console/tape order...

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: console/tape order...

Postby Mplay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:A typical path is:

Mic/line->Console->Tape->Console->DAW->Console

so, for example, you could easily end up with something like:

PCS A512 (preamp, not necessary, depends on several factors)
MLC IL1 (console input)
Rev-15-499-0 (tape)
TapeBoost 96 Lo1 (a little bit of saturation)
VTM-M2 (more saturation/tape compression, if needed)
MLC SRN (send/return)

I've tried this after you described the same some time ago. The console effect definitely becomes more prominent if you use more instances.
Mplay

Postby faun2500 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 pm

ngarjuna wrote:tape is the last thing that your signal would hit in a tape-based recording situation so,

When I read an article about how the band KEANE recorded one of there albums I remember the engineer recorded the drums (for example) straight to tape.

Then from the tape they were took to a different studio and mixed on an S*L desk. They probably EQ'ed the drums when they mixed it.

So this chain would seem to be - drums> Tape> Console/EQ.

I guess the answer is that there are many ways to skin a cat. :)

A question that I would have is do you use the console before or after the EQ? Using filters would filter the sub frequencies that a console can add.

E.G, Alex B's MLC adds sub bass to your sound. If i use a hi pass filter from the MLEQ (as I often do) those sub freq's would be filtered out. Or, do you EQ before and have that console after the EQ?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby surbitone » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm

If you were tracking it in one studio and mixing in another, you might emulate that by something like:

VBC PRE
or
VBC IL
73eq (or anything you would want to use as an insert/s)
(you could add a buss here, maybe a compressor, eq - like if you were summing kick mics, guitar cabs etc etc to a single channel before hitting tape)
R2R
TB+(however many are needed)
VTM
MBC IL
(maybe a compressor or 'outboard' eq insert)
VBQ
bypass master 1+2 on all channels, and instead send to one (or more) busses, they are then routed to master outs 1+2, with the matster buss of the console inserted, possibly followed by an eq /compressor going to Nagra or something. Alternatively, you could compress / eq the buss groups, and mix into them. You can setup reverb sends with an SNR program before sending via 'insert' straight to a stereo buss, bypasssing the channels, to save room on the mixer ;)
surbitone
User Level V
User Level V

Postby vicnestE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 pm

surbitone wrote:If you were tracking it in one studio and mixing in another, you might emulate that by something like:

VBC PRE
or
VBC IL
73eq (or anything you would want to use as an insert/s)
(you could add a buss here, maybe a compressor, eq - like if you were summing kick mics, guitar cabs etc etc to a single channel before hitting tape)
R2R
TB+(however many are needed)
VTM
MBC IL
(maybe a compressor or 'outboard' eq insert)
VBQ
bypass master 1+2 on all channels, and instead send to one (or more) busses, they are then routed to master outs 1+2, with the matster buss of the console inserted, possibly followed by an eq /compressor going to Nagra or something. Alternatively, you could compress / eq the buss groups, and mix into them. You can setup reverb sends with an SNR program before sending via 'insert' straight to a stereo buss, bypasssing the channels, to save room on the mixer ;)

You can trim master bus input in reaper by lower the envelope of Volume (Pre-FX). Or use nebula's input.
It's much quicker this way than messing around with more sends.

I tend to grounp all FX channels and put a tape or/and console SNR on that group. Not accurate but could save some resource and the sound is not bad.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby MegaDude » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm

just curious where you would put any tube programs in the sequence, e.g., from cdsoundmaster's tube library. are there any good rules of thumb for mixing tubes and tape?
MegaDude
User Level II
User Level II

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:13 pm

As always, there are many "right"ways to do it. just think about is as hardware. For the CDSM tube library, I sometimes use one first in a chain, like running into a nice transparent tube piece first before a console. Sometimes before or after an eq, like hardware. But I almost always put tape last, so if I want a tube last in the chain, it's last except for the tube. In the analog world, you are usually printing to tape last. Except of course if you are taking a mix-down stereo mix back into a console for further processing, such as mastering. Then you may run it through another tube after the mix-down tape. Short answer, try tube before tape or before everything. But long answer, try a bunch of different options and let your ears tell you what you like. That's the cool thing about Nebula, you can try to fully emulate an analog signal path, or you can hybridize and wind up with great sounds that could NEVER be done with the analog counterparts. Awesome.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries