Login

R2R,Tape booster+,Mammoth eq on an orchestral piece

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

R2R,Tape booster+,Mammoth eq on an orchestral piece

Postby Veet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi there!
I just recently got into Nebula after using UAD for some years.
Recently, I worked on some orchestral music using Vsl (Vienna Symphonic Library) and the new MIR reverb of that company.
The stereo image with MIR is excelllent and I was pleased with it compared to Altiverb.
The problem I encountered here was that eqing and compressing the mix messes up the stereo image and all the good things MIR could do for the music.
Now, enter Nebula and the above mentioned 3rd party libraries!
With R2R (Studer 30) and tape booster I could get the sound and the compression right and all the mid mud is removed without using any eq. The stereo image remained 100% intact, something none of my other tools could do. In the end, I couldnt resist and use the new mammoth eq to boost the highs a bit. It may sound now a little bright compared to what you can hear in a concert hall. But in commercial soundtracks it is soo standard...
And just nice! To my ears the transparency improved quite a bit.
Here, I am using Genelec 1029 with sub. I wish I had some Klein&Hummel O300 for evaluating the subtle stuff going on with these Nebula plug-ins. If anybody thinks I went over the top with the Tape booster let me know it. If you drive it too much you will get audible distortion and some bass mud but on my system the present mix didnt go too far in that direction. Just enough to support the climaxes in a nice way.
Thanks to all the developpers who created some marvelous tools that I also can afford!
Here is the link for unprocessed/processed file:

http://www.box.net/shared/8533qj37yy
Veet
User Level II
User Level II

Re: R2R,Tape booster+,Mammoth eq on an orchestral piece

Postby Jozelo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Congratulations very, very good music, that kick has so much punch than the "original version".
Amazing stereo image and much better mid range.
Could you share with us how you used the R2R, Tape booster+, Mammoth eq? and if you used any library of Alex B?

Congratulations ! :)
Last edited by Jozelo on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jozelo
User Level I
User Level I

Postby himhui » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Yes, it's wider and deeper!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jeffsanders » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 am

Kickass music!! Sounds beautiful too. Can we have more details about the way you used those tape libs? I have r2r. Not Tape Boost yet...
jeffsanders
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Veet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 am

Thank you for your kind words. It was hard work for me to get there and a beautiful learning process also. :P
The Nebula fx were applied to the comparaison file (24bit) in the following order:
R2R Studer_-15_30a
TapeSat 44 2db
TapeSat 44 2db
Mammoth HiPk 8.2khz Bandwith: 100%,gain: 23%

It all depends on the input level with which you go into that chain. About half of the colour change of the processed file is due to the first three plug-ins, the rest is due to Mammoth.
Veet
User Level II
User Level II

Return to 3rd party libraries