Login

Your experience with compressor libraries.

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Your experience with compressor libraries.

Postby DavidMeShow » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 pm

DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby faun2500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Yeah, that's the link. I already have it. Have you bought it? I thought people would be fighting over it. :lol:
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby DavidMeShow » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 pm

lol sorry I read your post too fast. :P And yes, it's the link. Ahah!
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby darren » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 am

rhythminmind wrote:*naturally has a 0-20hz (minimum) side-chain rolloff. Do to most physical hardware limitations. This is something I always have to do manually with most digital plugins.

Just to be clear, do you mean that hardware compressors are insensitive to signals below 20hz and this is not the case with software emulations or straight algo compressors?
And when you have to mimic this behavior manually, you are using a high pass filter before the compressor to eliminate 20hz and below?

Cheers
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby rhythminmind » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:01 am

In the analog hardware world it is extremely unlikely that a compressors detector would receive anything from 20hz down. Something in the signal path if not the compressor itself would filter it out long before it had a chance. Most consoles, D/A's, or Tape machines won't reproduce that range in the 1st place.
With ITB/digital mixing we often deal with frequencies starting at DC onward. This can really interfere with a compressors response.
It's good/safe practice to HP filter just about everything.
In a mix context I personally HP filter most content besides kick/bass tracks at 60-120hz. Often much higher.
Kicks/Bass will usually get a 10-30hz rolloff.
Last edited by rhythminmind on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby nino » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:02 am

All analoq equipment has low and hi roll of.

In most cases that is why ITB mixes sound harsh and muddy.
There is no filtering introduced.
nino
User Level X
User Level X

Postby darren » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:24 am

Indeed yeah - I generally have a high pass on every channel that starts rolling off at 30hz steeply. That was just a way of making sure, at a low level, that I was not getting silly buildups of frequencies I didnt care about.

It's interesting what you say about analog having these natural low and high rolloffs though, in many instances I use a lowpass rolling off at 18khz as well .. and that was always to do with making sure I really did have bandwidth up towards that region should I need it for cymbal sizzle or anything else.

It's only since I started using Nebula that my mindset has started to work towards achieving and retaining a more analog sound, or at least to attempt to harness the sweetness and focus that analog can provide.
It's a funny business for sure, but since talking to folks who orbit around this Nebula tech I am starting to get a feel for it. It's certainly a wonderful learning experience for me.
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mauri » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:33 pm

darren wrote:Indeed yeah - I generally have a high pass on every channel that starts rolling off at 30hz steeply. That was just a way of making sure, at a low level, that I was not getting silly buildups of frequencies I didnt care about.

It's interesting what you say about analog having these natural low and high rolloffs though, in many instances I use a lowpass rolling off at 18khz as well .. and that was always to do with making sure I really did have bandwidth up towards that region should I need it for cymbal sizzle or anything else.

It's only since I started using Nebula that my mindset has started to work towards achieving and retaining a more analog sound, or at least to attempt to harness the sweetness and focus that analog can provide.
It's a funny business for sure, but since talking to folks who orbit around this Nebula tech I am starting to get a feel for it. It's certainly a wonderful learning experience for me.

Quoting a part of Darren's post:
"It's a funny business for sure, but since talking to folks who orbit around this Nebula tech I am starting to get a feel for it. It's certainly a wonderful learning experience for me."

For an oldish (ambitionless, still a-rocker, mainly for the enjoyment) bloke like me all this is also great fun;).

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby woeischris » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:17 pm

rhythminmind wrote:
The attack limitation isn't of much concern to me. I rarely if ever use an attack time faster then 10ms. 10-50ms is the "punch spot" for drum transients to pass.

This. 100%. I love what Nebula comps, particularly the 4KD, do to snare and toms. The 165a at 20:1 with quick attack/release also fucks up a drum room like nothing else in the most awesome way. If you're using R2R/TB+/VTM-M2 on everything, this combo (or even just the VTM-M2) will help with those intense transients, making Nebula comps that much more practical.

Fate does great things to heavily distorted guitars but the lack of variable attack makes it inappropriate for certain sources, at least for me. The way it makes things sit in the mix, though, is just fantastic.

Still using the Glue for drum buss and overheads because of the parallel compression options and simplicity. I should probably experiment with just doing it manually using sends but with no free time to play, I'm sort of stuck with what I know works right now. Just got Eric's two newest and I have no idea when I'll actually get to play around with them!
woeischris

Postby dacaveprods » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi, Where do i find DrawHer??? Thanx in Advance!!!
dacaveprods

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries