Login

what can I expect from an emulation?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: what can I expect from an emulation?

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 am

biomuse wrote:Both of the characteristics you name (frequency curve changes and harmonic distortion) could be achieved by standard (static) convolution.

i uhh, didn't think 'standard' convolution could do harmonic distortion. maybe i'm wrong but i thought that was one of the whole breakthroughs of volterra kernels. ?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby biomuse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:59 am

You're actually right, Tim. Static convolution can add overtones, but only as a snapshot from one or more fixed fundamentals, in which case it's really just a fancy eq curve and not "harmonic distortion" in the dynamic sense. I'm pretty sure that as far as convolution goes, only Nebula or other dynamic convolution processes (like that of the late Liquid Mix) can determine its output harmonics profile from input in real time.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby prosodio » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am

Let´s see, nebula feels like using hardware, not exactly like the devices it´s sampled from.... but very close. It has some advantages like no noise, no crosstalk .... When I mix, I tend to use tape+eq+console+panner for each track, submix busses and console master bus+tape in master channel: full and great analog sound, no question. Today, with all these 3rd developers and the quality of their work, the differences rely on personal choices, not in the tools, at least for me.

Greetings
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby yr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 pm

prosodio wrote:Let´s see, nebula feels like using hardware, not exactly like the devices it´s sampled from.... but very close. It has some advantages like no noise, no crosstalk .... When I mix, I tend to use tape+eq+console+panner for each track, submix busses and console master bus+tape in master channel: full and great analog sound, no question. Today, with all these 3rd developers and the quality of their work, the differences rely on personal choices, not in the tools, at least for me.

Greetings

I think your observation is not restricted to Nebula- assuming you can mix if you own Nebula (or any other piece of software/hardware) is false. Likewise there are enough good engineers using "standard" tools (such as daw's eq/comps) to achieve good results. Its nice knowing though, that you are not compromising when using Nebula compared to other software EQ/saturation etc
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby prosodio » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I said "at leas for me". I can´t compare any software eq/comp/consoles emulation with the nebula ones in terms of quality. Nebula is always (at leas for me) better in termis of density, 3d and phase coherence.
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries