Behemoth - New Preset

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Behemoth - New Preset

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:11 am

"Behemoth" - Psychoacoustic Processor
behebig.jpg
behebig.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

Meant for mastering (of course though, feel free to experiment), i.e. full stereo mixes or instrument bus groups; especially with low end content, this is based on a custom analog/digital chain that is intended to “clean-up” untamed low end while mostly intensifying lower level harmonic content associated with fundamentals. Although primarily aimed at low level low-mid frequency content, subtle higher details are also brought to the forefront.

The purpose here is to hopefully bring about fuller and more forward sounding program
material albeit in a non-traditional sense of compression or dynamic controlling. A consequence and benefit of this psycho-acoustic processing is the saving of a dB here and
there, sometimes more depending on the specific material at hand: fuller sounds at a similar output. A similar characteristic of the preset “So Transcited”. 3 processing levels controlled by one knob, plus the "Drive" parameter, more details better explained in the Read-me.

The demo is definitely subtle and with the full version (posting soon) you can get even more fullness, richness, etc. But give it a shot, leave comments, let me know what you think of this crazy little bastard. Oh, and yes the file-download really is THAT small ;)

Audio Demos: DivShare File - Behemoth Audio Demo_s.zip

Free Demo For Nebula Commercial: DivShare File - Behemoth Demo.zip

Free Demo For Nebula Free: DivShare File - Behemoth Demo NebulaFree.zip

Buy the full version!
Behemoth

Have fun 8-)
- B.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Re: Behemoth - New Preset

Postby zaminx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:50 am

Does not show up for me on Mac OSX with Nebula Pro 3
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby mertayy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 pm

I briefly tested on 2 full mixes. On an acoustic pop track it suited better on the side signal and with the rock mix though it took away too much low's, inserting something to bring it back after it helped the kick and bass to be defined easyer. Maybe a multiband comp. could be used to get pumpyer lows but I didn't try yet (I'm pretty slow on learning new presets :D ).

In future I guess something to complement it for tweaking the lows would be a nice experience. I also noticed it enhanced the stereo width on both mixes.
mertayy

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:54 pm

@ zaminx, which version are you running?

Thanks for the feedback mertayy. With the first level of processing, that's a pretty accurate description. While the other 2 levels are more about adding and apparent increasing. For that reason it was important to get them into the audio demo's. Use on the side signal is a cool idea btw...
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Oh cool! I'll check out a detailed description when available.
mertayy

Postby zaminx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:48 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:@ zaminx, which version are you running?

Thanks for the feedback mertayy. With the first level of processing, that's a pretty accurate description. While the other 2 levels are more about adding and apparent increasing. For that reason it was important to get them into the audio demo's. Use on the side signal is a cool idea btw...

Im running Nebula 3 Pro 1.401
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:48 pm

zaminx wrote:
TranscendingMusic wrote:@ zaminx, which version are you running?

Im running Nebula 3 Pro 1.401

k, looking into it...

mertayy I was in a rush earlier and forgot to say decrease your drive if you want to put back in any fundamental bass you feel was filtered too much. And Level 1 is more intended for single instrument use. Unfortunately the demo doesnt tell the whole story of the preset.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Sat May 01, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm very lucky Bob (Transcendingmusic) let me try the full version of Behemoth! Heres what happened while I tested 8-)

When I downloaded the library I double checked if everything was ok cause the file size was so small :) turns out it was working very well and super efficient!

I opened a random mix and started fooling around with the settings, something was going on but I really couldn't understand? After a few more mix's I decided to check it out with the vst analyzer (big mistake...).

Yep so I cheated :D this library is described as a bass enhancer but when I saw the freq. response I was even more confused as it seemed to be (usually) decreasing the bass. So I figured out I should stop fooling around and look into it deeper.

I could have done a null test but I decided to discover it with my personal work flow first. So I took a mix I mastered before and started to work on it all over again, I specifically picked one that had good low-end content (unlike the acoustic pop track I tried before, though nothing super heavy).

I started doing some processing with mostly eq (check out cdsoundmaster's tutorials on youtube. Though what I did was more detailed compared to the tutorials, it should give an idea). Lets say I basically balanced the song enough to get to the more creative/musical approaches next.

After that, again I tryed the library and BAM! it was right there! despite what I saw on the vst analyzer the track was kick'n! :D to fully have an idea of whats going on I did the same with other mix's of different style's of music (rock, electronica, pop-jazz...).

Right after that I did the null tests and had a better understanding of what it does. I then realized how much time I lost to create a similar effect before this library was available (created tracks, inserted plug-ins...could get really confusing and time consuming).

As I mentioned, the freq. response of the library totally lies to you about whats happening. It works with sources that already has enough low-end energy and sort of shapes them without being too destructive like a multi-band compressor. Since there's no attack/release time,crossover or threshhold its harder to go wrong.

Between the 3 level options I found myself using no: 2 the most.

-First one (available with demo) to be honest doesn't give enough idea about the other settings. I believe there's enough info already mentioned about it here so only further comment I can say is its subtle compared to later settings.

-With the second level it really starts to show itself. Low-end dynamics are (musically) improved and there's a subtle but really nice balance achieved on the whole spectrum.

-3'rd level is some-what similar to 2 but I found it to be more dependent on the track compared to the second level. From the mix's I tried sometimes it suited better than second level though what I noticed is specially if headroom isn't much, selecting Level 3 and decreasing the drive might work better than other settings.

From other library's I know, this one works very interesting with the 2 knobs available. After all the tweaking I realized the developer really nailed the drive amount as default (unlike various nebula releases, fine tuning with drive knob can be a more valid approach). Usually it didn't need any tweaking, just select a level and move on with the process. I only changed it to push things a little further but I imagine one wouldn't need to do that often.

To sum-up, here's what I discovered till now about what it can do:

-If you're struggling with the low-end to be defined better on the whole freq. spectrum or being able to be heard on smaller speakers better, then this is definitely what you need. Though I didn't try it on group channels extensively yet, if you have the problem of the kick not being heard on the higher freq.s, not getting enough punch with plug-ins you already have...there's a good chance this library can work.

-If you want loudness while mastering but finding yourself pushing the limiter too much to get closer to "that" sound, this library helps preventing over-compression ugliness ;)

-Depending on the material and approach, stereo image can be enhanced.

I have to say again from what I noticed its really important on what you're using it. Unlike an eq, it reacts to the source rather than defining itself with a certain static character. Selecting between only 3 levels and subtle drive changes can become a huge sonic palette of choices depending on the material...

Some things to point out: This library to me isn't for someone new to mastering, it can really become confusing if you're unsure of what you want. At least for mastering if I were to be new, I'd watch cdsoundmaster's tutorials (besides reading Bob Katz's book or digging forums to learn stuff) first.

While trying the demo or using the full release, place it around the further steps of a mastering chain to get the most of it.

Again I understood how hard it is to master with mid quality nearfield monitoring and room. Like me, if you don't have an ideal setup then changing between monitors and headphones (don't trust headphones blindly) or bypassing the plug-in to check what you're doing is really important. I imagine professionals would appreciate/find use for this tool more than the average home studio guy.

Keep in mind there are many possible approaches to use this library besides the basic attempts I explained here. There's no harm in trying ideas ;)

I'm in no way a professional mastering engineer (just a mastering hobbyist with bad English :D ) so I wouldn't mind someone correcting any of my comments or share more information about Behemoth. Finally, I'd like to thank the developer again for making this tool available!
mertayy

Postby farjedi » Sun May 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks for the detailed analysis, I'm intruiged by this and might give it a shot..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 pm

i cant get this to show in nebula 3 bundle?im running the latest version

EDIT:whats the name of the full preset??maybe the name got shortened?
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries