Login

CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby Raynorshyn » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 am

I heard it. Thank you Michael.
After repeated listens even the subtlety went away between the first three.

I would be interested to know which Nebula program you used for the example.
Would the artifacts be different with a different emulation? Say input program versus tape. I assume so.

I know this ground has been covered before. I am still trying to get a grasp.

From what I understand so far one must listen to each instance of Neb while adjusting the drive and input, until you find a sweet spot. Add another instance and repeat.
So that, by the time I have added Input, Pan, Tape and Tape boost I am listening for perhaps the maximum effect of each emulation, be it added punch or width (or hi freq roll off) that I can hear. And then make the call weather those adjustments add to the song as a whole?
Does that sound correct?

I'm not trying to be silly, but sometimes I wonder weather just an MTP-TFK is enough or if all the added harmonic, glueing benefit is what I should shoot for.
Ex: MTP, GLD, Pan, OTR, Boost, a touch of GEQ, a little W2B, and GLM.

I know it's ultimately up to me.
Thanks.




CDSoundMaster wrote:Hi there,
Sure!

This is just a quick example and you should listen with good monitors to hear the ringing mentioned. It is similar to the sound of taking a phaser effect and stopping its position in the 4kHz-ish range.
http://monumentalaudio.com/Dry-Good-2Much-Way2Much.mp3

First-dry, then one Neb instance for a nice saturation effect, then a little too much drive effect, then far too much drive effect. Hope this helps.

Raynorshyn wrote:Michael,

Would you consider posting a couple of files comparing a "proper" sounding chain versus one that has the "ringing sound, extended overemphasized bass response, or harsh booomph attack" that you describe?

My song projects are for fun rather than income, and I have a backlog I am enjoying learning Nebula on. But I have never sat behind a console, so I am at a disadvantage regarding what to listen for.

With individual tracks I have tried both; listening as each new insert is added, then rendering; and just sending a chain thru the renderer set at -18db and default drive settings in Nebula. Both seem to yield different but pleasing results.

Hope I am not hijacking :oops:
Raynorshyn
User Level III
User Level III
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 am

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 am

You are understanding things correctly.
I used the TapeBooster+ program for this example. Yes, the side effect is unique to the program. In this case it is the 'ringing' type effect, but it should always be fairly obvious if something doesn't sound right.

My preference when making a long chain is to tweak levels until the sweet spot for the maximum file volume, and then reduce dive slightly from there. This reduces the build-up between programs in the chain. I would use things like panner and additional sweetening items in the chain only when desired. It is never a requirement, but more about settings sounds against each other.

I will probably write some longer articles about nice mixing and matching but it will take some time to get back to writing and new youtube vids.

Think of it in terms of the analog gear for best results.

If you are in an all analog studio and have a rack of goodies and a console, traditionally you need each device for its sonic processing purpose and want things as clean as possible. Once we got digital and could have clean everything, we realized how much the analog was needed for the glue and personality in the sound. The most subtle should normally be the console (although there will be some very, very colored early consoles/mixers in the future).
The outboard can be where you make much more non-linear choices based upon the specific track. This can be anything from tape to group effects to adding individual hardware from preamp Neb collection library to simulate loading devices from the patch bay. Be unique and experiment. Also, if you have traditional plug-ins that you use like Waves or URS or anything else, placing Neb character ahead of them does wonders to add dynamic change and spectrum and harmonic character.

Raynorshyn wrote:I heard it. Thank you Michael.
After repeated listens even the subtlety went away between the first three.

I would be interested to know which Nebula program you used for the example.
Would the artifacts be different with a different emulation? Say input program versus tape. I assume so.

I know this ground has been covered before. I am still trying to get a grasp.

From what I understand so far one must listen to each instance of Neb while adjusting the drive and input, until you find a sweet spot. Add another instance and repeat.
So that, by the time I have added Input, Pan, Tape and Tape boost I am listening for perhaps the maximum effect of each emulation, be it added punch or width (or hi freq roll off) that I can hear. And then make the call weather those adjustments add to the song as a whole?
Does that sound correct?

I'm not trying to be silly, but sometimes I wonder weather just an MTP-TFK is enough or if all the added harmonic, glueing benefit is what I should shoot for.
Ex: MTP, GLD, Pan, OTR, Boost, a touch of GEQ, a little W2B, and GLM.

I know it's ultimately up to me.
Thanks.




CDSoundMaster wrote:Hi there,
Sure!

This is just a quick example and you should listen with good monitors to hear the ringing mentioned. It is similar to the sound of taking a phaser effect and stopping its position in the 4kHz-ish range.
http://monumentalaudio.com/Dry-Good-2Much-Way2Much.mp3

First-dry, then one Neb instance for a nice saturation effect, then a little too much drive effect, then far too much drive effect. Hope this helps.

Raynorshyn wrote:Michael,

Would you consider posting a couple of files comparing a "proper" sounding chain versus one that has the "ringing sound, extended overemphasized bass response, or harsh booomph attack" that you describe?

My song projects are for fun rather than income, and I have a backlog I am enjoying learning Nebula on. But I have never sat behind a console, so I am at a disadvantage regarding what to listen for.

With individual tracks I have tried both; listening as each new insert is added, then rendering; and just sending a chain thru the renderer set at -18db and default drive settings in Nebula. Both seem to yield different but pleasing results.

Hope I am not hijacking :oops:
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 am

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 am

The new console is now available! :D
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 am

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 am

hmmm ... have all the 'previous customer specials' gone out already?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 am

If you have not received your special Previous Customer Discount email, please email me and I will be happy to send it to you.


RJHollins wrote:hmmm ... have all the 'previous customer specials' gone out already?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 am

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 am

Although I could not find my 'Previous customer'
special discount link :( I did go ahead and ordered it.

I hadn't been behind a T*****t board since sometime back in the late '70s ... so, feeling for a bit of past time-travel, I thought I'd go for the flashback.

I did get to pass a few audio trks through just to get an impression, but I don't want to rush to any conclusions until I get the set-up correct.

My question ... since I don't see a 'panner' included with the console, does anyone know or recall what the 'pan-law' was for this particular console?

Thanks for any assistance!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am

According to some random guy on the internet, it is -3. There's a thread on Gearslutz about how if you engage the panner on the B series it drops the center by about 3dB.
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi RJ,
There are several customer emails that for whatever reason are not arriving at their destination.
If you ever need a discount please just email and we'll get it to you asap.

RJHollins wrote:Although I could not find my 'Previous customer'
special discount link :( I did go ahead and ordered it.

I hadn't been behind a T*****t board since sometime back in the late '70s ... so, feeling for a bit of past time-travel, I thought I'd go for the flashback.

I did get to pass a few audio trks through just to get an impression, but I don't want to rush to any conclusions until I get the set-up correct.

My question ... since I don't see a 'panner' included with the console, does anyone know or recall what the 'pan-law' was for this particular console?

Thanks for any assistance!
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 am

Re: CD Soundmaster T*****t Console..

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Thank-you Michael ... I'll send an email ...and
THANK-YOU for the 'professional courtesy' :D


Speaking of the T*****t ... is, or will there, be a panning modual ??

One of 'our' fine members here indicated that the 3dB pan-law was thought to be ... do we have confirmation on this particular model?

Thanks for any clarification.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron