Login

Color Springs (demo set up!)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Color Springs (demo set up!)

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Color Springs, by Cupwise, is a set of 14 reverbs made from a not expensive gibbs spring reverb tank. anyone can buy one of these for cheap. how is this set of any value then? well, because each of the 14 sampled setups was done differently, in tricky ways, to get a lot of variety in tone and harmonic content. also, using Nebula you can control exactly how much distortion you get so these effects go beyond what you could get from the real thing. each effect is available in 1k and 6k versions, and the distortion was a main idea behind this set.

check out the site for more info,
to look at the manual,
to listen to audio demos,
but not to download the demo programs.
why?
because they aren't ready yet...
sorry!
they will be though! maybe tomorrow...

http://www.cupwise.com/ColorSprings.php

-tim
Last edited by Cupwise on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Color Springs

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 am

awesome ,

Downloading now! bargin

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 am

Nice sounding reverb!!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby kelu » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 am

never enough springs ,émulation ,static convolution and dynamic ,so many creative ways to rediscover them!!!
Bought and on the test now :D good job man
kelu
User Level I
User Level I

Postby futur2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 am

hi tim, i'm interested in your opinion concerning the quality difference using the 44.1khz version you downsampled with SoX versus using the 96khz version and automatically downsampling with nebulas own algorithm?
futur2

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

hi futur2. my opinion on that issue- well, the reason i used sox is because of the graphs over at
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
and because in my listening tests it sounds better than what i was using before i found sox (r8brain free), and because it is highly regarded. i made 44.1k versions mostly because of the convenience for people working in 44.1k, not having to wait for nebula to do those conversions. as far as the quality difference between sox and nebula's conversion, i would assume that sox might be a little more accurate, but only because those graphs show that it is more accurate (with measurable things like the lp filter and distortion) than even many expensive algorithms. i've seen giancarlo and co. say that nebula does pretty good SR, and i'll take their word for it. all of this is beside the actual sound and how these sound to me or to anyone else, which would come down to a matter of opinion and may not reflect the graphs at that site.

so my final word would be that, i would imagine that soxs graphs might look 'nicer' than nebula's, but nebula's quality is good enough that i can't really hear much of a difference, and the difference i hear i can't really say is better one way or the other. i have compared the two with my sets after i've used sox to convert them, but i never decided which sounded better. in my opinion, when SR conversions are good, it becomes hard to tell the difference. so, i use sox because it's well known as among the best free or pay SR programs, and because it saves time for users.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Cupwise wrote:so my final word would be that, i would imagine that soxs graphs might look 'nicer' than nebula's, but nebula's quality is good enough that i can't really hear much of a difference, and the difference i hear i can't really say is better one way or the other.

thanks tim! that's what i was really intersted in, if you could A. hear a difference (seems so) and B. prefer one over the other (nope it seems)... so i will just go with the 44.1 and be happy :mrgreen:
futur2

Postby yewtreemagic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Nice work Tim! 8-)

Great for the sound designer to have some more radical spring sounds to call on, and these sound great!

One tiny point - I've got 112 new GIBBS_SPRING_TANK programs in my Programs folder, the second half of which all start with GIBBS_SPRING_TANK_44 to show that they are the 44.1kHz versions.

However, within Nebula I simply get two identically named sets of 56 presets one after the other e.g the first and 57th are both named 'g tank 1 sht 1', the second and 58th are both 'g tank 1 sht 6' and so on (no '44' anywhere to be seen)

What have I done wrong? :oops:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Cupwise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:13 pm

you did nothing wrong, maybe i did! i guess it depends on how you look at it. i thought about how to handle that issue, but with nebula you have/had limits as to how many characters fit in a name. i think that limit is higher now with the new list view? but i guess since my tube radio sets i've still been stuck in the old way, making my program names go according to that old limit. so i didn't put any indicator in there because i didn't think it would fit but i guess now that i think about it, it would... or would it? i'm not totally sure, i'll go check.

i guess i didn't think anyone would be too bothered by it, since you can see which version a program is when you load them, and then you would know which set was which, and since most people will only have one set. but i did notice myself picking the wrong version a few times with both sets loaded, so maybe i should do something about that.

it would be a simple matter of adding '44.1k' to the 44k set and sending a small update zip to everyone with that. i suppose i should do it since someone DID notice and mentioned it, and it annoyed me a bit too. i have a few other things right now that are priority though so it might take a few days... then i'll update everything and send out zips.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:31 am

Couple things ...

First ... look forward to checking out your library.

Second ... this 'SOX' program. I've heard mention of it, but I've not been able to find the site? You mentioned [or I misunderstood] that this is a free app?? Does it run on PC ?? Might you have a site link ??

Wow ... lots of questions [sorry]. My SRC program has/is the r8Brain-pro. I am familiar with the comparison site you mentioned, but it has been a few years since I last researched on this ... I then bought the r8 program. I'd like to demo & compare the SOX app. Not that I'm that disappointed with r8, but I'm interested if a better choice is available.

The big 'issue' with these SRC apps is when you have side-by-side comparisons available as 'we' would have, the differences can be there. For the outside listener [without the original reference] wouldn't necessarily hear a problem. However, if something out there CAN minimize the diff ... I'd like to check it out!

Thanks!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries