Login

AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:36 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:No, it hasn't. In fact, I'm very happy to read, finally, an accurate term (maybe not technological but at least more specific) to describe what VST compressors are missing: clamping. That's exactly what I hear and still need... my quest isn't over yet :)

I have to give credit where credit is due, that is Larry Gates' term. But that is the only time I've ever heard someone describe the difference between hardware and software compressors that made any sense to me. I haven't seen him around here or the REAPER forums lately but sometimes he could really cut to the heart of a matter in few words.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:50 am

I'm quite a bit more comfortable using the 4KD on kick and snare than any previous Nebula release. It feels a lot more accurate, though that may have more to do with this recent update than the library itself. As good as it sounds, I love The Glue's parallel feature and will probably continue using it a lot because of that. Already preferring this library on some sources, though.
woeischris

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 am

Hi ngarjuna,

No problem to me ... your postings are never offensive.

Ahhh ... descriptive terminology. Gee, I'm certainly NOT the one to describe anything, as I can easily butcher the English language :lol:

Regarding plugin vs hardware, and specifically ATTACK times ... I think that 'digital' can achieve shorts times beyond what hardware could do. [Now, today might be different ... not sure].

Anyway ... 'my' use of the term 'flat' does NOT refer to anything specifically technical such as attack or release times ... let me try an analogy ... the perceived difference between video and film may shed light on this. Well, maybe that doesn't help ... but thinking of 'flat', like a sheet of paper.
As an aside ... I remember my first time at Bernie Grundman's Mastering [LA], and I heard my very first mastering session ... well, in the process, I was invited to hang out and listen to some other projects with Bernie ... one being a Quincy Jones recording that was soon to be released. I distinctly remember feeling like I could look around the sides of the acoustic bass just by craning my head over. It was like a sonic hologram [wasn't that the name of our 8th world tour ?? ahhh so many can't remember them all :lol:
The feeling that you can see/hear around all the instruments with their space, depth, height, positioning on the 'stage' ... its' LIVE, real. The listener is actually 'invited' in the track. Now, ALL kinds of compression and effects can/do happen. The 'dynamic' expression of each instrument can be held as firm or wild as desired, but the SIZE of the stage can seemingly span to the edges of perception.

OK ... OK ... can a single compressor be responsible for all this ... well, compression 'MAY' have been the precursor to the 'Big Bang' ... but to be fair ... from the arrangement/performance, the orchestration/instrumentation, through the miking in the chosen 'field' ... right on through the re-creation of the presentation sound stage of the final 2 mix, all the elements [including the tools we use to record and mix] contribute to the illusion and experience we want the listen to have. Transport them into a new 'world' ... call it entertainment :mrgreen:

As you can read ... I am not the one to verbally describe this adequately. The closest I've gotten to it is through playing drums [something I've just recently had the opportunity to do with some wonderful musicians].

Hey ... these are just some of my feelings, and really have no bearing or interest to most. I have a deep passion for the art science of sound and music. Like many others, I've have spent lots of $$$ [since retiring from the daily session work] and pursue [through computers and plugins] the 'sounds'. Nebula, and the various libraries have re-inspired my quest to listen/learn and create. I'm currently in construction of a new mastering room because of this.
To be able to switch from one console, or eq or compressor, and not have to leave my chair is an experience I want to delve into for how evr long my hearing stays sharp.
Yesterday I received the latest CDS upgrade for the GEO EQ ... to be able to add 1.3dB at 4k and bring
a buried vocal to the front of a live recording in a musical way is what I'm used to. It's SUPPOSE to sound better than when we get the tracks. A little coloring if we want, or transparent. I like it when the tools bring a little magic to the show.

... back to work on the room! a 300 lb door just went up the other day. Drywall guys in at noon tomorrow :D

All the Best !
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby biomuse » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:49 am

AlexB wrote:Yes, this will help me for the next release:

Modern White Dynamic ;)

oh HELL yes!!! 8-)
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sneaky » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am

I like the demo. And its limitations. Ive got a couple of alex's console libraries. And gallons of compressors already. For the moment the demo is all I need :D
sneaky

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 am

Can someone please repeat the test I've done: use short sine waves (0.5sec/-12dBFS) with the Demo presets and post the results? I've tried it on 2 computers with both default and tweaked settings and I keep getting the same clipping at the beginning of the waves. Ahead has no effect.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 am

yr wrote:Can someone please repeat the test I've done: use short sine waves with the Demo presets and post the results? I've tried it on 2 computers with both default and tweaked settings and I keep getting the same clipping at the beginning of the waves. Tried it on both 44.1/96kHz with a -12dBFS signal.

I'll do it tomorrow, sounds interesting... though, I haven't heard such clipping so far on "real" material. Short attack times sound bad but that's something we have to live with for now.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby faun2500 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 am

I too have noticed distortion on bass sounds. It's not overloading the inputs or clipping because I have them all set up with meters.

The compressors sound amazing. I had 'THE GLUE' on a bus with sidechain for that classic trance sidechain pumping and when I compared to Alex b's with the same settings the difference was huge, I mean HUGE!

The group compressor has given me that tight, focused sound on the output bus.

The channel compressor has added attack to an old snare that now pings out the speakers.

But now my proper testing begins...
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:
yr wrote:Can someone please repeat the test I've done: use short sine waves with the Demo presets and post the results? I've tried it on 2 computers with both default and tweaked settings and I keep getting the same clipping at the beginning of the waves. Tried it on both 44.1/96kHz with a -12dBFS signal.

I'll do it tomorrow, sounds interesting... though, I haven't heard such clipping so far on "real" material. Short attack times sound bad but that's something we have to live with for now.

When I use it on percussion instruments it almost sounds like a transient designer only less clean. I guess the added distortion at the beginning of the signal adds "snap". I can reproduce this issues with some Nebula comps (165a) but not all. I wonder if it is somehow system related... would be strange though since I've tested it on 2 very different machines.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am

When I use it on percussion instruments it almost sounds like a transient designer only less clean. I guess the added distortion at the beginning of the signal adds "snap". I can reproduce this issues with some Nebula comps (165a) but not all. I wonder if it is somehow system related... would be strange though since I've tested it on 2 very different machines.

I used to have a hardware 165a, but it never behaved like that,
not even when having massive amounts of gain reduction.
It sounds like a limitation of Nebula, but I can't say for sure.
dpclarkson

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries