Login

Don't miss the Panner!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Don't miss the Panner!

Postby Fishmac » Sat May 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Everyone!

first of all - i didn't want to use it! when nebula went the console-emulation road i took the trip, even if i sometimes wondered "what am i doing here?", processing all my recorded tracks with input channels, putting return busses on my daw-fx-buss before mixdown. nobody i know personally is using nebula and everybody was always asking "what the hell is this? does it really make a difference?"
but i saw the quality increase and so i changed my whole mixing style and use MBC and R2R on every mix i do.
then the pap came along and now, with the alex b pro-upgrade the mbc panner. i decided to stop there - come on guys, you already ruined my workflow, PANNING?? isn't there something i should let my daw do at least?
so i ignored the programs... until i got a couple of rock tracks to mix, well recorded, good stuff. i did what i could but my first mixdowns just couldn't compete with the big boys in terms of space and impact. i really used top notch itb-stuff - softube, soundtoys (decapitator, echoboy) and - of course, nebula (mbc pro, bmq, mammoth...).
after being frustrated for two days i gave the mbc panner a shot.
i'm using ableton live, where it's possible to create a "audio fx rack" with the panner to access it really quickly. i used the normal nebula3 version, because i needed the panner on all tracks and didn't want the already big latency to increase a lot. i put the panner on every track as the last fx in the chain. i set all my internal tracks to center and panned everything with it.

...wow...

this is it. to me this was the missing link. i don't know, maybe ableton's panning sucks (you can't set any pan laws there), but this was the key.
i'm serious, i will not be able to mix without this anymore. the great thing is - the program is very light on ram and cpu.

if you - like me in the past - have skipped the alex b panner, do yourself a favor and give it a try!

thank you, alex, for this tool!
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Don't miss the Panner!

Postby MOjO_FET » Sun May 16, 2010 1:31 am

Too bad it's only available with MBC! I'd love to have it, or try it even though I sum OTB. This panner seems interesting.

Michael
MOjO_FET
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Definity » Sun May 16, 2010 2:06 am

I would like to actualy know............ What is the difference between DAW panning and these analog panners? is it also sampling THD or is there something diffrent going on?
Definity

Postby Yllet » Sun May 16, 2010 11:19 am

I´ve never used the panner, but i might as well try :)... Do I need to load one panner for each channel?!

I use cubase 5, can someone explain how to use it properly?

1. Create a fx channel with the panner.
2. Insert the fx channel on each track...
3. Then what?

One fx channel means ONE pan only right? Do i need to make a new fx channel for every track?

I use -3 db as panlaw, to i need to set this to 0 when using the panner?

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Fishmac » Sun May 16, 2010 12:08 pm

in the console programs (all new "pro" releases are about to have the panner if i remember correctly) the panner is sampled from the console.

yes, you would have to use one on every channel as the last fx in the chain.
since the pan law is -3 i guess you would have to set the daw pan law at 0.
i wonder if the differences are also that big if your daws panning can be set to -3... try it!
in my case all the elements came to life after inserting it. it's not easy to describe, but it was like everything was placed in a flat line before and afterwards things also moved slightly back and forth, as if this line got curved.
to me this effect was very pleasant sounding and a great way to get things together (after all, panning is one of the most fundamental mixing tasks) and very obvious.
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Veet » Sun May 16, 2010 7:37 pm

-What is the science behind this? -
In Cubase you can also chose different pannning laws. SO, besides the subtle coloration there must be some other reason for it to sound so different,no? -
-Does it improve on mono as well as stereo sources?
Veet
User Level II
User Level II

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun May 16, 2010 7:59 pm

While you guys are at comparisons, try my free MsSmith preset as a panner and see what you hear. Without using the width control, you can use it just as a "normal" panner.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby farjedi » Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Cheers, downloading and trying that out..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Fabio Ramon » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 pm

but also the pan and placed in the Bus and MasterBus? :geek:
Fabio Ramon
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby himhui » Tue May 25, 2010 4:57 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:While you guys are at comparisons, try my free MsSmith preset as a panner and see what you hear. Without using the width control, you can use it just as a "normal" panner.

I haven't try the panner but the width is excellent!!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries