Login

Questions About AlexB PCS presets NULL testing.

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Questions About AlexB PCS presets NULL testing.

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 am

I've read the whole thread and I think most people have mentioned and/or given advice for all possible solutions to this problem so, I'm afraid I have to say there's no problem at all but just wrong expectations about this library and what a preamp is supposed to sound like at nominal levels. I can hear what these programs do, very clearly (and I don't have golden ears or some super listening powers). Please try to focus on the harmonic balance of the signal after loading each program.

If you can't clearly hear what the PCS FatZu Flat, PCS THD5 or PCS TeleV72 (to name a few) do, then you should just go for programs with a more dramatic response.

If I'm mixing a project with Nebula, rest assured there are a couple of PCS programs here and there :)

NOTE: Null tests with Nebula are pointless... Nebula doesn't null, just like HW ;)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:I've read the whole thread and I think most people have mentioned and/or given advice for all possible solutions to this problem so, I'm afraid I have to say there's no problem at all but just wrong expectations about this library and what a preamp is supposed to sound like at nominal levels. I can hear what these programs do, very clearly (and I don't have golden ears or some super listening powers). Please try to focus on the harmonic balance of the signal after loading each program.

If you can't clearly hear what the PCS FatZu Flat, PCS THD5 or PCS TeleV72 (to name a few) do, then you should just go for programs with a more dramatic response.

If I'm mixing a project with Nebula, rest assured there are a couple of PCS programs here and there :)

NOTE: Null tests with Nebula are pointless... Nebula doesn't null, just like HW ;)

Thank you Mercado!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:20 pm

@mercado: nebula nulls on static programs, even when harmonic distortion is engaged...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 am

giancarlo wrote:@mercado: nebula nulls on static programs, even when harmonic distortion is engaged...

Static programs? What's that?
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:36 am

for example an eq... sometimes... ask to the library developer...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:47 am

It would've been much better if you'd replied with an explanation to "what's a static program". You know, we, old users, need to understand stuff to help others, eventually.

Thanks anyways.
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 am

a static program is a program which is not dynamic... for example there is a single set of kernels running at a particular time if you don't move sliders. You can't forecast if a program is static or not even using a null testing.... many dynamic programs could null, it depends on the noisefloor... only the library developer knows if he used a dynamic template or nor. For example most eq are static, because they implement already many variables, but for example cdsoundmaster implemented dynamic eq too. I can't be more accurate, nebula can do everything or nothing, it's a matter of sampling session, templates...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 am

and no, nebula doesn't know if a program is static or not... even the cache engine is based on forecasts... if things don't change then it caches... it means a particular program could null... an other one not... you can't predict it and it doesn't mean anything; even a dynamic program could behave as a static program sometimes, ok?null tests = garbage
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 am

Thank you very much. That was really helpful. It's not about the whole "null tests" dilemma, I just wanted to know more about Nebula and its programs and you've helped me here, really appreciated.
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby audioanal » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 am

after reading this thread I decided to do my own test, because yes, the differences in just 1 track is very subtle when using preamp emulations.

So I inserted 6 Nebula line amps in each bus (drums, bass, electric g, acoustic g, solos g and master).
Then I rendered one wav (32 bits floating) with the console inserts and other wav completely raw. No other plugins at all, no process, no eq or comp or reverb. Raw tracks in both rendered files.

They don't null at all. The diference is BIG.

And take a look at the transients.
The down file is the one with console emulations, the up file is the raw one.
Very very different.

So console emulation makes a difference: the transients are a little compressed and the sound is more glued, crunchy and open (at least to my ears), the separation beetween instruments is more noticeable.
This works for me. I love the sound when using this libraries.
Cheers
audioanal
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries