Login

AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm

giancarlo wrote:
yr wrote:
giancarlo wrote:it's a limitation related with the attack of nebula and prog rate. If prog rate is fast enough it will not happen though; anyway if you go faster you could introduce ringing artifacts (in commercial compressors it doesn't happens because the envelope follower is filtered, you could do the same in nebula using sidechaining). It's the ONLY issue introduced by nebula, we explained it in almost all topics about dynamic behaviour. Apart that, the emulation of nebula is very close. Using the prog rate introduced by alexb, Nebula could be late of about 18 ms, which is not a big deal for classic audio sources. If you need to compress an 808 bottom drum use something else ;)
Enjoy the 3d sound, I bet you can't do that using stock plugins. I think you don't have issues at all if you plan to use this nebula for pop/dance tracks in sidechain mode, which is the main application area for this little gem (18 ms are neglegible for sidechain compression).

I'm a bit confused. I only tried the demo presets- the gc one has a fixed attack time of 30ms. Tried it with both default settings and prograte set to 250 and I still get the same results. How fast do I need to set the prograte to get it working properly?

use the program "as is". You can't change prog rate in FFT based kernels. And the thing I was explaining is not related with attack or release time you read in nebula displays. Don't confuse attack and release times with errors related with compression and attack times.

The thing is, that unless I'm using very long release times with the channel preset (about 1.6sec) I get the same problems (Nebula default parameters used). With the GC preset I always get this odd wav shapes regardless of the amount of compression. If this issues are related to Nebula, why can't I recreate this same problems with the "fate" comp and the DME 1968? -it would really help if someone else could ran similar tests so that we know for sure that it isn't system related...
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby vicnestE » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm

to yr: please post the wave files or mp3 file of the sound you described. It would be clearer.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:09 pm

vicnestE wrote:to yr: please post the wave files or mp3 file of the sound you described. It would be clearer.

Sure (attached)- first a few uncompressed pulses and then a couple via the GC preset. I can't replicate this with other Nebula comps other then the 165a.
COMP TEST.wav
(8.27 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby himhui » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:35 pm

yr wrote:
vicnestE wrote:to yr: please post the wave files or mp3 file of the sound you described. It would be clearer.

Sure (attached)- first a few uncompressed pulses and then a couple via the GC preset. I can't replicate this with other Nebula comps other then the 165a.
COMP TEST.wav

what is the setting of your 4KD preset?
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.29 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm

It's the GC- it has fixed attack/release (30ms/0.3sec). Threshold doesn't make a difference. You can recreate this problem with the other demo preset- you will hear it unless you use very long release times.
Last edited by yr on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:41 pm

How about this:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

It's eliminating the distortion, but does it affect the accuracy?
dpclarkson

Postby himhui » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 pm

yr wrote:It's the GC- it has fixed attack/release (30ms/0.3sec). Threshold doesn't make a difference. You can recreate this problem with the other demo preset- you will hear it unless you use very long release times.

OK, i got your point
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.29 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:46 pm

dpclarkson wrote:How about this:

Thanks for the tip- I will try it out. Since the curve type and kernel switching are effected then (I guess) it must change the behavior of the compressor.
Edit: lindb does eliminate the distortion but changes the sound. Would be interesting to hear AlexB & Giancarlo take on this issues.
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Alex.

If you're about could you confirm if you received a return customer order from andygrimwood.

Sent via your web form yesterday but no response yet

Thanks
Grim.
Grim

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 pm

yr wrote:
dpclarkson wrote:How about this:

Thanks for the tip- I will try it out. Since the curve type and kernel switching are effected then (I guess) it must change the behavior of the compressor.
Edit: lindb does eliminate the distortion but changes the sound. Would be interesting to hear AlexB & Giancarlo take on this issues.

it's a different way for fade out/in each block. Dynamic level is unchanged, frequency response too, and so harmonic distortion.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries