Login

Console With Most Character?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Console With Most Character?

Postby kungfujeezus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something. I'm looking for a console that is not so "subtle" for use on many individual tracks and busses. Which nebula console, in your opinion has the most character, or changes the sound in the most interesting way? Thanks!
kungfujeezus
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Console With Most Character?

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 am

That's a tough one. For general use, CDSoundmasters Bogen console is definitely not subtle, especially if you use every different function and set it up like a complete virtual console. In the Alex B stuff, I would say that the Vintage Sidecar console fills the bill of most not-subtle. I like his Modern Logic best, but you wanted the less subtle. Analog In The Box has the Tube Console Bundle which is also very not-subtle, but it does not have presets to formulate a complete virtual console like the others. Good question though. There are so many good ones and the subtle-vs-not subtle really depends on what you are creating. I use Alex B's Vintage Blue Console often and on it's own, it is a little subtle. But throw in a good pre-amp and/or tape preset and suddenly subtlety is gone! Basically, any of the good console libraries will do wonders to your mixes. In facr, the subtle ones are much more versatile in my opinion.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby greekpeet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 am

CDSM Bogen all the way, but you have to decide if thats what you want across the mix.

Use the Bogen and combo it up with the R2R, use it correctly it can sound amazing in the mix.

Haven't used the Bogen across the entire mix but its one of those top 4 chain tools I like for character.

R2R, TB+, Alex B Preamp color suite, and the Bogen.

Alex B's MBC is really great for character.

I'd say get em all and run the top 4 like your preamps and then through the MBC or MLC.

Awesomeness.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 am

greekpeet wrote:CDSM Bogen all the way, but you have to decide if thats what you want across the mix.

Use the Bogen and combo it up with the R2R, use it correctly it can sound amazing in the mix.

Haven't used the Bogen across the entire mix but its one of those top 4 chain tools I like for character.

R2R, TB+, Alex B Preamp color suite, and the Bogen.

Alex B's MBC is really great for character.

I'd say get em all and run the top 4 like your preamps and then through the MBC or MLC.

Awesomeness.

Yeah, that. ^^^^

Good advice. Like I said, they are all good. I haven't heard any Nebula console or preamp libraries (from CDSM, Alex, or Eric) that could make things sound bad. It's just a matter of how you want your audio to be affected.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby prosodio » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:44 pm

MWC, MBC, VBC and MTC from Alex are the best for me. I´m in the colour side, so S*L is not my cup of tea. But those 4 are absolutely stellar. SC81 mix buss for drum mix is the bomb!! Having all that inputs, submix busses and master busses to chose from is a big advantage.

Greetings
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Have a listen. In addition to the Bogen, which is certainly a lot of drive, I would check out the Globe, it has some very interesting behavior on the lows and highs.

Not all of the available consoles are represented in this comparison but a lot of them are.

Most of the consoles are capable of fairly heavy coloration they're just all different colors.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries