Login

"BXQ Baxandall Equalizer" - CDSoundMaster !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: "BXQ Baxandall Equalizer" - CDSoundMaster !!!

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:17 am

Hi RJ,

Thank you for sharing your input.
To start with the BXQ questions:
This program library includes all frequency positions that are available from the original hardware from which it is inspired:
Highs: 10kHz, 15kHz.
Lows: 50Hz, 100Hz.

These are available in NebPro as all four frequencies on one control with gain on a second control, with low and high independent programs, clean versions with no harmonics, and also as combined boost/cut in 4 modes of wideness, so you get more flexibility and ease of control. In addition, I created a mid range equalizer based on the same frequency curves and a mastering version with extremely flat response.

I'll do my best to address your other issue. It gets a little off topic but I want to make sure you feel comfortable with the different variables that are going on regarding metering.

Gain structuring:
You can not go based on what the input/output level meters say in Nebula. If you go by actual volume, you will find that all of my programs, from tape to preamp to eq, are centered around 0dB. So, if you send a -6dB average in, you will get the same out, minus the small analog changes that take place at a near-zero setting, and this will increase if boosting a signal or eq, and will decrease if lowering a signal.

But, if you try to base your levels by the input meter you will get confused. I edit the programs to be accurate to their analog equivalent, and in order to do so, it often means getting the best level by lowering the input within the program and raising the output by the same amount. The end result will be 0dB within +/- .5dB. This accounts for accurate harmonic content and preventing any input buffer overload. If you watch your channel meters and/or group meters and main outs, you will find that everything stays pretty consistent.

When there has been discussion about the different ways that developers may handle gain staging, this is not regarding the level meters visualization, but rather whether recommended file levels are based on peak or rms. The short answer is that is more up to how you decide to use devices in your chain and how you set up your mixes and less about how to set up Nebula. If you work at a generally low volume, and your files are low themselves, and as many now do, often this means normalizing to set actual files to -18dB average, then with the analog equivalent, one should assume that they are also hitting the analog gear at a similarly low level. It is fine to do this, as it creates a correlation from 0dB digital being the loudest and never reaching this point by pretending it relates to an analog equivalent. If you are doing this and you also want to drive your harmonics harder, you can adjust this easily by increasing the drive and saving the setting, or better, increase the input of the program that is too low in harmonics and lower the output of that program by the same amount.

All programs of mine that are created to a peak of 0dB are completely compatible with using a low level rms as reference, and the analog response will react accordingly- meaning that it will have a cleaner result. If using analog to add gain and harmonic coloration, you would do what you would in analog as well, which is slightly drive the signal harder, and you end up with the same output level as you started if needed, you simply reduce the output to compensate. In NebPro, the input reacts like analog, and the output adjusts in digital. But, in all examples, the setting for overall volume is measured to balance 0dB in all cases.

Summary- use the levels you are comfortable with in your work and ignore the input meters in NebPro and go by any volume meter on channel, group, or mains.

RJHollins wrote:OK ... have had only a bit of time test driving the BXQ equalizer.

This is a nice sounding eq. From minimal to heavy settings, it is quite transparent ... which is of particular need in the mastering arena. A nice 'complimentary' eq to call on.

With its broad 'curves', the ability to smoothly alter the spectrum with minimal coloration is similar in nature to one of the Pultec library, allowing a type of 'Tilt' operation.

Two issues that I've yet to fully handle ...

1. Gain Structuring.

I typically drive inputs into Nebula with a source track that PEAKS at -6dB [FS], which can place RMS levels anywhere from -20 to -16 dB [RMS]. My Nebula INPUT meter ends up being VERY low ... sometimes NO LED's lite ! :?

I should mention that there DOES seem to be a discrepancy between various 3rd party developers that I have not been able to pin down. I know discussions about this have come up in the past, but at that time I was not in a 'controlled environment' and I would ignore Neb meters in favor of something like FreeG. But really, it would seem that a Universal metering scale would be something agreed upon. Lets' talk about this!
So, due to the 'broadness' of the eq curves, gain staging is still critical to be mindful of, especially since the nature of this EQ can move broad areas of the spectrum. Just a reminder point.

The other issue ...

This goes more to the included presets, and NOT being sure what exact model was used [could be dangerous to assume] ;) but if I did so, it seems that many of the shelving EQ freq points are not in this library ?!? :o or I have completely missed them during my brief test flight :?

I'm curious ... did I ?!?! if not ... did the original unit NOT have these points ??

Enough speculation ... wait for response!

Many more comments later afterward :P
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Michael,

Always a pleasure to hear from you ... equally for the fine work of your library creations!

I see that there are several 'flavors' of the Baxandall design, in particular, a rather famous one by the undercover agent 'Nick' [hope that was subtle enough] :lol: That particular had several hi&low pass filters. To that ... maybe this would then go out as a future equipment request 8-)

2. Ah ... the Neb meters. :o

I understand, and now better remember, that discussion from way back. I must say, that it still catches me from time to time as I tend to use a mixture of libs from several Dev's, and although I've gone the 'straddle Neb with FreeG' route ... it does add 2 additional plugs in the chain [usually many more]. NOT singling out any one Dev ... yet the same issue faces the user. In general terms, I would normally expect that if I send a -18dB [RMS] source into NEB, that I naturally would expect to see that in the NEB meters [using AES17]. Well ... without bothering much with that area [although important] it side tracks this topic ... which I don't/ didn't want to do :oops:

The absolute important thing is knowing that I'm driving levels appropriately 8-)

Thanks for clearing on the specifics of filter freq of original piece ... I'm looking forward to advancing my skills using this !!

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Check out the preamp

Postby Henry Olonga » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm

The preamp in this thing is just gorgeous guys. Warm and full, worth the price of entry alone. Michael - again great job. :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby faxesystem » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Although the Dangerous Bax would be a monster, I'm more than happy with this XtremeQualityProgram right out of Michaels lunchbox... ;)
faxesystem
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Barendse » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm

RJHollins wrote: I would normally expect that if I send a -18dB [RMS] source into NEB, that I naturally would expect to see that in the NEB meters [using AES17].

I agree. I checked levels using other meters, Nebula AES17 metering works quite accurate if you ask me.

Can Gdrive applied to this eq?
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Barendse wrote:Can Gdrive applied to this eq?

Save you n2v files and try it! I will in a few minutes and let you know.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm

richie43 wrote:
Barendse wrote:Can Gdrive applied to this eq?

Save you n2v files and try it! I will in a few minutes and let you know.

i would say, save your n2p-files.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm

So far, the answer is yes. I just applied the patch and loaded each preset one by one, and they all load fine and have the GDRIVE function. I haven't actually tested them with any audio, so there is always a tiny possibility that the patch didn't work. But I have never had a preset malfunction if the patch didn't fail completely.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 pm

mathias wrote:i would say, save your n2p-files.

mathias

ABSOLUTELY!!! My typo, SAVE YOUR N2P FILES!!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Just to say I just bought this and....

WOW!

Exactly what I was looking for. Perfect for the mast bus - really opens it up and in such an 'analogue' way.

Stupidly good...that you get this sound in a plugin.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries