Login

Cooltec vs. Pooltec vs. Mammoth vs. DocFear

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cooltec vs. Pooltec vs. Mammoth vs. DocFear

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 am

cactuseskimo wrote:
TranscendingMusic wrote:I don't quite understand how one variation of "color" can be definitively better than another out of context.

Well, if 5 people say they like Mammoth better, and only 1 says they like Doc Fear, then there may indeed be a color that's generally more likable.

Generally more likable? Sure. But that's general, not definitive. I mean if 5 people (which is not much in truth) admit to preferring one EQ over another how do you qualify those opinions as one EQ being factually better than another? It's a matter of perspective. And if we were to actually poll many engineers - for nebula or analog - you will find opinions all over the board or more likely preferences of certain EQ's for certain situations.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 am

TBH one is colour the other is transparent, they both are used for diffrent thing in my opions.
Definity

Postby highvoltage » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:45 am

Lady gaga has 100+ million views. Does that define its artistic values? :lol:
highvoltage

Postby cactuseskimo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Okay, I get what you guys are saying and see the philosophical truth to it, but the real world truth is YES, there are certain eq's and such that are better than others. Sure you can tell me beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you don't see anyone nebulizing Behringer and Art eq's.

Anyway, you have somewhat of a point, but I don't see the harm in asking people's opinions as a starting point.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Barendse » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Pooltec for me.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Barendse wrote:Pooltec for me.

... and for me :)

though I like Doc Fear's hi peak band more than PoolTeQ's MF @10kHz/12kHz. :D :D
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 am

I had to chime in that in a particular project I am in the middle of, CDSM's Cooltec is THE s%#t! And I need to stress again that it is so cool to use, lets say, both Pooltec and Cooltec on different sides of the stereo spectrum on one instrument. It really broadens the tones. And believe it or not, I find myself using Cooltec most of all when I am needing a Pultec sound. I guess there is something for everyone and enough to make everyone happy! Thanks Nebula!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jelmet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Ok, I never heard the others, BUT the Mammoth is AWSOME!!!
The sweetest EQ I've heard.
BUT, it's sweet, not punchy... for pumch... go A*I or S*L Black, both from AlexB
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby faun2500 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:24 am

It might be slightly off topic and not very scientific but...

I just mastered a remix I have just finished and I tried 4 different eqs and rendered 4 different files to check.

Eq's were almost all the same settings (eq permitting) with about 2db gain for bass (100hz) and about 2db gain for treble (about 10khz). The mix is pretty tight so this is just a bit of sweetening.

The eqs were:
GMC (with console inputs/outputs).
Mammoth.
Doc Fear.
and for good measure UAD Precision EQ.

For this track the mammoth left it wide open and bright, and dynamic and all others were a bit dull/boomy.

The UAD came in second I think.

Not a scientific test as I say but a real mastering situation that left me appreciating the mammoth today!

I did use doc fear, MLEQ, Neve1073, mammoth, APE in the mix a lot so they all got used.

Question: Is the DOC fear similar to a pultech?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:10 am

faun2500 wrote:Question: Is the DOC fear similar to a pultech?

That is my understanding.

And off topic to your slightly off topic (lol), I have done an almost identical mastering experiment with the same eq's (except the UAD) and find the GMC eq to be awesome.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries