I love having different (at least two) libraries
of the same unit; the small differences in sonics,
as in 2 hardware units does something to the
stereo image that no other plugin can.
dpclarkson

Re: Erics gearing up for a nebula 1176

Postby biomuse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 pm

This is all old news, isn't it?

Nebula is unparalleled in providing accurate hardware texture, frequency information, overtone characteristics. With a few exceptions, I use 100% Nebula EQs when ITB now.

The technology on which Nebula is based simply cannot - and may never be able to - smack down hard on fast, large transients. It's the nature of the beast. Some hardware compressors can't (and are not built to) handle that job either; so we use other hammers for that nail. I always use Neb compressors for flavor and/or in an LA2A-like capacity; i.e. for overall dynamic control that doesn't rely on the ability to catch fast peaks. When needed, I precede the Neb comp with another compressor or clipper which is clean and fast and set at a high threshold; so I get high transient control from that plug and flavor from Nebula. Different tools for different tasks.

If I remember correctly, G or E mentioned the idea of eventually perhaps making Nebula into a "hybrid," conceptually similar to some hybrid algo/convo reverbs currently on the market, such that in a Nebula compressor the fastest dynamic window would be handled by an algorithmic (or a fairly colorless, high recalculation rate microkernel) component, while everything thereafter would be handled by vectorial Volterra kernel techniques as it is now. This makes a lot of sense to me.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 am

biomuse wrote:This is all old news, isn't it?

Nebula is unparalleled in providing accurate hardware texture, frequency information, overtone characteristics. With a few exceptions, I use 100% Nebula EQs when ITB now.

The technology on which Nebula is based simply cannot - and may never be able to - smack down hard on fast, large transients. It's the nature of the beast. Some hardware compressors can't (and are not built to) handle that job either; so we use other hammers for that nail. I always use Neb compressors for flavor and/or in an LA2A-like capacity; i.e. for overall dynamic control that doesn't rely on the ability to catch fast peaks. When needed, I precede the Neb comp with another compressor or clipper which is clean and fast and set at a high threshold; so I get high transient control from that plug and flavor from Nebula. Different tools for different tasks.

If I remember correctly, G or E mentioned the idea of eventually perhaps making Nebula into a "hybrid," conceptually similar to some hybrid algo/convo reverbs currently on the market, such that in a Nebula compressor the fastest dynamic window would be handled by an algorithmic (or a fairly colorless, high recalculation rate microkernel) component, while everything thereafter would be handled by vectorial Volterra kernel techniques as it is now. This makes a lot of sense to me.

yea I presented that hybrid idea to G last year. It came to me in a dream no less haha :lol:
But I think the hybrid would be incomparable!

Just checked the details in my email to G from last year about this hybrid, in the dream it was called "Mars" and it was written in red lol
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 am

1 - The "hybrid" is a very interesting idea.

2-
faun2500 wrote:nteresting topic here but as usual I have nothing of interest to add. :P
Apart from I think every person should sample every compressor ever made and everyone should buy all of them.
Or not. See.

:lol: Faun2500 my man who always refresh the mood when it gets tuff ! Good one as usual.

Plus a deep one.I'm definitely on Faun's side,and actually I think it's more of a "side" problem (I'm not talking of the first transient debate here).

In the HW world of course, having 3,4 or more units (when you or your studio could afford it), was simply the only solution.(Even magicians can't create 2 identical units).

And as usual in music, people started using their limitations/handicaps to create nu horizons (a pair of "different" 1176 on a stereo buss).Thats a very very good point dpclarkson.

So the refine my idea let's say that what Alex and others said about different libs. is totally valid and that my "side" is :

At this point in time.The infancy of Nebula compressors.Users may benefit more of a large palette of compressors (even of the same family vintage 1176 in "all revisions",Purple Audio,UA...) than sampling the"same" unit.And that's my point of view (Oh and Faun2500's obviously ;) ).

As for the lack of communication between 3rd party developer releases.I maintain my position.Y'all know what I'm talking about PERIOD.

In the futur, that might seriously affect the whole Nebula boat.Wait and see...and God knows I hope not ...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rhythminmind » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:50 am

Wait a minute, you say Nebula can sample compressors?

:)
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby elam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:00 am

;)
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby audioanal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 am

It's 1176 time. The main 3d developers are sampling the same piece of gear.
Analoginthebox, Transcendingmusic and AlexB are doing the 1176. Cool.
But... just one question:
Is Nebula able to the fast attack/release of an 1176?
Really?

Alex told me he is gonna sample a La2a. I asked Analoginthebox some time ago about the La2a and he told me is impossible today because Nebula can't reproduce the special La2a release time (50% fast, 50% slow).

I'm confused. ¿is possible to Alex but impossible to the others?
Has Nebula grown enough to deal with these features or developers are trying to get our money too quickly?
Are these compressors working as they must, or this is only marketing?
Last edited by audioanal on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audioanal
User Level II
User Level II

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Nah, I'm not going to do the 1176. I've just for a long time now supported the view that any preset created by more than one dev will still be unique. Akin to sitting in a real studio with real gear, having more than one of the same make and model will still be unique and is still valuable to the arsenal.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby audioanal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 pm

ooops, I'm sorry. I said transcendingmusic, but I was refering to rhytminmind. :oops:

Anyway I keep my question: could Nebula work accurately at this crazy att/rel times?
Cheers
audioanal
User Level II
User Level II

Postby faun2500 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 pm

@elam - I agree. I have just bought Eric's 76 and it handles very well.

I also like working within the limitations of nebula and I think that this one fact has helped my mixes & 'sound' a lot.

The 76 release seems to handle pretty quick release too.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries