Login

Hi guys , new to Nebula - Mastering options

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Hi guys , new to Nebula - Mastering options

Postby faun2500 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 pm

highvoltage wrote:i had some good luck with the Fate compressor VERY lightly on the master. It adds (sometimes even too much) punch and rounds the transients nicely.

Alexb's 4K Bus compressor also very good (and surprisingly transparent compared to plugin S*L's)on master channel.

I have also used the fate before (very nice program).

I usally have 4k on the bus for my own tunes and then use another mastering compressor if its needed. Works well i think.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cps418 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

You know, you don't have to jump ahead of yourself to mastering if your looking for something soft, or smooth sounding. In your mixing stage you could actually achieve a smooth transient sound. I think the mammoth eq is good for that. It has a very silky sound to it. and then I think you could use the vmu comp to or the german eqs to dial in some sheen (transients) to your liking.
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ged333 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Well just to let you guys know I've been doing digital mastering for bands for the last 8 years
(all digital, artists have had airplay here in the UK)
but am really impressed with the sound of the free Nebula EQ/comps...
I am looking to update my master chain to get a more fat analog sound after using M****y/UA in my local studio ( and hearing the shocking difference)

Mastering a 100% digital mix with digital plugins really has left me cold now - there is no euphonic sound - no sound that is pleasing to the ear -
that is the reason the big mastering houses still use Analog gear

So far, Nebula free has, to my ears reached that sound 99.9%
though I know Nebula 3 pro would be my ideal purchase
followed by AlexB Pultec / GMC / and Fate comp/Dme68
not too sure about the Varimu - I don't want to add presence to a digital mix if I can help it.
ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mertayy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am

ged333 wrote:Well just to let you guys know I've been doing digital mastering for bands for the last 8 years
I am looking to update my master chain to get a more fat analog sound after using M****y/UA in my local studio ( and hearing the shocking difference)

Mastering a 100% digital mix with digital plugins really has left me cold now - there is no euphonic sound - no sound that is pleasing to the ear -

not too sure about the Varimu - I don't want to add presence to a digital mix if I can help it.

Besides the "ultra tech." sterile sounding plug-ins, for me Nebula was the first to nail the eq sound in plug-in world, specially for mastering. I'm pretty sure once you get really into Nebula, you'll appreciate the 3.rd part eq's more and more (in time I have deleted the free ones and don't use them anymore).

But for ITB comp.s specially for mastering (besides sterile ones, which I use very rare), the plug-in world today is IMO far from being close to analog comp.s.

Due to some reasons I couldn't test the new comp.s for mastering yet but I'm very curious. Before these releases when needed I placed subtle colored presets (sometimes even preamp emulations) and a digital comp. after that, wasn't extremely satisfying but worked good enough.
mertayy

Postby cps418 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 am

ged333 wrote:Well just to let you guys know I've been doing digital mastering for bands for the last 8 years

If you are mastering from that starting point, then, I think even more than ever mammoth is the way to go. You truly don't want to add any neb sheen to a finished digital sheen. Maybe neb character, and body. In fact, "M****y",(mammoth) is a top mastering eq of todays "digital mixes".
cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:11 am

I don't think it has been mentioned yet so...

One of the major 3rd party developers is himself a mastering engineer as his primary trade. He made a special library for mastering aptly titled the Mastering Suite. I can't give you too much testimonial as I don't really master (my approach to mastering doesn't even merit discussion) but it's a Nebula library created by a great developer specifically for mastering. I do own the library and, for me, the HP filters alone were worth the purchase price, I actually used them all the time (this library preceded many of the other awesome filters that are available today).

Another viable program for your specific goal I haven't seen in the thread is the Nagra T-Audio tape library. For warming digital mixes sometimes tape is a very easy solution (and the Nebula tapes are pretty awesome). There are also good decks in the R2R library for mastering but that's a big multi-purpose library that may be overkill depending on how interested you are in tapes.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am

I am looking for thick sounding / transient smoothing compression
Im probably wrong but here goes http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084
Try a mix of 'all-in', slow attack & moderate-low thresh so it just twitches

the best nebula compressors for mastering purposes

fate is VERY nice. i never use it. VM-Comp is delicious & use it infrequently. stick it in front of the vm-tube. or after it. 4KD I just dont like. dunno why. DME1968 sounds like expensive hardware. hardly use it. they all sound like hardware. most of it I havent learnt how to use..

If your goal is to make things sounds nicer, louder, equally excellent on all playback mechanisms, and in the context of an album, contextual: its no less difficult to do with nebula than other tools I guess. got to be cheaper though. try everything you can afford.cheers :D
sneaky

Postby ged333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Hell I'd buy Neb 3 pro and all those programs now - but I am getting married in September and cannot justify another Audio purchse till after it -

But - I am very impressed with the development of this - and cannot wait to try the AlexB programs + the other 3rd party lib's
ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ged333 wrote:Hell I'd buy Neb 3 pro and all those programs now - but I am getting married in September and cannot justify another Audio purchse till after it -

But - I am very impressed with the development of this - and cannot wait to try the AlexB programs + the other 3rd party lib's

PM
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

sneaky wrote:
I am looking for thick sounding / transient smoothing compression
Im probably wrong but here goes http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084
Try a mix of 'all-in', slow attack & moderate-low thresh so it just twitches

the best nebula compressors for mastering purposes

fate is VERY nice. i never use it. VM-Comp is delicious & use it infrequently. stick it in front of the vm-tube. or after it. 4KD I just dont like. dunno why. DME1968 sounds like expensive hardware. hardly use it. they all sound like hardware. most of it I havent learnt how to use..

If your goal is to make things sounds nicer, louder, equally excellent on all playback mechanisms, and in the context of an album, contextual: its no less difficult to do with nebula than other tools I guess. got to be cheaper though. try everything you can afford.cheers :D

You're wrong yes.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries