Login

N**e 1073 EQ comparisons?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: N**e 1073 EQ comparisons?

Postby Barendse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 pm

richie43 wrote:Another great example of the subjectivity of audio..... If I am working in 44.1kHz, I still prefer the sound of the native 44.1 presets. I don't know why, but they sound better to me. Maybe it is all placebo, and because I like the quicker work-flow. But they always sound best to me when comparing.

+1

It's not placebo Richie.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 pm

I know the Nebula sounding awesome is not placebo, that's why I am such a Neb freak! I just meant that my comparisons between the different sample-rates of libraries almost always confirmed the exact opposite of what lipa is saying. I always end up using the library that has a matching sample rate to my project (when possible). Regarding the placebo effect, maybe the better work-flow is creating a better experience and that is affecting my perception of quality. Maybe I should try another round of comparisons and try to be more open minded..... Or maybe I should not spend any time testing and make some great music!! :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm

don't worry richie! Your probably right.. it's me who should be doing more comparissions.. I was only talking about my preferences which change with every month or new set of nebula libraries :) i noticed that srced 96 to 44 presets sound a little more veiled, more soft, maybe it's less true to the source but sometimes that's what i want.. i like any pinch of softness i can get in that lousy 44khz.. Besides lately I work in 48 as often as I can and 96khz presets really load faster :P
I can't wait to buy new good sounding interface (that goes to 192khz)..Last week I bought motu ultralite mk3.. and I shipped it back in less than 1 hour.. (my midas venice f32 converters - even though they currently work only in 44/48, totally smoked motu.. motu sounded like if I put a blanket over my monitors, no matter if it was 44 or 192.. and I hoped it would be cheap solution to my problem..ehh) sorry for another offtopic.. :roll:
lipa

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:58 am

timp wrote:Another thing is that the test tone sent out at 96khz has a different effect on the hardware its self

I never thought of this but that's very interesting.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 am

lipa wrote: i noticed that srced 96 to 44 presets sound a little more veiled, more soft, maybe it's less true to the source but sometimes that's what i want.. i like any pinch of softness i can get in that lousy 44khz..

I'm quite sure this is caused by the src. But to my ears there are more problems. The 192kHz programs I've heard so far do sound strange to me.

44.1 programs @ 44.1kHz & 96 programs @ 96kHz do sound best. It's no placebo Richie.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Ok , well even when I have used 192khz for recording , I found that I lose alot of punch and space compared to 96 or 88.2 but thats just what i get from listening.

justfound that white paper ,gonna give it a read.

http://www.lavryengineering.com/pdfs/la ... _audio.pdf

http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry- ... theory.pdf
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Barendse wrote:I'm quite sure this is caused by the src. But to my ears there are more problems. The 192kHz programs I've heard so far do sound strange to me.

44.1 programs @ 44.1kHz & 96 programs @ 96kHz do sound best. It's no placebo Richie.

Thanks for that Barendse. MAYBE I am not so crazy after all.... at least not in that particular way..... :roll:
Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, but I find myself working in 44.1 quite often still, and there are some libraries that I LOVE but are only in 96kHz.... I have also "noticed" (another possible placebo?) that there are a few particular devs that have 96 only libraries that I DON'T notice any quality loss using them in 44.1 or 48. I don't want to name names because it MAY be my tainted ears and due to different levels of personal contact with the devs themselves
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mdenzler10 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi,

Could someone please help me out? I recently purchased Nebula3 and the main reason why I bought it was because I had read so many positive reviews of the Velinas BAE 1073 EQ. Now that I'm ready to download it, it has completely disappeared from the web (downloads, torrents,links, etc.). I even tried to get it from Analog In The Box but it looks like their site is down indefinitely.

Does anybody have a copy, link or torrent that they'd be willing to share? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
mdenzler10
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby xabilon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi mdenzler10.

Take a look at the last message of the first page of this topic, there's a link from Henry Olonga to the library.
But to be honest, that library is very old, the AlexB N73 presets are far better (but not free, and they come from a vintage 1073)
xabilon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby dpclarkson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 pm

IMHO, I think that every N*ve library has a unique
sound to itself, like the hardware has.
For instance, I prefer AITB 1073 on overheads,
and AlexB's 1073 on close drum mics.
What's great also, are the differences of the hi-shelf filters
in each library, like AlexB 1073, 1081, or Cdsoundmaster's 1084.
None of them better than the other; each are well suited per application.
dpclarkson

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries