Login

Don't miss the Panner!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby vicnestE » Tue May 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Definity wrote:I would like to actualy know............ What is the difference between DAW panning and these analog panners? is it also sampling THD or is there something diffrent going on?

I would love to know this too, it seems the phase might be different. Not sure.
User avatar
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby Definity » Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 pm

himhui wrote:I would love to know this too, it seems the phase might be different. Not sure.



experiment time!
Definity
Member
Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby Definity » Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 pm

ok did phase, that didnt do much, but since the Alex b panner has -3Db pan law i decided to try setting up a L and R channel and assign the volume to a x-y controller where it dips -3 for right and left and i started playing with it and it does sound pretty similar
Definity
Member
Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:54 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby vicnestE » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Definity wrote:ok did phase, that didnt do much, but since the Alex b panner has -3Db pan law i decided to try setting up a L and R channel and assign the volume to a x-y controller where it dips -3 for right and left and i started playing with it and it does sound pretty similar

Some console program is not so prominent with only 1 render but the summing outcome is surely different.

Maybe need some more tracks to test?
User avatar
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 am

vicnestE wrote:
Definity wrote:I would like to actualy know............ What is the difference between DAW panning and these analog panners? is it also sampling THD or is there something diffrent going on?

I would love to know this too, it seems the phase might be different. Not sure.


Subjectively, I couldn't say 100% that Analog panning is always better than ITB. However, one can offer the nuts and bolts of what's going on. Always remember that the sense of width in panning often stems from short delay or distortion(s). Having said that, pretty much all of us know that with analog you get phase, distortion; in a word, non-linearity that may lend itself to sounding better. Commonly misunderstood, digital in whatever respects, be it summing, panning, etc., is in a "technical" sense actually perfect. But do our ears care about the aesthetics of sound or the technicalities? Usually the ear is concerned with the "quale"; the aesthetics of the sound. In other words how a sound sounds! Further, in analog setup, one has several upon several pan pots that are panning sounds/tracks. No one channel is identical, each with slightly different responses.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
User avatar
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 am
Location: USA

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby pat38 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 am

argh... broken (download) links at

http://www.transcendingmusicstudios.com/nebula.html

could this be fixed ?

thks !
pat38
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 am

pat38 wrote:argh... broken (download) links at

http://www.transcendingmusicstudios.com/nebula.html

could this be fixed ?

thks !


Hi, what exactly did you find broken? I double checked all the links and they are all good.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
User avatar
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 am
Location: USA

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby KingDiamond » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 am

Does setting the pan law in the DAW software really matter? I mean if you set it on CENTER then it's going to be in the middle no matter what. So I think you just set all channels to the center position and then add the MBC Panner as the last effect on each track and then pan using the MBC panner. I tried it and I don't think I noticed a difference between Cubase 5 built-in panning and the Nebula panning.
KingDiamond
User Level I
User Level I
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby pat38 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi, what exactly did you find broken? I double checked all the links and they are all good.


works ok now thks !
pat38
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests