Login

Tape echo?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Tape echo?

Postby woeischris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:07 pm

Anyone know of a good, recent tape echo plugin? Maybe a Roland SRE-555 or RE-201?
woeischris

Re: Tape echo?

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Maybe we could create one ourselves by using a tape prog.

Send a track to fx channel put a digital delay plug set to wet with one repeat then a nebula tape after .Then you have one repeat that is time mod.

If you want more reapeats you need figure a way of feeding the delay/tape wet signal back into the fx channel again.this way you can get darker and darker repeats.

Think i've done this before.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm

That's really interesting! You could do it with a series of sends, each with a tape and then a clean delay that repeats once. You could probably find a way to run this through NAT and make a custom library, couldn't you? I've never used NAT before so I don't know.

In the meantime, would love an existing library if something is out there!
woeischris

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm

The only nebula tape echo is Eric's echo plex .It sounds lovely but is limited to a set time.

If some one could sample wow and flutter only .We could use the system I mentioned with any tape selection and a wow and flutter neb too for accurate tape echo simulation.The reason I mentioned it in the post before was so you can adjust the time easily ,Which cannot do in nebula right now.

I'm not sure what you mean about running through nat again?

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Really need some echo/delay for nebula! :)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:07 am

timp wrote:If some one could sample wow and flutter only .We could use the system I mentioned with any tape selection and a wow and flutter neb too for accurate tape echo simulation.The reason I mentioned it in the post before was so you can adjust the time easily ,Which cannot do in nebula right now.
Tim

you can't 'sample' wow and flutter. wow and flutter is basically like a really fast vibrato caused by the speed fluctuations of the motor in whatever hardware (tape deck or vinyl). nebula can sample a frequency response, dynamic response, phase, but not pitch changes caused by speed differences. actually wow and flutter causes problems with what nebula can do. in tape programs for example you get a really jagged looking freq response because of it, which i understand to be the result of NAT not seeing the cycles of the sine tone used in sampling, when it is shifted too far away from where it is 'supposed' to be. this gets more drastic at higher frequencies.

anyway i don't see any point in the future where nebula will be able to 'sample' wow and flutter, because it has nothing to do with what it does. if you want it, you will need a fast vibrato effect.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 pm

I have experimented with feedback you guys mentioned.

There is a VST called Senderella, which basically can transport audio through its instances, so you can send something to a send bus, and insert one senderella to the top and the end of the chain, and have the last one to feed back to the first. You have to let the signal through on the last one too.

Never tried with nebula inside the chain, cause it introduces a lot of delay on its own, but i might try it with my nebula-compressor.dll which is almost real-time.

I made some sweet delays with this procedure tho, but i remember having some quirks with senderella.

here is the link
http://www.kvraudio.com/db/senderella_by_subminimal
highvoltage

Postby highvoltage » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Here, i made some tests:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/634580/stuff/DE ... 20test.mp3

(First two snare hits ate clean, then all the different programs.)

I inserted a little saturation in the chain, to be on the safe side, plus it really added body to each subsequent feedback. I tested a few nebula programs.

The new Cassette library seemed to be the most usable, but it was interesting with the Bogen Eq, the Coolteq, or the revox tape, and the wollensak was very retro :) The struder and otari tapes were too subtle for an effect even on long feedbacks. The last one is the 4kD compressor fighting the feedback, which was an interesting effect too.
highvoltage

Postby woeischris » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 pm

That is awesome! The samples sound cool, though I need to listen to the file on my monitors when I get a minute. Reaper apparently also has a feedback loop setting that is built for just this, I'll probably play around with it a bit myself. Great of you to take the time playing with this. Think you'll use it in production?
woeischris

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 am

Hey thats great!

Just tried it my self .I was trying to figure a way of doing this very thing. Thanks!

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries