Login

update:ShootoutOTB vs Nebula Waves UAD Slate Stripbus Satson

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Blind shootout OTB vs ITB (nebula, and other plugs)

Postby mpodrug » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

PM'd
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ericzang » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:53 pm

I should say that I was listening on ATH-M50 headphones. I looped a short section in the first part of the song before it gets loud.

Several of my "unpreferred" choices were based on the frequency balance being changed (such as getting a bit muddy). Some of the other mixes seemed to me to have some kind of slight distortion or lack of openness.

The ones I liked to me seemed to subtly fill out the sound and/or give a slight sense of smoothness.

Thank you mpodrug for the PM with the answers! It was interesting and I was surprised (and also not surprised)!
ericzang
User Level III
User Level III

Postby lipa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:09 pm

did a quick listen and I'm sure that number 10 is hardware 8-)
The rest sounds more or less the same..just like all tracks summed itb, only with slightly different tone. number 10 has noticeably less highs but also bigger soundstage, there is more space "between" instruments. It sounds the most 3D, effortless and natural, also has very nice (nevish) tone.
So.. it was mixed on which N**e console? You mentioned 1073.. but it's not a console..just a channel..

After number 10 I also like numbers 9 (even bigger soundstage - sounds like S*L - so maybe Alex B CLC?), 6.. 7 is nice too.. ..too many options hehe :D

numbers 1 and 8 have (relatively) lots of noise, hiss.. it might be due to extra tape instances.. or it might be "famous" waves 50/60hz power noise simulation.. :mrgreen: who knows..

overall, the song, recording and mix are all very nice, congratulations! and thanks for taking time to render it all and share with us! :P
lipa

Postby futur2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 pm

no idea what is what listening on focal twins. i liked 1, 9, 6 and 7 (quite similar). i'm pretty sure most of the differences i heard were due to a difference in levels, of course #1 stood out as beeing much louder than the rest in the silent parts. yeah differences in the bass and the highs here and there, but all in all the differences are not huge (probably some little bits of master eq would make more difference than any of that).
futur2

Postby mpodrug » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 pm

I PM'd you both as well.

But please don't spoil the results till i reveal it. If i do, then we can discuss.

About the levels, i received the mixes from some other Gearslutz users, then level matched them on the loudest parts by eyes and ears. The quiet parts are obviously all pretty different.
So if you think they're not matched properly it's easy to load them all in your DAW and match them yourself to avoid yourself being fooled by the gain.

And the 1073, i honestly can't remember if the guy who made it said if it's the console or just the channel, he just labeled it that way. But you're right it has to be the channel.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Re: update:ShootoutOTB vs Nebula Waves UAD Slate Stripbus Satson

Postby mpodrug » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 am

Okay this is getting even more interesting,
i just got some new mixes with these OTB and Hybrid chains:
(well, of course not in this order)

1. OTB S*L X-Desk only
2. X-Desk + Kramer KMT (15ips, over biased)
3. X-Desk + UAD Ampex ATR 102 (456, 15ips, +3)

But it also get tougher to make decisions now.
For those who already downloaded the 11 files, just download the last 3.

Cmon guys, join the game and post your votes!
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Re: update:ShootoutOTB vs Nebula Waves UAD Slate Stripbus Satson

Postby mpodrug » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Huääää.. nobody wants to play with me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcOaB6AhOw

Maybe there are too many options?
Alrighty then, here's the resolution.

1. Nebula CLC
2. Waves NLS Spike
3. Slate VCC 4K + VTM
4. Stripbus
5. Slate VTM
6. Nebula CLC+R2R+Tapebooster
7. Slate VCC 4K
8. OTB N**e 1073
9. Nebula The Globe+NAG Tape+Tapebooster
10.Satson
11.Hybrid X-Desk + Kramer KMT (15ips, over biased)
12.Hybrid X-Desk + UAD Ampex ATR 102 (456, 15ips, +3)
13.OTB S*L X-Desk only

So far, after looking at the few posts, and PMs i received here and in gears...z, Stripbus, Satson and the Nebula Chains are the general favorites, followed then by the 1073, Slate, and so on. That's quite surprising, as those are actually the cheapest alternatives out of the list.
Only one prefered the 1073 the most, me too for a short time, but he was also who made that mixdown, so he might be biased.

The last 3 came bit later, i like them also very much, with 12 being the best according to my taste, but i'd still take one of these though: 4,9,10, with 9 as my absolute favorite, due to its huge soundstage and vibe.
BTW, 9 is the only mixdown i've made. I could spot it out of them all as i blindly hear them. But i might also be biased to that sound.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Re: update:ShootoutOTB vs Nebula Waves UAD Slate Stripbus Sa

Postby jelmet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 am

Can I have access to the files? :D
Please?
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: update:ShootoutOTB vs Nebula Waves UAD Slate Stripbus Sa

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi! Same here, is it possible to have the links? I sent a pm some days ago, but you are probably busy. Cheers!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries