I am such a geek.... this actually sounds like a fun test.... sigh :roll:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- YouRei HP/LP filters

Postby piperboy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Awesome job Tim. These filters are sweet!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby david1103 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Cupwise wrote:i'm sampling the notch filters from the unit already and it will take a while.

i am currently mastering a track that is causing me a lot of trouble. there is an electronic high hat that has a huge 10dB resonant spike at 14k playing through the entire song.

my most natural sounding attempt to get this spike down has been with your YouRei LP at 14k/1 clean kernel which doesn't cut TOO much into the track's high frequencies BUT is not ideal as it only cuts the spike down by 5dB or so. i boost the general highs back with a touch of alexb pultec.

using a normal regular VST eq (LP10) on notch or peak does the job, but is just not as good and natural sounding as nebula! arrgghh...

i need an amazing nebula notch/peak cut filter that can be dialed to exactly 14.4k with a very tight Q... how is the sampling of the YouRei notch filters going? :D

- what frequencies will be possible?
- and Q's, and how about depth of the notch?

cheers!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

oh man, what a question.
i hope to have the whole range, with both peak and notch all in the same program. it will be huge. unfortunately i will be impossible for it to have dynamics, but i'll release 'pass-through' programs of the unit without filtering, that will include full dynamics and harmonics, which is the norm for nebula eq type stuff. the filters can go from REALLY low (maybe around 20hz) to REALLY high (maybe up to 30khz), so basically the whole range. the q settings for the notch are tighter than those for the peaks, and the notches are very steep. i've never personally seen notches this steep even in software, but i'm sure something probably exists (maybe christian buddes rubberfilter but i'm not sure how it compares). i just checked and it seems that they go down around -30db, but i think it kind of changes a little depending on where the filter is at. i think there's also a little bit of 'randomness' in the depth, like if you turn the knob a little, the depth can change several db, but it's always probably at least -30.

i think it would work well for your project, but i have some special ideas for it that will take extra time, and the sampling IS kind of crazy, and there are logistical issues that will need dealt with because going over 1,000 samples in a nebula program is fairly uncharted territory. things come up.

Estimated Time of Arrival, i hate to try to guess, but maybe 2weeks soonest.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:38 am

Cupwise wrote:oh man, what a question.
i hope to have the whole range, with both peak and notch all in the same program. it will be huge. unfortunately i will be impossible for it to have dynamics, but i'll release 'pass-through' programs of the unit without filtering, that will include full dynamics and harmonics, which is the norm for nebula eq type stuff. the filters can go from REALLY low (maybe around 20hz) to REALLY high (maybe up to 30khz), so basically the whole range. the q settings for the notch are tighter than those for the peaks, and the notches are very steep. i've never personally seen notches this steep even in software, but i'm sure something probably exists (maybe christian buddes rubberfilter but i'm not sure how it compares). i just checked and it seems that they go down around -30db, but i think it kind of changes a little depending on where the filter is at. i think there's also a little bit of 'randomness' in the depth, like if you turn the knob a little, the depth can change several db, but it's always probably at least -30.

i think it would work well for your project, but i have some special ideas for it that will take extra time, and the sampling IS kind of crazy, and there are logistical issues that will need dealt with because going over 1,000 samples in a nebula program is fairly uncharted territory. things come up.

Estimated Time of Arrival, i hate to try to guess, but maybe 2weeks soonest.

Sweet! These are great filters if I haven't posted in this thread already to say so. They've been getting a lot of use around here.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries