), waves compressors have only "power supply" simulation switch (which adds noise and hum) but still the tube and transformers coloration stays..

So maybe it's better to pair it with totally clean compressor algorithms? rea comp (which very acts nice in 64x oversampling), free antress plugin set (i'm not sure if they are so clean)? any more suggestions? ;)
lipa

Postby biomuse » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:04 am

Yes, Henry's Mojo series is hi-res harmonic distortion from dynamics processors, but with no dynamics.

If you're restricted to clean donationware compressors, other than vladg's stuff (Molot, Limiter No 6) there's also Slim Slow Slider's C3 multiband compressor and MeldaProduction's MCompressor.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby lipa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 am

no Im not restricted financially so much.. rather I was looking for suggestion what algo compressors could offer nice compression characteristics, knees, curves and be responsive (have oversampling preferably) and NOT have simulation of tube, transformer input/output stages so we could use nebula for that and not make tracks overcolored ;)
lipa

Postby mathias » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:21 am

for transparent compression of the highest quality i still love my psp mastercomp. it has oversampling and not too many choices and does a really great job. i use it often together with nebula.
if you want a lot of options, curves, etc. i would go for dmg audios "compassion". it has all you can dream of a compressor could give you and some more ... :D

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:31 am

thanks for tips.. a lightning just struck me.. how could I forget about these excelent compressors: klanghelm DC8C and PSP Oldtimer - both with saturation off switch and dc8c having lots of different characters and oversampling (oldtimer has fixed oversampling in detector signal path as far as I remember).. 8-)
lipa

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries