Login

AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Postby AlexB » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:32 pm

You have sometings wrong in your system or in the skin.
Please check again.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Arne » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Meters works, but not in Prog page, sorry my faults...they do work :-)

The sound is really smoothy glue! Great work!
Last edited by Arne on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby sfunk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Alex-we arent saying we like the pumping sound of the Glue its just odd that we can't get the GC to do that extreme setting. I only tried it because i couldnt honestly hear your program doing a thing on my Stereo bus and though lets turn it up all to 11 and see if i can hear it.....the answer was no!
Anyway it does seem to be working now-as i said on a project that had no Nebula instances.
What are the correct settings for these programs or does it automatically set these for the user?

Cheers
Last edited by sfunk on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfunk

Postby yr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm not having much luck with the demo presets- tried using them on percussion and they had a very strange effect on fast transients. I've tried checking the presets with some test tones and both presets create very odd looking wav forms just after the attack unless I use very long release times:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.62 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Just a quick listen since getting the new library.
Testing @ 96k only so far.
Latest NEB3 version with new metering.

All compressors working ! Definitely different than the GLUE [THANK GOODNESS] :lol:

The 'Talk-Back' compressor has that classic sound we heard in the headphones ... wow ... memories. This compressor can definitely distort when driven. Obviously, this is more of an effects usage.

As for the other compressors in this library ... what can I say. Closest S*L compressors in a plug-in to date.

Comparing [quickly] with something like the 'GLUE', I'd say, the GLUE may be 'more' user friendly, in that it seems to react much like most other VST plugs. The 4KD may take some experience to LEARN how to use it. The metering is tough. The display I've looked at with the Gain Reduction is more useful, but, I'd MUCH prefer seeing a GR - VU meter to actually 'see' how the meters dance to the track. There are workarounds that I'll use in the meantime.

All in all, from my quick audition, I can definitely see this tool getting used. More listening still to do, but without a doubt, the 'dimensionality' that this 4KD lib provides is very musical and welcomed.

This release marks an important step to Nebula users.
I very much hope that refinements continue and that the day will arrive that a mastering compressor [FairChild] would be a possibility.

AlexB ... thank you for creating this very useful library. I also will look for new releases!! Thanks
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Fairchild compressor would be amazing .But would be the real test for nebula on the gain reduction side of things.

I heard someone was going to sample a C******r tg .Where are you?!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby sfunk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 am

ha okay with more experimentation. Its all fine. As noted above this comp takes some getting used to. On dense material there seems to be a sweet spot after this it just turns "everything down"
Very good stuff!
sfunk

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 am

Mmmmhhhh...Perhaps we are accustomed to hear the plugin sound and the plugin compressors make the sound flat without dynamics. Nebula reacts like an hardware compressor. Who has worked with an hardware compressor can recognize this breath that only nebula has, while all plugins kill the life and dynamics. In a comparison test with the Glue at -12dB GR we have listened how the Glue (and other plugins) make the sound flat like a bad MP3 while Nebula still alive, moving the sound. Don't confuse the flat sound with compression... It's like confusing the compression in some console emulation by plugins with the natural harmonic saturation by nebula which preserves dynamics.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 am

Alex, how about the 'clipping' distortion as yr posted with the screenshot? When I reach 20dB of gain reduction with my hardware dbx-160a, I don't get such distortion/clipping, as opposed to this library only at 3db of gain reduction at fast attack & release times
I don't suppose that this is natural behaviour of a VCA-design compressor?
With the older compressors in Nebula, (747, bmx) massive gain reduction never suffered from clipping (rather zipping, LOL!).
Could you elaborate on this?
dpclarkson

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 am

Maybe it depends by the input level. See on the user manual the reference level : 0dBVU = -18dBfs.
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries