Login

AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 4KD PRO : Dynamics Collection

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

ngarjuna wrote:To be fair, Giancarlo has said many, MANY times that the settings you want to use are the default settings on installation. In almost every case where the settings varied from those desired defaults it was because people were manually editing their XML files which, while you certainly may do it, is completely at your own risk. It's actually more dangerous than tweaking those settings on the MAST page because at least on the MAST page you won't introduce any typographical errors.

That said, I'd still love to see a manual-type document about the default settings (and what the actual default values are), it would for sure be useful. Knowing that some of us do indeed tweak, it would be useful to occasionally check my files and make sure I didn't screw anything up.

agreed. Anyway the standard behaviour is safe: you load the preset and you don't touch MAST page. Preset will be loaded at internal default settings. For this reason new installers set nebula to "simple" mode, so you can't modify prog rate any more. Standard value is 2 ms
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby sfunk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for clarifying Giancarlo.
sfunk

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 am

Today I'll try to post a clarification note about compressors and dynamic programs in general, so you'll have a stick FAQ thread about this subject.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby venderkatz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Just got this late last night and tried one of the stock 2:1 presets on the 2 bus. Amazing 3D transformation! I've never been disappointed with any of your programs, but my first reaction is that this compressor is miles ahead of any other plugin comp that I've tried there. Thanks Alex.
venderkatz
User Level I
User Level I

Postby yewtreemagic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:25 pm

giancarlo wrote:Today I'll try to post a clarification note about compressors and dynamic programs in general, so you'll have a stick FAQ thread about this subject.

Wow, and what a post it is! 8-)

"Little note about compressors, myths and issues"
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1545

Many thanks for this giancarlo - it explains a lot, but since you've locked that post to prevent yet more questions, let me please thank you here for it, especially since it should result in lots fewer queries for Alex as well :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby yr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

yewtreemagic wrote:
giancarlo wrote:Today I'll try to post a clarification note about compressors and dynamic programs in general, so you'll have a stick FAQ thread about this subject.

Many thanks for this giancarlo - it explains a lot, but since you've locked that post to prevent yet more questions, let me please thank you here for it, especially since it should result in lots fewer queries for Alex as well :mrgreen:

Martin

- Obviously less questions about prograte & the dynamic accuracy of the Nebula compressors, but possibly more questions about distortion, harmonic distortion and sound-quality. It seems like switching the smooth2 parameter is a good solution for this specific compressor (at least the demo presets) since it eliminates the unwanted/unnecessary distortion. I think there has to be some experimentation to find out what is the trade-off.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 pm

yewtreemagic wrote:

Martin

thank you! I locked the topic in order to prevent a discussion there, so the message is clean!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:54 pm

I have a hypothetical question.

Based on what you're describing in the post about compressor settings (awesome post, btw, thanks G!), you mention that lowering the prog rate in order to speed up the compression behavior is at the expense of the sonic quality of the sampling session (truncating kernels and what not).

So my question is: is it not the a viable method, in preparing a compressor library, to sample the harmonics as one Nebula program (maybe you could even have a single control to adjust for higher and lower amounts of compression which do indeed affect the character) and the actual envelope following in a second instance that could be set with a lower prog_rate? Not sure if that's even possible (2 instances at different prog rates) but it just struck me that the process which protects the beauty of the saturation is precisely what is limiting the speed of attacks.

I could just have a fundamental misunderstanding of the process, though, I haven't sampled all that much and certainly not a compressor so I don't really know what's involved.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:04 pm

You are already doing it when you put a compressor before an other nebula compressor, or the plugin from cdsoundmaster. The trouble in your example is that you are applying things twice....
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

giancarlo wrote:You are already doing it when you put a compressor before an other nebula compressor, or the plugin from cdsoundmaster. The trouble in your example is that you are applying things twice....

But couldn't you separate the two instances (like CDSM's RASS) so that only one of the instances has the saturation and harmonics and what not and the other having only the envelope follower?

Obviously it would have to be sampled this way (can't do it with current programs like 4KD or Fate), but is that a feasible idea for a more accurate compression model without sacrificing the beauty of the saturation?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries