Login

AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 am

it's a limitation related with the attack of nebula and prog rate. If prog rate is fast enough it will not happen though; anyway if you go faster you could introduce ringing artifacts (in commercial compressors it doesn't happens because the envelope follower is filtered, you could do the same in nebula using sidechaining). It's the ONLY issue introduced by nebula, we explained it in almost all topics about dynamic behaviour. Apart that, the emulation of nebula is very close. Using the prog rate introduced by alexb, Nebula could be late of about 18 ms, which is not a big deal for classic audio sources. If you need to compress an 808 bottom drum use something else ;)
Enjoy the 3d sound, I bet you can't do that using stock plugins. I think you don't have issues at all if you plan to use this nebula for pop/dance tracks in sidechain mode, which is the main application area for this little gem (18 ms are neglegible for sidechain compression).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:43 am

After Giancarlos post im confused. I though this update of Nebula solved the compression issue or are you saying work still needs to be done? If so Giancarlo please put this to top of your agenda.
Out of interest. Once Nebula has been tweaked to fix its problems with fast attack times do developers have to capture their libraries again?
sfunk

Postby Definity » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:05 pm

do i need nebula 3 pro to play with the attack and release time? cos i only got nebula 3 and i cant change them.
Definity

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:08 pm

giancarlo wrote:it's a limitation related with the attack of nebula and prog rate. If prog rate is fast enough it will not happen though; anyway if you go faster you could introduce ringing artifacts (in commercial compressors it doesn't happens because the envelope follower is filtered, you could do the same in nebula using sidechaining). It's the ONLY issue introduced by nebula, we explained it in almost all topics about dynamic behaviour. Apart that, the emulation of nebula is very close. Using the prog rate introduced by alexb, Nebula could be late of about 18 ms, which is not a big deal for classic audio sources. If you need to compress an 808 bottom drum use something else ;)
Enjoy the 3d sound, I bet you can't do that using stock plugins. I think you don't have issues at all if you plan to use this nebula for pop/dance tracks in sidechain mode, which is the main application area for this little gem (18 ms are neglegible for sidechain compression).

I'm a bit confused. I only tried the demo presets- the gc one has a fixed attack time of 30ms. Tried it with both default settings and prograte set to 250 and I still get the same results. How fast do I need to set the prograte to get it working properly?
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Tried it with both default settings and prograte set to 250 and I still get the same results. How fast do I need to set the prograte to get it working properly?

Same here, tried it both ways, but no cigar :?
dpclarkson

Postby sfunk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 pm

why do we need to change prog rate to 250?
sfunk

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Why people don't read user manual and README file ? :?
From readme in DEMO :

Restrictions:
- Only one preset of Channel Compressor with full controls
- Only one preset of GComp with fixed attack and release
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 pm

AlexB wrote:Why people don't read user manual and README file ? :?
From readme in DEMO :

Restrictions:
- Only one preset of Channel Compressor with full controls
- Only one preset of GComp with fixed attack and release

I've read the readme file. Are you saying that using 30ms attack & 0.3sec release this compressor is supposed to distort and create odd looking wav shapes? Can it be solved by using a side-chain?
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 pm

yr wrote:
giancarlo wrote:it's a limitation related with the attack of nebula and prog rate. If prog rate is fast enough it will not happen though; anyway if you go faster you could introduce ringing artifacts (in commercial compressors it doesn't happens because the envelope follower is filtered, you could do the same in nebula using sidechaining). It's the ONLY issue introduced by nebula, we explained it in almost all topics about dynamic behaviour. Apart that, the emulation of nebula is very close. Using the prog rate introduced by alexb, Nebula could be late of about 18 ms, which is not a big deal for classic audio sources. If you need to compress an 808 bottom drum use something else ;)

I'm a bit confused. I only tried the demo presets- the gc one has a fixed attack time of 30ms. Tried it with both default settings and prograte set to 250 and I still get the same results. How fast do I need to set the prograte to get it working properly?

use the program "as is". You can't change prog rate in FFT based kernels. And the thing I was explaining is not related with attack or release time you read in nebula displays. Don't confuse attack and release times with errors related with compression and attack times.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:33 pm

sfunk wrote:If so Giancarlo please put this to top of your agenda.

if you have a such good release it's because we are solving issues.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries