Login

is Nebula ready for a limiter?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: is Nebula ready for a limiter?

Postby greekpeet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm

faun2500 wrote:In some music a brickwall limiter is very useful. Doesn't have to turn everything to noise. :roll:

Can't wait for the compressor to go with the mastering console! :D

That is true, and in some cases they can be good tools, but people use them like they used gated snares in the 80s.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm

the thing i hate about limited music is that the drums don't punch out above the rest of the music anymore. it's funny when, you have a group like the chemical brothers, for example, who were called 'big beat', and back then i thought their drums sounded really good (the patterns etc), but if you listen to anything from dig your own hole or that era now, you can hear that the drums are completely squashed and have no punch at all. all you are hearing is the 'sound' of a drum, but not the impact of it. how is that big? pretty much every music style does this now too, not just electronic.

drums in the real world would never be squashed like that, so why do it on a record?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby greekpeet » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 pm

Cupwise wrote:the thing i hate about limited music is that the drums don't punch out above the rest of the music anymore. it's funny when, you have a group like the chemical brothers, for example, who were called 'big beat', and back then i thought their drums sounded really good (the patterns etc), but if you listen to anything from dig your own hole or that era now, you can hear that the drums are completely squashed and have no punch at all. all you are hearing is the 'sound' of a drum, but not the impact of it. how is that big? pretty much every music style does this now too, not just electronic.

drums in the real world would never be squashed like that, so why do it on a record?

wow, when you put it that way, with what Alex B stated, so right on.
"Music vs. Sound"
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby faun2500 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

I completely agree that music these days are over limited and sound shit. But that's not the only use for a limiter.

Some times you want a sound or instrument on a channel; to have a squashed sound or less peaks, some times in mixing peaks can be a problem sometimes in mastering you want to limit a few massive peaks that lowers the level of the total track.

All good ways to use a limiter, the problem is that the latter has been abused by people.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby DavidMeShow » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Limiter should always be used with care! It's a "destruction" tool that can be useful when needed. :ugeek:
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries